Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe
Goodbye Beamer Friends

Hi All - A BMW was on my bucket list, so nine months ago I bought a beautiful Deep Sea Metallic Coupe with Cream Beige Leather, Premium and Convenience Packages; it was an untitled demo with 15K, it now has 22K. I traded it in yesterday.

I loved driving it for about 6 months, felt young again. But the last three months the stiff ride and hard seats got to my old 77 year old bones so I traded it in for a softer riding, easier to get out of MB C250. I loved having a Beamer and loved driving it; I never have got a ticket but I have exceeded 100MPH a dozen times in the past few months. Yahoo.
Enjoyed being part of you Drivers, if only for a short while.

I installed a very expensive sliding armrest which made driving more comfortable on the highway and set of very expensive inch thick Sheepskin Custom Made Seat Covers to try to ease the hardness of the seats. They are for sale in the Classified for about 30% of cost if anyone is interested.

Enjoyed the ride, best to you all. Dick
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drd777 View Post
Hi All - A BMW was on my bucket list, so nine months ago I bought a beautiful Deep Sea Metallic Coupe with Cream Beige Leather, Premium and Convenience Packages; it was an untitled demo with 15K, it now has 22K. I traded it in yesterday.

I loved driving it for about 6 months, felt young again. But the last three months the stiff ride and hard seats got to my old 77 year old bones so I traded it in for a softer riding, easier to get out of MB C250. I loved having a Beamer and loved driving it; I never have got a ticket but I have exceeded 100MPH a dozen times in the past few months. Yahoo.

I installed a very expensive sliding armrest which made driving more comfortable on the highway and set of very expensive inch thick Sheepskin Custom Made Seat Covers to try to ease the hardness of the seats. They are for sale in the Classified for about 30% of cost if anyone is interested.

Dick,
Sorry to see you go. It seems that you didn't have the somewhat "firmer" riding 'Sports Package' so we can't blame that. I can empathize with the aging aspect of "comfort." I'm noticing that my 'sedan' driver's door is rather "cramped" to exit in my "Sr. years." It hurts my back.

Any reason you didn't opt for the Lexus? In my many test drives with various Mercedes, I found their seats to be extremely stiff and uncomfortable (sport seats), the seat bolstering quite excessive on some models to the extent of extreme uncomfort...but I'm quite tall...not necessarily broad in the ass. I actually thought MBz was design their seats for someone about 6', 0" max with a tiny ass...and there were no bolster adjustments that would allow you to actually settle down in the seat. I found BMW and Audi cars to be drastically different...and more comfortable IMO. Disclaimer: NO, I didn't sit in, or test drive EVERY model or offering...only the cars that I was interested in...or "equivalent" to the BMW 3-series.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA

Last edited by pointandgo; 05-08-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
First of all, getting to cross something off your bucket list is priceless!! It really does sound like it was a short but sweet love affair, and sometimes those are the ones that haunt our memories the longest. Bottom line: you must be comfortable in the car you drive. Looks like you did everything possible to make the coupe work. But, C'est la vie! Congrats on your new acquisition. Yes, it's not a BMW, but it is a fine automobile. Happy motoring!

ps: Sounds like the new owner of your trade in is getting a gem.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 05-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post

Any reason you didn't opt for the Lexus? In my many test drives with various Mercedes, I found their seats to be extremely stiff and uncomfortable (sport seats), the seat bolstering quite excessive on some models to the extent of extreme uncomfort...but I'm quite tall...not necessarily broad in the ass. I actually thought MBz was design their seats for someone about 6', 0" max with a tiny ass...and there were no bolster adjustments that would allow you to actually settle down in the seat. I found BMW and Audi cars to be drastically different...and more comfortable IMO. Disclaimer: NO, I didn't sit in, or test drive EVERY model or offering...only the cars that I was interested in...or "equivalent" to the BMW 3-series.
PNG:

Once you get out of the 3er equivalent, the MB seats are positively couch like compared to the the seats in our E9X variants. Interestingly enough, sometimes cushy isn't better. I actually find I am more comfortable in the E93 over long distances than I am in our MB E430. Part of that is due to the depth of the seat cushion. It puts an awkward pressure point on the back of my legs, but then I am also more comfortable in a straight backed chair vs a recliner. Yes, I am an anomaly.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by drd777 View Post

