Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 05-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 740
Check Engine Light/burns oil too

Code: <118101 Mixture Control 2: Mixture too Lean>
2010 750LXI
50,600mi.
When its cold and at low RPMS (about 25MPH) I can feel is hesitate like its got a misfire (but know misfire code). Took it to the dealer and after six weeks they told me to come pick it up. They said they did a smoke test and found a cracked vent crank case hose. $575 to replace it. I was OK with that. When I went to pick it up-the CEL was on. After yet another week, they said they found another broke hose. So for the second time I went to pick it up....Drove it about 1 mile and the CEL came back on. LOL. Do these guys know what there doing? They told me they would call me to bring it back in. That was a week ago.

Im wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this code? I know (from past maintenance records) that the turbo seals (assuming the shaft seals) were replace do to the car burning oil and smoking. I checked the turbos and did not see any oil in the intake.

Could there be another air leak somewhere else?

Could the catalytic converters be hosed cause of the previous bad turbo seals that could have caused oil to cake the inside of the converters?

Could it bad a bad O2 or MAF sensor that it throwing it into closed loop mode? But, no other codes.

Im afraid of the worst case scenario is that the valve seats are going bad, because it still does burn some oil and I thought I heard these engines do have a problem with the valve seats.

Anyone respond if you have heard anything like this. I have not seen anything in the forums.
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Absolute long shot, but have the dealer look into a system named "Secondary Air Injection" to make sure it was put back together correctly and there's no vacuum leak in same. Your problem is almost identical to one I had with my Range Rover, for which dealer had it for a cumulative total of 4 months (during which time I paid through the nose for needless repairs); I kid you not! Suffice to say, the final invoice was 'discounted'.

How terrible is that that work orders state dealers test drive cars after work is performed, only for the valet to pull it up or for you to drive it down the block and for the check engine light to either be on or come back. Ridiculous.

Last edited by dbs600; 05-07-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Wardaddy in retirement

Mein Auto: f01 750i
I've got a new engine with a lot less symptoms (well actually without any symptoms it ran fine) just because they found pieces of the timing chin guide in the oil pan..
If you're under warranty just have them report it to BMW NA (or Europe if need be) and the recommendation should be to get a new engine , just do it.

I don't believe these cars/engines are built to run for a lot more than 50k miles...

Old 05-07-2013, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
I don't believe these cars/engines are built to run for a lot more than 50k miles...
Old 05-07-2013, 04:45 PM

Will BMW North America cover repair cost if car has 50,400mi on it?

I bought the car with 50,400mi (2010 LXI) and had to take it right back to the dealer for the CEL. Nor the Dealer or BMW North America can tell me if it will be covered under warranty or not. So far paid $575 and CEL and its still on. The funny thing is is that the car has been in the shop previously (while under 50KMi) for the same problem. Will BMW North America cover it is only 400mi past the warranty or are they gonna tell me to go screw pay?

Has anyone ran into a similar situation?

Last edited by resistro; 05-07-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: F02
Didn't you get CPO on your car? I know that CPO is not as comprehensive as factory warranty, but I would imagine that it will cover a good part of the fix.

Personally, I wouldn't but an F01/F02 without warranty. If you don't have CPO, I would look into third party warranty.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:07 PM

Called BMW NA and had to threaten them with litigation to get my point across. The dealer finally took my issue seriously and took the time to troubleshoot the car the right way. They pulled the plugs (118101 Mixture Control 2: Mixture too Lean) and saw that cylinders 5 and 7 where very rich. They determined it was faulty injectors-they were spewing out gas. They replaced them.

So far so good, and they did not charge me! They called it 'Good Will', even though they had the car for a total of seven weeks with three trips and I thew down over $600 the first time when they told me they replaced a crank case vent hose (which I think was BS because I had the old service records and saw that same hose was replaced a year prior). So they basically just reset the CEL and sent me on my way, twice. But I got my baby back and no CEL or hesitation.

Now Im just trying to prepare myself for the next thing that will go bad.

THANK FOR THE REPLY'S GUYS

Last edited by resistro; 05-15-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:43 AM

Bad fuel injectors

Turned out my problem (Code: <118101 Mixture Control 2: Mixture too Lean>) was two bad fuel injectors. Direct Injection system is hard on these injectors.

The dealer said the checked the plugs and saw two fowled so the checked the injectors and said they were just spuing out too much fuel (ironic cause the code led my to believe not enough fuel).

I took them weeks and three seperate trips on my part for them to figure this out!! Pulling plugs is engine diagnostic 101. Anyways, they covered it for free. But i still get hesitation when cold. im sure the rest are just little ticking time bombs!

Last edited by resistro; 11-27-2013 at 10:46 AM.