Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E60 525i
OK, in last 6 months I have replaced: engine and transmission mounts, exhaust mounts, rear ball joints with integral links(PITA) with big screw, intake boot hose, I have 3 ICV every one work same(try them all three), throttle gasket, NGK spark plugs( judging by the old spark plugs it had good combustion) , Injector gaskets(2 per injector) , 4 times Valve Cover Gasket, Oil Separator with corresponding hoses,new water pump and thermostat with new pulley's, belts and belt tension-er x2, dealer did serviced my Automatic box (new pan, and some other parts with oil) warranty payed more than CHF 1000, rear left wishbone and next week I will change one rear spring because she cracked. I don't know if I have forgot anything. i drive this car on relatively slow relations so I can explain some times there is this condensations in engine oil but once per week i drive her more than 100 km so this goes away. Also I change her oil and filter every 12000 km. i start to think that there is a small gasket on the top of intake manifold that have little vacuum leak: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...79&hg=11&fg=40 number 3 or 4, and the oil filler cap. how ever soon I will go to my friend that has a DIS and I want to do some live checks before I start with replacement of intake and exhaust cam position sensors. Car is E60, M54, 525i 164000 km automatic box. If anyone have any idea please give it.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 AM

also several air filters and cleaned MAF. As for replacement the engine mounts I lifted my car. I had professional lift in company where I work, and we have this hydraulic cylinder that we use for supporting stuff like gearbox, suspension, engine, anything, it is like some kind of jack for gearboxes. So we jacked this with some 2x4 inches wooden pieces.

Procedure:

Disconnect battery negative wire,
remove intake hose which go to ICV and throttle along with MAF and Air filter housing,
take away engine mount upper screws( one per mount)
lift the car,
take away lower engine mounts screws,
if it is car with auto-box, take away little hatch that holds auto-box cooling hoses, it is near right side engine mount ( when standing in front of the car)
support engine with this gearbox jack and piece of wood on the oil pan,( be very careful)
when you lift engine check and double check if it is free , make sure he is not twisting anything.
You need to lift one or two inch.
than you take away your mount and you put a new one. do this one by one.
put screws and torque them to spec, upper 56 N-m and lower i forgot.

put all back and you have new engine mounts.

I am sorry if I forgot anything, i hold no responsibility if you damage your car by doing this procedure above.

Last edited by grimma; 05-30-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: adding text
Old 05-31-2013, 07:35 AM
From DownUnder

Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesuslopez530i View Post
I had the same problem with my car. I took it to the dealership and they did a diagnostic on it and found nothing wrong with the engine. The mechanic just bumped up the idle 150 rpm above what it was. My car was idling low, sometimes it would even go down to 500 rpm.
Thanks Jesuslopez530i for confirmation and joining the Vibration Club , Did the RPM increase fixed your vibration problem?

What is your idle RPM now? Mine is about 650-700 rpm I think, can't remember.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:43 AM
From DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimma View Post
OK, in last 6 months I have replaced: engine and transmission mounts, exhaust mounts, rear ball joints with integral links(PITA) with big screw, intake boot hose, I have 3 ICV every one work same(try them all three), throttle gasket, NGK spark plugs( judging by the old spark plugs it had good combustion) , Injector gaskets(2 per injector) , 4 times Valve Cover Gasket, Oil Separator with corresponding hoses,new water pump and thermostat with new pulley's, belts and belt tension-er x2, dealer did serviced my Automatic box (new pan, and some other parts with oil) warranty payed more than CHF 1000, rear left wishbone and next week I will change one rear spring because she cracked. I don't know if I have forgot anything. i drive this car on relatively slow relations so I can explain some times there is this condensations in engine oil but once per week i drive her more than 100 km so this goes away. Also I change her oil and filter every 12000 km. i start to think that there is a small gasket on the top of intake manifold that have little vacuum leak: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...79&hg=11&fg=40 number 3 or 4, and the oil filler cap. how ever soon I will go to my friend that has a DIS and I want to do some live checks before I start with replacement of intake and exhaust cam position sensors. Car is E60, M54, 525i 164000 km automatic box. If anyone have any idea please give it.
Holy cow dude, you seem to practically have new car with all the work you have done. Pity the Vibration still exist. I am still confused on that intake stuff. Did you happen to change what was recommended by dolfan13 on the intake i.e. seal for throttle body to intake? You mentioned throttle gasket, is that the same thing?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:55 AM

I think it is the same thing.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskane View Post
Thanks Jesuslopez530i for confirmation and joining the Vibration Club , Did the RPM increase fixed your vibration problem?

