Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 05-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: what ever starts
Valve Adjustment (Why can't you?)

I picked up a 2002 M3 last Monday and I was informed that the valves had never been done. I have shimmed the valves on the s54 I just dropped in to my e36 chassis. I am always looking for ways to make a DIY easier and get a quality job. Two questions:
Why can't you bump the engine with the starter. Guys do it with American cars all the time to turn the engine. This would work for everyone as I do not know the workings of the smg but it leads to my second question:
Rather than turn the engine with the starter why can't you put the car in reverse and push it backwards just a bit. It is the lowest gear and will turn the engine and you don't have to mess around with the fan and the shroud. If you pay attention you only turn the engine over once if you do an intake on one cylinder and and exhaust on another. To me this is no different than turning the engine by hand.
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Okay, the theory is correct but wrong application. You want the car in 6th gear. Gearing is backwards if you use the rear wheel which is what I am doing. I jacked up the rear using the carrier not the differential. I balanced the weight the best I could over two jack stands and my jack.

Just enough to get the rear tires off the ground.

I used the passenger wheel and rotated it as if the car was going forward. (Clockwise).
Works

Took me two minutes to set this up. It is a little work and it helps to have someone watch while you turn the wheel but no messing with the fan and shrouds.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 AM

Wanted to let everyone know. I got my shims last night. Some of them were used and not to spec. I have filed a dispute with my credit card company and reached out to the BMWPart store but have not heard back. Will keep you posted but until they resolve this I would not recommend them for shims. Will keep you posted.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 325i (currently)
used shims

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
Wanted to let everyone know. I got my shims last night. Some of them were used and not to spec. I have filed a dispute with my credit card company and reached out to the BMWPart store but have not heard back. Will keep you posted but until they resolve this I would not recommend them for shims. Will keep you posted.
It is standard practice at many shops to put the used shims back into the parts bins. They don't wear much, and the mechanics figure as long as they have one the right size they can proceed with the job and make the customer happy. A really nice shop would tell you they just "swapped" some of the shims and not charge you for new ones, though most customers have no idea what shims are...
Old 05-27-2013, 07:32 AM

Yes, that is what they said after I asked about it. They returned all of my money. I had no issue with "used" as they are perfectly fine for what you need. The issue was that the used shims did not match the few new ones I got and i did not feel like measuring all of them to determine the thickness. In the end i went local and bought a few extras and spent $95 on parts not counting the gaskets. BTW, turning the engine over with the rear wheel works great and you save yourself the pain of having to remove the fan. New wheels and rubber tuesday!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 325i (currently)
Cool.

Once you have selected one from the bin, even a new one, you should measure before you install. The markings just get you into the right ballpark.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:37 AM

Even after I am done. I hit the feelers at least twice to make sure I have it right. I was pleased to find this is a rather simple albeit very time consuming job. Toughest thing was converting thousandths of an inch to mm.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche 911, BMW 540
JayMac,
I'm in the market for E46 M3 but in research mode now. I do all my own wrenching having done everything from brakes, bearings, suspension, engine drops etc. I've adjusted valves many times on various 911s. I assume it can't be that much different on an M3, I like your tip for turning the engine over. On the 911, you go through the firing order, rotating engine to TDC and doing intake and exhaust at the same time. Are there any reference marks on the crank pulley to tell you when at TDC?

'07 550i Titan Gray/black Dakota leather/anthracite bamboo/6MT/Sport/CWP/Logic 7/Comfort Access/Active Steering/NAV
'00 540i 6MT/Sport 237k+
'74 911 Carrera
'95 911
'02 Yukon
Old 10-21-2013, 11:33 AM

There are but you do not need them. You are shimming the valves to a range using feeler gauges. Couple of good videos out there. All I did was turn the wheel until I had lobes pointing up and have at it with the feeler gauge. There is also a lock pin. The shims were easier than I thought. You just question yourself doing the conversions from mm to thousands of an inch. I hit the gap about three times with the feelers so i am turning the engine about three revs do do this. Two part video. Very good and easy to understand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...YVubj9y5U#t=50
Old 10-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: usual
let me verify this
1. put gear in 6
2. jack car up just enough tire float off the ground
3. turn the wheels counter clockwise, but front or rear?

easier than messing with fan and other screws.
whats the downside for using this method?

Last edited by e90sexion; 10-21-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM

You turn the wheels in the direction they would travel if the car was going forward. Since the engine is more accessible from the passenger side that would be clockwise on that side Make sure. I am such an idiot I used a piece of tape with an arrow. 6th gear gives you the most leverage when turning the wheel. Just the opposite when the engine is doing the work. If you were to turn the engine by hand there is no downside other than you have to jack up your car. Any questions let me know and I will call you. I will caution you that it is easy to overtrun the engine, going past the desired cylinder. Car on the right is easy as you have six spokes to use as indicators. I had my wife help me and she is real good at saying "oh" instead of easy or stop as the lobes go by. That was the downside. Each cam will give you a lobe @ every 60 degrees. Do you have control sheet? Bottom line this was much easier than messing with the fan.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: usual
awesome thanks
Old 10-21-2013, 08:26 PM

no worries!