Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 05-18-2002, 08:42 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Confessions of a newbie

Someone sent me a PM a few weeks ago asking me to "come on down" and introduce my newbie self to you fine folks. Well, I finally noticed someone had sent me a PM this morning. Better late than never, I guess.

I'm Cliff and I am a soon to be first time BMW owner. As you have no doubt gathered from my sig, I have a 330Ci on order that is in transit at this point. The link in my sig will take you to a page I have put together to collect my thoughts, pictures, links, and whatever else I find interesting as I go through the experience. I am buying the car from East Bay BMW in Pleasanton and John Alastra is the salesman I am working with. So far so good.

I I fell head over heels in love with the E46 coupe as soon as I saw one, but it took me a more than a year to decide to buy one. BMW appears to have improved the car over that period of time, so I guess waiting was a good thing. My first mod will likely be a high performance driving class, but I have to go for a road trip and get the new car through its break-in period first. I may get some moderate window tint (I hear Formula One is a good choice?) and sways, but I like the stock sheetmetal just fine.

In terms of the cars I've owned, I am currently driving a 1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD that has taught me that I'm really not a truck kind of guy. Prior to that I have owned: 1991 Honda Accord EX, 1982 VW Scirocco, 1978 Honda Civic, 1972 Saab 99E, 1971 Fiat 124 Coupe and 1965 MG-B. The MG was my first car and I bought it in 1972 when I was 16 or 17. The Honda Civic was my first new car purchase. I tend to keep my cars if I like them and if they're worth keeping. I expect the new Bimmer will be a keeper.

I am a reformed smoker and I quit a 27 year cigarette habit nearly 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did for myself. I replaced smoking with bicycle riding and in the process of having a lot of fun I lost 40 pounds and got fairly fit. I have a bicycling page on my web site that has a lot about my riding experiences, my bikes, etc. Last summer I crashed hard while descending a mountain and shattered my wrist. It has healed about as much as it ever will, but my mind has a ways to go yet. Unfortunately, I still like riding up mountains very much. Coming down again remains problematic due to my nagging fears, so I am not riding as much this year and only have 800 miles in my log year to date compared to slightly over 2000 miles on this date last year.

Professionally, I am a software architect for an insurance company in San Francisco. I have been in this line of work for 15 years or so. I am a dog owner and have a sweet little English Cocker Spaniel named Melody (aka: Sweetie, Cutie, etc.) who just turned 9. Anything else you want to know, just visit my web site or ask me.
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2002, 09:41 AM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Hi Cliff,

Congrats on your BMW. Sounds like we have similar age and history, except I still haven't kicked my smoking habit (although I never smoke in my car nor house).

My first car was a 72 Datsun 240Z, but at the time I had it I drove a friend's 2002 and loved it. Wanted a BMW until I finally bought my 99 323i about 20 years later. Now I'm in the second week of owning my 2002 530iA. I also work in IT. I'm a Senior Software Engineer and do a lot of consulting and training (OOAD, Java, C++, XML) in St. Louis.

You won't regret getting the Bimmer. It's an awesome car.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Dinan 540iA
Hey Cliff,

Sorry to hear about your wrist, but its a long way from your heart! Get tough and fly down a hill just be safer!

I quit smoking to about 11 months ago. Heart attack helped me quit Thank God it was more of a warning and no surgery needed. They actually said surgery wouldn't help anyway. Small artery on the right side 90percent clogged and not doing a hell of a lot anyway they left it alone. Just put me on drugs that I hate.

Post some pics when you get your car!!!

Cya!

Old 05-18-2002, 10:45 AM
"FT"

Mein Auto: 645/987-120
Welcome Cliff

Great combination choices you made, and nice story. I hope you enjoy what I have been enjoying for the past 5 months.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:52 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Re: Welcome Cliff

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyingToaster
Great combination choices you made, and nice story. I hope you enjoy what I have been enjoying for the past 5 months.
I hope you don't mind if I have printed out the pictures of your car and tacked them to the corkboard over my desk? :thumb:
Old 05-18-2002, 06:52 PM
Paw Paw

Send a message via Yahoo to glaws
Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Coupe Topaz/Gray
Good choice of colors! I know that you will really enjoy the car and turn into a bimmerhead just like the rest of us. Strangely our car historys are similar. Had a Honda Accord, traded for a 328Ci and thought it was the greatest car I ever owned. Kept it for two years and then made a terrible tactical error. I test drove an M3. Please do not make the same mistake. I now own a Topaz/Gray M3 six speed and I KNOW THIS IS THE BEST CAR I EVER HAD. Only flaw: I am kinda poor these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	at home fr qtr.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1571  

A friend will allways try to help you up when you fall. If I can't get you up: Hell, I'll just lie down with you.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:18 AM
"FT"

Mein Auto: 645/987-120
Not at all Cliff, I have been at the place you are
Old 05-20-2002, 11:12 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Welcome the Board Cliff, I am confident you will love your car (and will be addicted for life).

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!