What is your idle RPM now? Mine is about 650-700 rpm I think, can't remember.
Yes the rpm increase did stop the vibration and my car now idles at 650-700 rpm
Old 06-01-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesuslopez530i View Post
Yes the rpm increase did stop the vibration and my car now idles at 650-700 rpm
Can you please confirm you have M54 engine?
Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 AM
From DownUnder

Hey guys, can I request all the people having this problem to post what engine oil you are using in your car, specific brand and type e.g Castrol Edge Titanium 0W40 etc. I am not sure if this problem is related to engine oil or not?

I am currently using Mobil1 0W40.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Mobil 1 5W40 BMW LL01
Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Not another blue puddle!

Mein Auto: 550i
I have the same exact problem with my 550i. The steering wheel vibrates at idle when my foot is on the brake. As soon as I start moving or put it in park the vibration stops.
I started noticing the vibration just prior to an oil change. I was about a half quart low when I took it in, so I hoped that was the cause. After changing the oil the vibration still exists. They put in 10w30 Castrol synthetic, not sure about the exact type.

I've read posts that suggest low AC refrigerant levels may contribute to the problem. However, I notice the vibration with AC on or off. I don't buy the engine mount theory either - maybe in extreme cases.

I do notice that my car idles at exactly 500, which seems a little low. I never knew the dealer could raise the idle RPM, but that might be a good place to start start. A few folks indicated that helped.

Even though the vibration is barely noticeable, it drives me crazy, so I'm looking forward to someone posting a definitive solution.

Mike

2008 550i Sport
Space Gray Metallic

2001 540i6 - Deceased
Topaz Metallic Blue
Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Castrol GC 0w30
Old 06-04-2013, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
I'm couldn't get an appointment with dealership last week. I'm hoping to go in this week and get my idle raised. I will report after...
Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM
From DownUnder

Okay guys, its getting a bit hard to track of who has done what to find a solution to this problem, but surely we are seeing more E60 owners with same problem. Although no one wants to believe it is engine oil, but for some reason I want to track it in case at the end it is the reason. So here is a list of all people who have reported the same problem with some details.
  1. Me - Mobil 1 0W40
  2. Margal - ??
  3. grimma - Mobil 1 5W40 - changed engine mounts as well, no joy.
  4. Cali Buk - Pending update on idle increase
  5. Nath0 - Castrol Magnatec 5W30 - Oil change helped the vibration a little (not much).
  6. dolfan13 - Castrol GC 0w30
  7. Jesuslopez 530i - idle increase helped, now sits on 650-700 (very strange because mine sits at similar idle but no joy for me)
  8. mkarner79 - Castol Synthetic 10W30 - Suggested AC compression air

Now, does anyone knows how to check AC compression air? The fact that AC on/off increases the vibration, I am very tempted to have this verified. So please help or join the Vibration Club, so together we can finally put an end to this problem as clearly it drives me nutts
Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Not another blue puddle!

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskane View Post
Okay guys, its getting a bit hard to track of who has done what to find a solution to this problem, but surely we are seeing more E60 owners with same problem. Although no one wants to believe it is engine oil, but for some reason I want to track it in case at the end it is the reason. So here is a list of all people who have reported the same problem with some details.
  1. Me - Mobil 1 0W40
  2. Margal - ??
  5. Nath0 - Castrol Magnatec 5W30 - Oil change helped the vibration a little (not much).
  7. Jesuslopez 530i - idle increase helped, now sits on 650-700 (very strange because mine sits at similar idle but no joy for me)
  8. mkarner79 - Castol Synthetic 10W30 - Suggested AC compression air

Now, does anyone knows how to check AC compression air? The fact that AC on/off increases the vibration, I am very tempted to have this verified. So please help or join the Vibration Club, so together we can finally put an end to this problem as clearly it drives me nutts
I meant to say 5w30.

So far the only thing I've found is that the more I read this article the more I notice the vibration.

2008 550i Sport
Space Gray Metallic

2001 540i6 - Deceased
Topaz Metallic Blue
Old 06-05-2013, 03:14 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarner79 View Post
I meant to say 5w30.

So far the only thing I've found is that the more I read this article the more I notice the vibration.
Sorry but that's too funny .
Old 06-05-2013, 04:03 AM

Mein Auto: 07' 530i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarner79 View Post
I meant to say 5w30.

That's got to suck... lmao.

I've figured it out (and accepted) that the more stop and go I do the more it is prevalent.

My indy "it likes to drive this car, it doesn't like city driving - stop and go traffic". It is so true...
I did the Great Ocean Road here in VIC(Australian State) recently and WOW it was a fun drive (plus awesome views - perfect combo). I would stop and let family take photos etc and the vibration was not prevalent. As if it had been driven and enjoyed it... and when just stopped on the side of the road - no different to at a stop light - except not so frequent and not for long durations... it was fine.

Come back to reality... it doesn't seem to like it so much. I've also noticed the more I try to beat traffic lights (floored it) and have to stop quicker than it would like, the more it intensifies (although not so much anymore.. my phone used to vibrate in the holder just behind the power windows control panel is on the door... but no longer since oil change). That vibrating o the phone drove me NUTS!!!

