Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 05-08-2013, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW M3
Going to the experts for help! Please!

Hello all, I'm new to this site but have been reading your news and advice since last summer. I have a 2003 M3 BMW convertible I bought in 2005. I absolutely love the vehicle but having some serious issues since the dealership performed the recall on the relay many of you have discussed.

I brought the vehicle in for an Inspection 2 last summer 2012, at which time was told they would also perform the recall service. We were missing the vehicle as it was there for a week only to be told we couldn't pick it up because they couldn't get the vehicle out of first gear. Long story short the dealer received approval from BMW N. America to replace the entire transmission. They recommended I also replace the clutch at that time since they were tearing apart the car anyway, which I did.

Another week later I picked up the car and didn't drive it for a couple of days until we were leaving for an event. Got in the car and it wouldn't start, stuck in first gear. Towed the vehicle back to the dealer, they experienced the problem too. Once again ran every diagnostic test in the world and the problem was no longer there. In total, one month later, they finally admitted they didn't know what the problem was and couldn't get it to replicate.

I drove the car minimally over the next two months with no problem. Put it in storage for the winter and when I went to get the vehicle earlier this month it was once again stuck in first gear and wouldn't start. Towed it back to the dealer where it is now. It started for them with no problems, they've had it for over a week and ran all diagnostics which come back in their words "perfect".

My dilemma is that I do NOT trust this vehicle anymore. It ran fine until they performed the recall work. Since then this "random" problem has happened twice. They want me to pick up the vehicle but I'm leary to do so without any written notice that they'll continue to cover the service for this issue. I cannot rely on my wonderful car anymore and would not feel right selling it someone without full disclosure. To which end, makes my car worth far less than it was before I brought it in for routine maintenance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you for reading this message through if you've gotten this far! Summer is here which in MN is extremely limited, and I'm bummed beyond belief!
Advertisement