Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Oil temps going crazy after oil level sensor replacement

So i had a bad oil level sensor and i had a shop ive never used replace it (along with the oil) and ever since the service i have been having some weird oil temps. It spikes up and down quite a bit for the first 30-40 mins of the drive, it calms down a bit after that but the temps are higher than when i was doing top speed runs many years ago. Its hitting 250-255 on a sedate drive when normally it wouldnt go over 240 prior to the service.

I told the shop about it and they said what they did has no connection to oil temps, but i am beginning to think they didnt know where the oil level sensor was and may have messed with the oil temp sensor.

Does anyone know what might be going on here or if my line of thinking is plausable?


P.s. excuse the bad grammar, im on my phone.
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:32 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23 View Post
So i had a bad oil level sensor and i had a shop ive never used replace it (along with the oil) and ever since the service i have been having some weird oil temps. It spikes up and down quite a bit for the first 30-40 mins of the drive, it calms down a bit after that but the temps are higher than when i was doing top speed runs many years ago. Its hitting 250-255 on a sedate drive when normally it wouldnt go over 240 prior to the service.

I told the shop about it and they said what they did has no connection to oil temps, but i am beginning to think they didnt know where the oil level sensor was and may have messed with the oil temp sensor.

Does anyone know what might be going on here or if my line of thinking is plausable

The oil level sensor is part of of oil condition calculation on which the need for oil change is based. Did they replace the capacitive sensor or thermal?

Umm....BMW part? The correct part?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 AM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
The oil level sensor is part of of oil condition calculation on which the need for oil change is based. Did they replace the capacitive sensor or thermal?

Umm....BMW part? The correct part?
Unfortunately the second half of that paragraph is greek to me. I bought the level sensor online and had the shop install it and when i ced the order i didnt notice 2 different types. Are you referring to the pressure sensor vs level sensor? Or is there something they were supposed to replace with the level sensor? And yes it was a bmw part and the correct part. It did fix my problem of a low oil warning, but now i have the oil temp problem.
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23 View Post
Unfortunately the second half of that paragraph is greek to me. I bought the level sensor online and had the shop install it and when i ced the order i didnt notice 2 different types. Are you referring to the pressure sensor vs level sensor? Or is there something they were supposed to replace with the level sensor? And yes it was a bmw part and the correct part. It did fix my problem of a low oil warning, but now i have the oil temp problem.

What was the part number? Oil pan install? I thought the thermal and capacitance sensors were in diff locations - maybe wrong as the capacitive sensor has a temperature measuring device [RTD]. That's evidently to condition the capacitive signal but if I were BMW I'd capture temp separately as well.

Check THIS - discussion of various oil condition schemes, of which the BMW level sensor is a part.

Here's some info on the OZS Sensor.

More:
BMW Oil Condition Sensor - Capacitive .pdf
BMW Oil Level Sensor - Thermal .pdf

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 05-07-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
What was the part number? Oil pan install? I thought the thermal and capacitance sensors were in diff locations - maybe wrong as the capacitive sensor has a temperature measuring device [RTD]. That's evidently to condition the capacitive signal but if I were BMW I'd capture temp separately as well.

Check THIS - discussion of various oil condition schemes, of which the BMW level sensor is a part.

Here's some info on the OZS Sensor.

More:
Attachment 375201
Attachment 375202

I dont have access to the part number right now, but it looks exactly like the pictured sensor on the first link. Was i supposed to replace something with the sensor i replaced? If my part loks exactly like the sensor pictured in the first link does that mean i got a condition sensor?
I appreciate the help by the way, no one seems to reply to any of the known bmw forums for this.
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Salvator's Avatar
Salvator Salvator is offline
Livin' like Larry!
Location: NOVA
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 8,850
Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
I had sevice performed on my car and they replaced something related the hydraulic aspect of the Vanos... They had to change the oil as well... Since then, temperatures have been higher, similar to what you are saying... Of course, no one knows anything about it... I'm wondering if there is something up with the oil... Looking forward to my next oil change, to see if things are different...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvator View Post
I had sevice performed on my car and they replaced something related the hydraulic aspect of the Vanos... They had to change the oil as well... Since then, temperatures have been higher, similar to what you are saying... Of course, no one knows anything about it... I'm wondering if there is something up with the oil... Looking forward to my next oil change, to see if things are different...
I might think that for my case except the oil temp spikes up and down... How and why would it do that if that were the real temp? I think in my case it is reading it wrong.
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23 View Post
I dont have access to the part number right now, but it looks exactly like the pictured sensor on the first link. Was i supposed to replace something with the sensor i replaced? If my part loks exactly like the sensor pictured in the first link does that mean i got a condition sensor?
I appreciate the help by the way, no one seems to reply to any of the known bmw forums for this.

Yes - notice it has a temperature sensor, which text says is a plug-in.

Temp sensor would be to condition the capacitive signal, perhaps within the analog to digital converter in the head of the condition sensor. Serial out may be I2C bus - very common. Is there another temp sensor dedicated to oil temp gauge w/signal to ECU? Or does the condition probe temp sensor provide that oil temp info? Which uses a varying signal?