Wish you all luck and will continue to follow this post...
Old 06-05-2013, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i
Count me in for the same problem. I just got the car too. 38k miles now, 2010 528.

I was advised by my independent BMW mechanic during pre-purchase inspection to mention this to the dealer. It almost feels like the car is running on low RPM and it sounds like woooowwww woooooowww wwwwwwooooowww inside the cabin when it idles. It's hard to explain until you actually get inside the car and notice it. During the pre-purchase inspection (which was done AFTER the purchase) tech noticed it and asked me about it. Also, steering wheel vibrates.

I am having it checked out as I type this. I will let you guys know what they find.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 07' 530i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxym View Post
Count me in for the same problem. I just got the car too. 38k miles now, 2010 528.

I was advised by my independent BMW mechanic during pre-purchase inspection to mention this to the dealer. It almost feels like the car is running on low RPM and it sounds like woooowwww woooooowww wwwwwwooooowww inside the cabin when it idles. It's hard to explain until you actually get inside the car and notice it. During the pre-purchase inspection (which was done AFTER the purchase) tech noticed it and asked me about it. Also, steering wheel vibrates.

I am having it checked out as I type this. I will let you guys know what they find.
Cool - keep us posted.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM
From DownUnder

Quote:

Thanks maxxym for joining in, please keep us posted on any diagnose made by your dealer, which I personally doubt.

Updated list is below so far;
  1. Me - Mobil 1 0W40
  2. Margal - ???
  8. mkarner79 - Castol Synthetic 5W30 - Suggested AC compression air
  9. maxxym - ???

By the way, I changed my engine belt tensioner pulley that was gone, and I can feel the vibration is present but is slightly smoother. My deflection pulley and AC tensioner are next to be changed as I am waiting on part and a tool.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 AM

I will post as soon as I find out. I told them that I read about this problem and it could be anything from engine mounts to software update, but I don't think SA was listening to me. lol I mean, engine mounts at 38k miles? Sounds ridiculous to me. I really hope they will find out what's up with that. The sound that the car makes inside the cabin actually drives me crazy.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:29 AM

Ok, I have an update for you guys. I don't know yet if it will be ok, but dealer just called and said they ran diagnostics and increased RPM by 150.

Again, I will let you guys know if the vibration is gone once I drive it. Should be after 5pm EST, but I am thinking they noticed it.

They checked engine mounts and they were ok.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:36 PM

Got my car back. Like I said, they raised RPM by 150, so now I am at about 750 at idle. It eliminated the weird sound inside the cabin. No more wooooowooowowoowowowoowoowooww.....lol I know it's hard to describe.

As for the steering wheel vibration, it's still there, but not as bad. At this point I think I am being too paranoid, but my e39 did not do that. You almost couldn't tell that the engine was running when holding the steering wheel.

At any rate, I am going to try to use different gas. I been using 93 BP....with my other car, I always used Sunoco. Not sure if that matters but I remember my Taurus back in the day, ran like **** on BP gas.

Dealer could not find anything wrong with my car.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:44 PM
From DownUnder

Quote:
Got my car back. Like I said, they raised RPM by 150, so now I am at about 750 at idle. It eliminated the weird sound inside the cabin. No more wooooowooowowoowowowoowoowooww.....lol I know it's hard to describe.

As for the steering wheel vibration, it's still there, but not as bad. At this point I think I am being too paranoid, but my e39 did not do that. You almost couldn't tell that the engine was running when holding the steering wheel.

At any rate, I am going to try to use different gas. I been using 93 BP....with my other car, I always used Sunoco. Not sure if that matters but I remember my Taurus back in the day, ran like **** on BP gas.

Dealer could not find anything wrong with my car.
Thanks maxxym, for the update, much appreciated. If the wooooowooowowoowowowoowoowooww..... (sorry buddy, but prefer the word vibration) returns, please let us know, otherwise, idle at 750 rpm has helped two owners.

By the way, you know what oil you got in your car maxxym?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:47 PM

lol I know it's hard to describe the sound. lol

I have no idea what oil I have.. whatever they use at the dealerships. I would assume it's Castrol.

I will let you guys know if anything changes with different fuel.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:07 AM
From DownUnder

Quote:
lol I know it's hard to describe the sound. lol

I have no idea what oil I have.. whatever they use at the dealerships. I would assume it's Castrol.

I will let you guys know if anything changes with different fuel.
Guys, after the post from maxxym, I monitored my rpm via the hidden menu today on a long 1.5hour drive. Everytime I stopped, the engine would vibrate and the rpm would fluctuate between 648-663. I was stopped at couple of red lights and I put the car in Parking, the engine vibration calms down, but the rpm is still fluctuating between 648-665. So is the idle rpm really the cause?

Maxxym, did the paper work from the dealership mentions any other work?