Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Just another Gear Head!

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi coupe
Loaner experience

So who here has driven enough F30 loaner cars to realize that you DON'T want one and our E9X's are so much better. The F30 loaners I've driven including the M Sport package one I have today just lack soul. They don't necessarily do anything wrong they just don't have anything that stands out and screams "What a great car!" And the interior is just wrong. Way to disjointed and busy. Opinions?
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2013, 08:49 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillia View Post
So who here has driven enough F30 loaner cars to realize that you DON'T want one and our E9X's are so much better. The F30 loaners I've driven including the M Sport package one I have today just lack soul. They don't necessarily do anything wrong they just don't have anything that stands out and screams "What a great car!" And the interior is just wrong. Way to disjointed and busy. Opinions?
Several of us have posted loaner or test drive "reviews" in here with varying opinions. Few seem to like the auto start-stop feature. My drive was with a BMW CCA driving instructor...and we scuffed the tires a bit. I liked the engine and was pleased with the car overall.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Currently have one now, to be returned this evening. So, have to say I'm not a fan, maybe if I had never driven my e92 it would be a different story but all in all the car feels and looks sterile. Plasticky and cheap, sad to say.

It had the 'iS performance exhaust which is weird as it was not an 335is, that I found to be little to no louder than my coupe OEM, so that was quite disappointing.

The on/off thing is just plain weird, luckily you could disable the thing.

It had an AT, turbo lag was very obvious even in sport mode.

What I did like is the pop up windshield display and the power/torque display.

Outfitted with 19" Pzero rfts, a major upgrade over the Bridgestone 19's

My loaner was a 4 dr saloon. Oh yeah, the leather interior blows! They should be ashamed of themselves. My guess is the upgraded higher cost leather option is what they want folks to buy, otherwise stick with the free vinyl.

My hope is the new M4 will not suffer the same fate!

Last edited by daytrader; 05-08-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Several of us have posted loaner or test drive "reviews" in here with varying opinions. Few seem to like the auto start-stop feature. My drive was with a BMW CCA driving instructor...and we scuffed the tires a bit. I liked the engine and was pleased with the car overall.
Yeah, I enjoyed mine as well.

I do think BMW needs to improve the EPS, but the turbo 4 is such a nice engine that it makes me optimistic about the future of BMW engines.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Having driven both but not owned either, I think I can offer an unbiased opinion.
-The 4 cylinder engine in the F30 has great power density and good mileage but offers nothing for a visceral experience. The straight six just sounds so much better and responds so much more quickly.
- I think the F30 suspension is light years ahead of the E9X with respect to ride quality but doesn't sacrifice much in handling.
-The fit/finish and build quality seem equivalent.
-The F30 seems to offer more technological gadgets that are either completely pointless (efficient dynamics monitor in the CIC) or downright annoying (auto stop/start).

All in all, they're both good cars that reflect the sign of the times in which they were built. At the end of the day, I'll stick with my 1er.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: f30 335i
Loaner experience

I prefer the f30....the interior actually seems like a step up from the e9x and lots more tech. I must be in the minority because I don't mind the steering.

Aesthetically....that's where I think the f30 wins hands down....much better looking car IMO.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
I love my F30.

And most of the current E90 owners criticizing the F30 will be in F30s when the time comes.

It's really that simple.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Unfortunately I got an X3 loaner
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 05-08-2013, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
I love my F30.

And most of the current E90 owners criticizing the F30 will be in F30s when the time comes.

It's really that simple.

Wrong fella..I will never purchase an F30 besides being a bore to drive it has to be hands down the ugliest Bimmer ever built not to mention that hood!! Driving the damn thing resembled the handling of my darn boat!! The thing feels huge.Hoping upon your purchase you opted for the hood delete...See ya Admiral!!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Loaner experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Wrong fella..I will never purchase an F30 besides being a bore to drive it has to be hands down the ugliest Bimmer ever built not to mention that hood!! Driving the damn thing resembled the handling of my darn boat!! The thing feels huge.Hoping upon your purchase you opted for the hood delete...See ya Admiral!!
I can't express how much I agree with you on all counts and especially about the atrocious hood design. It seems like more of an afterthought than an attempt at a catchy design. I understand that some of the primary purposes of the hood is to provide efficient water management and safety but why should that come at the expense of style? Do we even go into the elongated headlights design that has them stretch all the way to the kidney grill? On the bright side, it helps me skip the F30 generation altogether!

Last edited by Bemo; 05-08-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
I can't express how much I agree with you on all counts and especially about the atrocious hood design. It seems like more of an afterthought than an attempt at a catchy design. I understand that some of the primary purposes of the hood is to provide efficient water management and safety but why should that come at the expense of style? Do we even go into the elongated headlights design that has them stretch all the way to the kidney grill? On the bright side, it helps me skip the F30 generation altogether!

Thanks Bemo glad we agree!! I truly want to like the car but just can't climb the hurdles and yeah I will totally skip this generation F30 and this comes from a guy who is loyal to the brand having owned 5 BMW's total...P.S. I will never ever drive a turbo assisted 4 and to think just recently a poster was boasting about his 50k 328!! Could you imagine spending that amount for a 328???Take-Care
Old 05-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Chop!

