Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 05-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 02 M3 Convertible
2002 M3 Vert front end alignment by dealer?

Hey guys/gals, I'm about ready to buy new tires for the front. I'd like to purchase them through a local shop for price but am thinking maybe I should have the dealer do the alignment because maybe their equipment/techs will know more about BMW specifics.

Dealer quoted me around $1100 dollars for tires/alignment/balance, etc.. I know I can get the stock tires (Michellin Pilots) much cheaper but am reluctant for any shop to do the alignment/balance.

Any thoughts?

I don't even like the idea of having a tech jump in and use the SMG as it may launch itself into a wall with someone not knowing what they are doing.

Thanks,

John in SLO, CA.
Ads by Google
Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
I would think any credible tire shop or specialty alignment shop can do it, and probably at a muck lower cost than BMW. I would never buy tires from the dealership...

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 05-06-2013, 02:56 PM

Thanks Eric.

I guess I'm wondering if the alignment and balance (weight positioning, etc) are the same for a family sedan versus a piece of art capable of doing much higher speed.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i & 2004 M3
I purchased my PS2 from TireRack. I did the alignment at Santa BarbaraBMW. Last time I checked SLO had no equipment but that was a while ago.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM

Thanks bobby. I'll run the prices for TireRack before I deal with the local tire sales outfit. I try to keep business local, within reason... Am just a bit concerned that the typical alignment may not meet BMW new car standards. And... usually the tech takes it for a roadtrip to check the alignment afterward. With little/no experience with the SMG...