Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: na
Prospective X1 buyer - Please share your thoughts

So hello everyone! I am a current BMW owner of 5 plus years in my 2005 325i (E46) manual. It is a silver sedan, with tan leatherette. A few cars before that was my first love, a 1988 528e manual.

So I find myself considering a new ride, and I can financially pull off an F30 335xi loaded up with the M package and a half dozen other packages, if I really wanted to... It's one that is on my dealer lot right now in a manual. It has me drooling, albiet it wouldn't be my ultimate first choice color combo. But not bad. Glacier with Black leather.

Anyway, the big BUT is,... But the bulk of my daily driving is a 3 mile one-way commute with one or two, 30 min to 1 hour drives per week. The short drives in the winter always made me feel like the poor I-6 engine would not be getting warm and thus condensation would occur. With a 335, I would imagine the problem would be at least as real. So I thought perhaps a 4 cylinder.

Long story short, if I go 4cyl and an auto, the X1 appeals more to me than the 328. An SUV/SAV just seems more appropriate for a 4cyl than a somewhat large 3 series (personal opinion). I'd get an X-Line 2.8 with X-Drive and premium and maybe some other stuff. No matter what I add it will be economical compared to the F30 335 right?!

A few questions:
  1. What are your thoughts? Am I crazy to not get a 335 over an X1 if I can afford it? Would you?
  1. What do you love or hate about the X1 and/or the F30?
  1. Maybe I should just dump $2k or $3k into my E46 and try to love it again? It's only got 70,000 miles on it. But it is feeling a little older and not as sharp as it once was, and again, I can afford to make a move. Hate to put $3k into a car that won't be worth $3k more when I'm done.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Thanks for your advice!
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 PM
BJB

Mein Auto: X1

2 or 3 k at a bmw dealer isn't much and maintenance will start to add up
Well it depends on what's important on 335 vs x1. Is gas mileage important? Adv x1
Is being unique important? Adv x1
Performance? Adv 335
I personally like x1 looks vs sedan but thats my opinion.
Just be aware that there's not a lot of storage in back compared to x3 and other small suv's

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by bjbolduc; 05-08-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Someone ran a red light and totaled my E46 325 manual. I loved that car so much I upgraded everything (SSK, suspension, supercharger).

I moved to an E90 335i 6AT with paddles before trading it for the X1 M Sport (bad back and baby on the way). My parents have a F30 328i. The F30 is basically an E39 5 series with loads of bells and whistles and is a tad disconnected compared to the E46 and E90. The Electronic Power Steering is to blame.

If I were in your shoes I would keep the E46, move to an E9x, or order an X1 exactly the way you want it.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Obviously no one can tell you what you like, but if you're looking for a reality check by polling other people's experiences, here's my own thought process.

I had an E46 325i manual which I absolutely loved. My only complaints about that car were I wished it had a 6-speed rather than a 5 (highway RPM), and it was a touch slow. I replaced that with an E90 328i manual, which addressed both those complaints, but somehow I never made the same connection with that car as I did with the E46. Then I got a 335d which is an outstanding all-around car but still a further step less entertaining somehow (although I have to admit having that torque on hand is fun).

My lease is up on the d, and I just can't get into the F30. It's bigger still, and that steering just doesn't do it for me. My wife has an X3 335i, and although it really is a great-driving SUV, I find it to be more competent than fun.

When I was looking to order in March, the lease deals on the F30 were great. I could have leased a pretty loaded 328i Sport for about the same monthly as the X1 xDrive 28i MSport which I ended up ordering. I drove an F30 and X1 back-to-back and in the end I felt, by my standards, the X1 is actually a better driving car. I really like the tech updates to the F30, but nothing I can't live without.

Well, I'll find out soon as I'm picking up my X1 tomorrow. I'll have a better sense after the inevitable new-car honeymoon, and will be glad to do an E90/E84 comparison at some point soon.

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt

Last edited by dgkfl; 05-09-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i
I know this is not that helpful, but your choice really comes down to your personal preferences and cost really should not be a factor for you, considering your current situation.

Cost aside, I wanted the X1 more than a 3 series sedan purely from a styling and uniqueness standpoint. I really like the look of the X1. The next factor for me was gas mileage - I leaned heavily toward the 4 cylinder solely for that reason. Not important to many people, but very important for me.