I think I'm going to report you to our new moderator. You need a much better pic of your new ride!

Get with the program, dude!!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Chop!

I think I'm going to report you to our new moderator. You need a much better pic of your new ride!

Get with the program, dude!!
Oh no it's the Sheriff!! Hey Kat need to do a photo shoot asap.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, that too!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
So who here has driven enough F30 loaner cars to realize that you DON'T want one and our E9X's are so much better. The F30 loaners I've driven including the M Sport package one I have today just lack soul....... And the interior is just wrong...... Opinions?
This could have been lifted straight from the E46 forum after the E90 came out. In fact, it could still be lifted straight from the E46 forum today.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
This could have been lifted straight from the E46 forum after the E90 came out. In fact, it could still be lifted straight from the E46 forum today.
Only after the E46 I ran out and purchased an E90...I really want to like the thing and don't enjoy trashing it just I can't for the life of me see past that hood and yeah I tried but maybe if i perch a Bald Eagle on the tip...
Old 05-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
A more fundamental question: what advantages does the new F30 BMW have over it's competition now? Is the margin smaller than in the E9X era? Wider?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Just another Gear Head!

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi coupe
So after driving the loaner all day I have the following observations:

The M sport steering wheel is nice

For a four cylinder this thing has very good power and torque but the sound just isn't as sweet as the six but all in all nice job for a four cylinder

As one poster mentioned if you are in the market for a sophisticated sedan this car does have a nice ride and if you want to toss it then it does a reasonable but not stellar job.

The seats are comfortable but I can't quite find a position I like. I always seem a little "perched"

The controls work well and are well positioned.

As far as style goes the spy shots of the new 4 coupe look beautiful. This loaner just looks like a big sedan and if I wanted a big sedan I would buy a 5er in a heartbeat.

I am actually looking forward to driving a new 4. I want it to be a lot more sporty than the sedan though. And mine will have to be a 335 for sure. I need that six cylinder that BMW does so well.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:19 AM
E60 to E90 to E92

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT
Took home a Modern Line N20 8AT for two days last week. N20 did 29 mpg over 120 miles; impressive. Sounds like a diesel at idle; not so impressive. Interior just a slight step up from the E9x chassis, nothing huge or eye-popping. Suspension a bit soft for my taste; reminded me of a previous drive in a Lexus IS250. Hated the jerkiness of AutoStop; hearing the starter crank dozens of times over the course of a single drive makes me wonder about the starter's longevity. AutoStop in a hybrid is much more seamless since it doesn't require the use of the starter to fire the engine back up. Not a fan of the flat-nosed front end and how the inner headlight housing "bleeds" into the kidney grilles. Verdict: decent successor to the previous gen, but I'm keeping my E92.

2006 BMW E90 330i 6MT (Sparkling Graphite/Terra): retired
2008 BMW E60 Dinan M5 SMG (Indianapolis Red/Black): retired
2006 BMW E60 Dinan 550i 6MT (Titanium Grey/Auburn): retired
Old 05-09-2013, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
The driving dynamics of the F30 left me cold when I had one as a loaner for a day. The steering and soft brakes were a letdown. I like the controlled ride in the base model I had. The interior IMO is far nicer and more functional than that of the E90. The std iDrive and mor derived oriented placement of the controls is an improvement. The quality of materials in the E90 may be a bit better but the interior of our cars is dull and boring. No issues with the powerful and torquey engine. It's a gem.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
I had one as a loaner,kept waiting to feel good about what I was driving but it never happened,engine sounds like a worn out Jetter and did not like the look of the hood or the interior,did like the transmission,real smooth,but I will never own one.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
I can't rate "soul", so can you provide your pluses and minuses?

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
I love my F30.

It's really that simple.

Kind of like the e3x/e4x users who said the e9x sucked donkey nuds.
There will be things removed, that people will miss, and things added that people will love. Overall most people are resistant to change - especially when change costs $$$$.

I've only test driven the f30 a couple times, so my opinion is limited, but I enjoyed the "test drive". However, I'll let you guys know on Sat/Sun how driving through Germany in an 335 msport feels like. I still remember how driving my e90 felt liked (i was driving it for 3 years).

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 08 E90
I've talked about this in the past in the F30 board. It turned out to be quite comical IMO:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...391&highlight=

I will take all the progressive changes that goes along with new standards...smaller eco engines, electric steering, low resist tires, etc..

I actually like how the exterior looks...but there NO WAY I can take that interior dash seriously. It's too "utilitarian" to be in a car this level. That's what I dreamed of future Corolla's and Civics will have back in the day...
Old 05-09-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
I've talked about this in the past in the F30 board. It turned out to be quite comical IMO:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...391&highlight=

I will take all the progressive changes that goes along with new standards...smaller eco engines, electric steering, low resist tires, etc..

I actually like how the exterior looks...but there NO WAY I can take that interior dash seriously. It's too "utilitarian" to be in a car this level. That's what I dreamed of future Corolla's and Civics will have back in the day...
My wife passed a comment it looked a lot like my mother's dashboard found in her 1988 240DL. ...which is still running btw!