Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
BMW Mechanics

How much training does a certified BMW mechanic get,how do I know who is really working on my car,had a bad experience and looking for the answer,thanks.

Last edited by 3two8iguy; 05-08-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Each dealership is privately owned so experience will vary. Unless you are in the bay, which you most likely will never be, then you have no idea if it's being worked on by the manager, 'super' tech, the new guy, or the day laborer they picked up sitting outside Home Depot.
If you have had a bad experience, at that dealership, then kindly ask to speak with one of the service managers and explain your concern. He might be willing to give oversight.

BMW mechanics do go through training, but like many forms of training, a lot of it is on the job.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3two8iguy View Post
How much training does a certified BMW mechanic get,how do I know who is really working on my car,had a bad experience and looking for the answer,thanks.

How much? What's the measure?

There's this, and more....

Like most education, students acqire intellectual tools. Real learning happens applying those skills.

Is there a substitute for experience + intelligence? Nope....!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumbs Up 07.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	375451
Old 05-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Like most education, students acqire intellectual tools. Real learning happens applying those skills.

Attachment 375451
....Students "acquire" intellectual tools,Mmmmmm,like spelling?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Attachment 375451
I love your pictures with your descriptions.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
....Students "acquire" intellectual tools,Mmmmmm,like spelling?

Ha! I am not a BMW mechanic.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
A good argument for learn to "DIY" or a find a good local indy shop after the warranty expires.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:21 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
you can request that the same mechanic work on your vehicle. Not sure how you would ever know even if the same name is on the receipt. Once you find a name of a tech, you can look them up on Linked In and see how much experience they have.
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 AM

I am very capable of doing oil changes on my ultimate driving machine,will it affect the warranty?My car went in for scheduled service,oil change,wiper blades & the battery cable recall service,when I was driving home the hazard light came on indicating a low oil condition,"Houston,we've got a problem",I was 2 quarts low.I went back to the service center and popped the hood and found oil all over my beautiful engine & engine bay,the oil fillcap opened and cocked sideways,the service rep said he would get it wiped down and thats when I blew my oil cap,AS*****,How dare you say that you will wipe it down!!!!JERKOFF!!!!,anyway,I spoke with the service manager on Monday and he made good on this bad experience,,,,End of Rant......
Old 05-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
I have a friend that had a job as a technician helper for about a year and now he just got out of UTI in Florida. I think he was there for about a year and now he got accepted to BMW step in New Jersey which isn't required to be a BMW tech but It's extra hands on training which a lot of techs go to now.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
I am very capable of doing oil changes on my ultimate driving machine,will it affect the warranty?My car went in for scheduled service,oil change,wiper blades & the battery cable recall service,when I was driving home the hazard light came on indicating a low oil condition,"Houston,we've got a problem",I was 2 quarts low.I went back to the service center and popped the hood and found oil all over my beautiful engine & engine bay,the oil fillcap opened and cocked sideways,the service rep said he would get it wiped down and thats when I blew my oil cap,AS*****,How dare you say that you will wipe it down!!!!JERKOFF!!!!,anyway,I spoke with the service manager on Monday and he made good on this bad experience,,,,End of Rant......
How exactly did he make good?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 AM

He kept the car for three days,did a low pressure wash of the engine and engine bay then wiped down everything,when I got there to pick up the car the engine and engine bay sparkled,he had the entire car detailed,(my car is always in showroom condition anyway)but I must admit they did a great job.The service manager gave me a $100.00 Shell gas card but I pushed my luck and got him to order a set of chrome tailpipe covers for free.All in all I was pleased,but will not bring my car to that dealership again.