Big question: Did your new condition sensor come with the temp sensor, and if not, did you take the old one & plug into the new condition sensor????

Might be homing in here....


Click image for larger version

Name:	Honey I shrunk The Kids.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	375332

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 05-07-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Yes - notice it has a temperature sensor, which text says is a plug-in.

Temp sensor would be to condition the capacitive signal, perhaps within the analog to digital converter in the head of the condition sensor. Serial out may be I2C bus - very common. Is there another temp sensor dedicated to oil temp gauge w/signal to ECU? Or does the condition probe temp sensor provide that oil temp info? Which uses a varying signal?

Big question: Did your new condition sensor come with the temp sensor, and if not, did you take the old one & plug into the new condition sensor????

Might be homing in here....


Attachment 375332
Um yeah... I know some of these words...

If by temp sensor you mean the long cylinder attached to the lower half then yes it did. If you mean did it come with a seperate stand alone temp sensor, then no. What do you mean by plug it in to the old one? I thought it was just about removing the old one and plugging in the new one. I didnt personally install the piece but i can ask the shop what they did.
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23 View Post
If by temp sensor you mean the long cylinder attached to the lower half then yes it did. If you mean did it come with a seperate stand alone temp sensor, then no. What do you mean by plug it in to the old one? I thought it was just about removing the old one and plugging in the new one. I didnt personally install the piece but i can ask the shop what they did.

OK - click on the illustration below to enlarge - you'll see that the temperature sensor [3] is a plug-in to the oil condition sensor. You have a new oil condition sensor - question is: was there a new oil temperature sensor in it? Did the shop re-use the old temperature sensor? Or is there now no temperature sensor?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Oil Condition Sensor.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	375369

Also:

The oil condition sensor increases the function range of the thermal oil level sensor. The oil condition sensor
measures the following variables:
  • Engine oil temperature
  • Oil level
  • Engine oil quality


We might conclude that there is also a thermal oil level sensor, not with the oil condition sensor, which would be I don't know where.

.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 05-08-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-08-2013, 05:15 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Also click this illustration to enlarge:

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Oil Condition Sensor [a].jpg
Views:	112
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	375370

This shows the oil temperature sensor [7] in profile. It also shows that the oil condition sensor has two capacitors - [1] to measure oil level and [2] to measure oil condition.

Below in the plastic housing are electronics that do analog to digital conversion, format to bus protocol, and transmit to the ECU for processing.

But I don't see where oil temperature's being transmitted - may, or may not, in which case another temperature sensor's needed.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-08-2013, 05:18 AM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,806
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
The oil condition sensor increases the function range of the thermal oil level sensor. The oil condition sensor
measures the following variables:
  • Engine oil temperature
  • Oil level
  • Engine oil quality


We may conclude that there is also a thermal oil level sensor, which is I don't know where. And I have to wonder is there is also another oil temperature sensor dedicated to that.
At a guess from the wording, the thermal oil sensor is a make-or-break single point overtemperature limit sensor. If that is the case, adding the temperature sensor in the OCS would let you add engine oil temperature to the range of measured variables, which would seem to explain the language you quoted above.
__________________
2009 335i xDrive coupe, Jet Black, Black Leather, Grey Poplar, Steptronic, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, iPod/USB, HD radio, Parking Assist. Rear Fogs, Hardwire V1, ProFit G3.
ED May 12, 2009, Munich dropoff May 16, Redelivery June 22, 2009




Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-08-2013, 05:40 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
At a guess from the wording, the thermal oil sensor is a make-or-break single point overtemperature limit sensor. If that is the case, adding the temperature sensor in the OCS would let you add engine oil temperature to the range of measured variables, which would seem to explain the language you quoted above.
Platinum RTD
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,806
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Platinum RTD
D'oh! Re-reading, I somehow managed to miss the word "level" in your prior comment.
__________________
2009 335i xDrive coupe, Jet Black, Black Leather, Grey Poplar, Steptronic, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, iPod/USB, HD radio, Parking Assist. Rear Fogs, Hardwire V1, ProFit G3.
ED May 12, 2009, Munich dropoff May 16, Redelivery June 22, 2009




Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
OK - click on the illustration below to enlarge - you'll see that the temperature sensor [3] is a plug-in to the oil condition sensor. You have a new oil condition sensor - question is: was there a new oil temperature sensor in it? Did the shop re-use the old temperature sensor? Or is there now no temperature sensor?

Attachment 375369

Also:

The oil condition sensor increases the function range of the thermal oil level sensor. The coil condition sensor
measures the following variables:
  • Engine oil temperature
  • Oil level
  • Engine oil quality


We might conclude that there is also a thermal oil level sensor, not with the oil condition sensor, which would be I don't know where.

.
Yeah, my part loooked just that, including the temp sensor. Im wondering if there was something else i was supposed to replace or i have a defective part.
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms