Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Next Generation 1 Series: Future in the US in doubt

next gen 1 series future in doubt

For those looking forward to a smaller sedan from BMW the 1 Series is your car. Expected to be E46 sized with plenty of power many felt this would be the second coming of the sporty BMW. Unfortunately BMW executives have put the brakes on this, for US customers at least.

Quote:
BMW executives have told us that there's no guarantee the company will bring the next-generation 1-series to the U.S., and that the decision will hinge largely on how the new CLA and A3 perform in the market. A front-wheel-drive 1-series already is in advanced stages of engineering and was previewed as a concept car last fall.
Read the full article at Car and Driver

What do you think of an E46 sized 1 series sedan? Would you give it a test drive?
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
The 1 series will be front drive, so it's not going to be E46-like.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
That's news to me. I saw recently that MotorTrend and topspeed had reported that the 1 Series sedan will not be built on the Concept Active Tourer platform, which will be FWD, and MotorTrend went a step further to say specifically that it would be an RWD sedan.

Pity they wouldn't bring it to the U.S., because the E46's dimensions were perfect for a small sedan. Everything fun to drive keeps creeping bigger: the E46 3 Series, the B5 Passat, even the old Mazda Protege. Think of how much bigger and heavier the E8X coupes, the smallest BMWs, are than the 2002 was!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlenparcel View Post
That's news to me. I saw recently that MotorTrend and topspeed had reported that the 1 Series sedan will not be built on the Concept Active Tourer platform, which will be FWD, and MotorTrend went a step further to say specifically that it would be an RWD sedan.

Pity they wouldn't bring it to the U.S., because the E46's dimensions were perfect for a small sedan. Everything fun to drive keeps creeping bigger: the E46 3 Series, the B5 Passat, even the old Mazda Protege. Think of how much bigger and heavier the E8X coupes, the smallest BMWs, are than the 2002 was!
I've never heard of a rear drive 1 series sedan. Only sedan I've heard is coming is a 2 series Gran Coupe.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 128i
I get the distinct impression that BMW has already planned a 1 Series sedan for sale in Europe and China, but that they don't know if they would bring it to the U.S. (depending on the success of the MB CLA and Audi A3). Here's the most recent article on the subject I can find, from Automotive.com on April 22:

Quote:
BMW, which has made common practice of creating new segments and niches to grow its sales numbers, is considering yet another one: a 1 Series sedan. ...

BMW is expected to bring a new compact coupe to the U.S. in 2015 when the current 1 Series coupe leaves our market. The new car will be called the BMW 2 Series, and it will spawn a coupe and a convertible. It is also likely that a sedan will come from it, as there is a 1 Series hatchback that comes in a five-door model outside of the U.S. In BMWs new naming structure, sedans and five-doors are odd numbers, and two-doors and four-door coupes are even numbers.

BMW also has its Concept Active Tourer, its front-wheel-drive car thats based on the next Mini Cooper, slated to join BMWs lineup in the next few years. We were told in a brief chat with a North American BMW executive that the front-wheel-drive BMW may never come to the U.S. If it did, the exec said, it would be years off.
FWIW my reading of this is that the Concept Active Tourer platform is NOT the same thing as the 1 Series sedan.

I find it hard to believe they would ever sell a BMW-badged car that was FWD. Not quite a "hell freezes over" moment (that was GM bringing back the Impala) but after reading these articles I began to wonder if it would be badged differently or would only be reserved for hybrid vehicles.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
new 1 series will be GTI-like

But you have to wait till 2016 for FWD 1 series

as the current F20 is RWD
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING

Last edited by SilverX3; 05-08-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 & 2014 F30
For US market we will end up with 2 series instead.
2009 E82 ( Sold )
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
new 1 series will be GTI-like.
But you have to wait till 2016 for FWD 1 series
And that's not a bad thing! BMW folks love to praise rear-wheel drive, and they're right to a point. That said, I've driven a 2010 GTI manual and it was *fun*. Fully loaded it was $30K, which is compelling compared to a comparably optioned 128. With the inline six and rear-wheel drive, the 1-series is long when parking in tight, urban parking spaces. And the back seat is useless for someone like me who's 6'2". While you may disparage front-wheel drive, the GTI is an affordable, comfortable, four-seater, fun-to-drive, easy-to-park vehicle. BMW can't fail to notice the GTI's popularity (at least among urban yuppies) and adapt the next-gen 1 series to compete more effectively.

-James
Seattle, WA
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, m-sport, premium, xenons, pdc)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 AM

Not to mention the Mini has been very successful, but maybe not so profitable for BMW.

I'd like to see a Mini sized BMW without the Mini styling.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Re: Next Generation 1 Series: Future in the US in doubt

yea i heard of the old gti's being great.at this point still not liking the 2 series just doesnt seem purebmw

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-10-2013, 03:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 135i convertible
I own a 2013 135i and a 2010 GTI...both auto trannys (have a bad knee). Love both cars but the turbo lag on the GTI can be pretty bad but I've learned how to deal with it. Comparing the cars, we are talking apples and oranges.

2 bits 'o stupidity for the GTI...the hub caps

http://www.leforse.com/wp-content/up...gti-wheels.jpg

nasty design for New England. Snow gets compacted in the hub cap and you have horrible balance problems.
Also, you cannot lift the windshield wipers off of the window...they freeze to the window in the winter...horrible, stupid design. We need to buy new wipers EVERY year. Otherwise, nice car..

Geekapoo

Last edited by Geekapoo; 05-10-2013 at 03:50 AM. Reason: link did not work