Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-06-2013, 01:43 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Question X5 3.0D Gear Box

Hi All
My name is Ed and this is my first post
I have just brought a 2005 3.0d X5. I'm very pleased with the overall performance. However as this is the first car I have owned with a sophisticated auto box Im not sure if its performing as it should.
It goes through the gears ok in D except when breaking coming to a stop the transmission gives a little kick at very low speed nothing to bad but a little uncomfortable for any passengers.
Also If I use the Manual function Sequencing up and down is as expected however when slowing the box changes down automatically as expected from a high gear but will only go into 2nd when stopped 1st has to be selected manually (if needed) -
My question is this normal are the two issues above related and is there anything I can do to fix it.??
Many thanks
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0 D BMW 318tds
Hi Ed

It is pretty much normal - mine has been doing it intermittently for the 3 years I have owned it .

There are quite a lot of posts on BMW forums discussing the 'kick up the backside ' when coming to a stop.

Mine has never done it if I put it into 'Sport' mode as I come to a halt.

There are also various theories that a gearbox oil change cures or doesn't cure it , also a gearbox software update cures/doesn't cure it.

I have learned to live with it and if it's any consolation it hasn't gone any worse in 3 years.

Terry
Old 05-07-2013, 03:25 AM

Mein Auto: E53 X5 diesel
X5 3.0D Gear Box

Do an oil & filter change. Makes a big difference in gear change smoothness

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Thanks Guys - this is a great - appreciate your time to respond
Old 07-27-2013, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330i msport
Hi All, i am going to do an oil and filter change on my 04 x5 diesel, looked at the trans pan and it has two drain bungs one large with a large allen key and one small also allum key the larger one seems to be set up into the trans can anyone throw some light onto waht thes two are for 9i thought maybe the larger one is the filler???0