Hi Dick, sorry to hear you're leaving us. Maybe someone up here in New England will be wanting those sheepskin seat covers, I can't imagine them in Sun City!
Glad to hear your bucket is lighter. What else is on it? BTW, my dad just turned 92, he'd give my right arm to be 77 again. More power to ya!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
PNG:

Once you get out of the 3er equivalent, the MB seats are positively couch like compared to the the seats in our E9X variants. Interestingly enough, sometimes cushy isn't better. I actually find I am more comfortable in the E93 over long distances than I am in our MB E430. Part of that is due to the depth of the seat cushion. It puts an awkward pressure point on the back of my legs, but then I am also more comfortable in a straight backed chair vs a recliner. Yes, I am an anomaly.
If you are referring to your SO's Benz, we have to consider what year, make and model it is. Yes, many former MBz had quite "cushy" seats...my S320 certainly did! The most comfortable car that I ever owned. I never "tracked" it fearing that I would fall asleep on the road course due to the cabin "isolation" that it provided (double layer glass on the side windows...you couldn't hear ANYTHING from the outside, including a police cruiser chasing you, etc.).

I'm trying to remember the MBz sports model that I tried to cram myself in prior to my E92 purchase....a 'C' something...the bolstered seats were not adjustable...they were ridiculously "tight" and not made for "larger" people.

The adjustments on my E92 Sport seats were the most comfortable of any BMW I owned, and I never got fatigued (lumbar, etc.). Go figure.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
If you are referring to your SO's Benz, we have to consider what year, make and model it is. Yes, many former MBz had quite "cushy" seats...my S320 certainly did! The most comfortable car that I ever owned. I never "tracked" it fearing that I would fall asleep on the road course due to the cabin "isolation" that it provided (double layer glass on the side windows...you couldn't hear ANYTHING from the outside, including a police cruiser chasing you, etc.).

I'm trying to remember the MBz sports model that I tried to cram myself in prior to my E92 purchase....a 'C' something...the bolstered seats were not adjustable...they were ridiculously "tight" and not made for "larger" people.

The adjustments on my E92 Sport seats were the most comfortable of any BMW I owned, and I never got fatigued (lumbar, etc.). Go figure.
+1. The Sport seats on my ex-E93 and my current E90 are easily the most comfortable. In fact, they rival seats from Volvos I have owned, which prior to the E9X, were the high-water mark for seat comfort I had experienced.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe
Thanks for the good wishes

Hi all. I went on a BASE auto trial day, trying to stay at about $33K. I drove the Audi A4, thought lit was a fine auto, but found the 4 a bit noisy, ride was good, but to get a decent model without rubber window trims you quickly got up to about $38+. The Cad ATS was a fine car too but the base model had plastic seats, and a non turbo 4 which worked to hard, here too to get nice seats and a min of luxury the price went up very quickly to $40K. I drove the new Lexus ES which was so lovely all around, I went to sleep. There are no BASE Lexus, "we only have them well equipped" i.e. $42 and up. Finally, went to the MB Dealer. really liked the LOOK of the C250 Sport, but with the lowered frame and stiffer suspension, I was almost back in my BMW Coupe. I drove the C250 LUXURY version and loved the ride. Long story short, they swapped out the grill on the Luxury to the Sport grill so I have the same LOOK as the sport but with the LUXURY ride for $32K. Love it. Thanks all. Dick
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
PNG:

I agree, and no you're not an anomaly. I used to suffer from back pain years ago and dreaded riding in cars with plush seats. Firmer seats offer better support. Although they feel hard when you first sit down, over the course of a long drive, firmer seats are much more comfortable.

It's a shame that BMW doesn't offer the sport seats as an option on non-sport models. They are soooo much more supportive than the non-sport seats.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 335i auto, Volvo T5 man
Mine, with its sports seats, is a harder ride than my Volvo s60 t5. But at 62 the seat warmers in my Bimmer are most welcome especially in winter.

Glad that you did try one out and I home your new motor lasts for ever.

Take good care.

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
Dick moving at 100mph,things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
good one beavis