If I was itching for a new car, I would definitely not put $3,000 into my existing vehicle. The handwriting is on the wall - you are going to get a new car within the next 18 months, at most. Silly to put in that kind of money into another year of life.

By the way, I love the X1 - only had it a week, but I think it is just awesome. I hate that I'm at work typing this rather than in the car driving.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by edman View Post
I hate that I'm at work typing this rather than in the car driving.
+1

For me, it was the extra space and height of the SAV.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
I think your concern over the short commute would be the same for the N20 or the N55 engine.

IMHO the main downside to the X1 is no 6MT.

F30 electronic steering sucks. Numb, light, and soulless. With the X1 you get the classic hydraulic steering that is/was the hallmark of BMW.

If I were in the market for a new car I would be slightly more likely to get an X1 than an F30. I would pocket the difference in price and use it enjoy a nice trip to Spain or Tuscany.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 05-09-2013, 03:58 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Alternatively, If you don't need 4 doors how about a 135i? That is probably the closest thing to your E46 on the road today.

ED Video:

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 05-09-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
I think your concern over the short commute would be the same for the N20 or the N55 engine.

IMHO the main downside to the X1 is no 6MT.

F30 electronic steering sucks. Numb, light, and soulless. With the X1 you get the classic hydraulic steering that is/was the hallmark of BMW.

If I were in the market for a new car I would be slightly more likely to get an X1 than an F30. I would pocket the difference in price and use it enjoy a nice trip to Spain or Tuscany.
I hear Tuscany is nice this time of year.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:49 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
I hear Tuscany is nice this time of year.

I'll let you know, I'll be there in about 10 days. If I remember I'll post a pic. We are renting an Alfa Romeo.

All of my prior visits there were in the middle of the summer.

ED Video:

BMWCCA #448878
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
The only real drawback and it's significant of the 335 is the EPS. The xDrive X1's have the hydraulic steering (the sDrive is EPS) as the EPS won't fit with the AWD system. Personally I'd take the loaded M335 with 6MT every day and twice on Sunday over the X1 28 even with the EPS. However I am considering the xDrive X1 28 for my next car due to the extra height, the AWD in Michigan and most of all the hydraulic steering. With my limited budget, my 3 series choice would be a 320i and the EPS is leading me towards the X1 at this time.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:44 AM

Tip In...?

I was reading of acceleration lag on the X1. I did notice it lugging a bit when not in sport mode. Is the tip in resolved or is it still an outstanding issue for the X1?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Mike Miller (BMWCCA Tech writer) had an interesting and lengthy reply to questions about "lag" in the last Roundel (just came); very reasoned with lots of info backing.

However, you can sum it up with a very short statement: "In the interests of good fuel economy with performance, trade-offs have to be made. Live with it."
Old 05-13-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0gue View Post
So hello everyone! I am a current BMW owner of 5 plus years in my 2005 325i (E46) manual. It is a silver sedan, with tan leatherette. A few cars before that was my first love, a 1988 528e manual.

So I find myself considering a new ride, and I can financially pull off an F30 335xi loaded up with the M package and a half dozen other packages, if I really wanted to... It's one that is on my dealer lot right now in a manual. It has me drooling, albiet it wouldn't be my ultimate first choice color combo. But not bad. Glacier with Black leather.

Anyway, the big BUT is,... But the bulk of my daily driving is a 3 mile one-way commute with one or two, 30 min to 1 hour drives per week. The short drives in the winter always made me feel like the poor I-6 engine would not be getting warm and thus condensation would occur. With a 335, I would imagine the problem would be at least as real. So I thought perhaps a 4 cylinder.

Long story short, if I go 4cyl and an auto, the X1 appeals more to me than the 328. An SUV/SAV just seems more appropriate for a 4cyl than a somewhat large 3 series (personal opinion). I'd get an X-Line 2.8 with X-Drive and premium and maybe some other stuff. No matter what I add it will be economical compared to the F30 335 right?!

A few questions:
  1. What are your thoughts? Am I crazy to not get a 335 over an X1 if I can afford it? Would you?
  1. What do you love or hate about the X1 and/or the F30?
  1. Maybe I should just dump $2k or $3k into my E46 and try to love it again? It's only got 70,000 miles on it. But it is feeling a little older and not as sharp as it once was, and again, I can afford to make a move. Hate to put $3k into a car that won't be worth $3k more when I'm done.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Thanks for your advice!

Only 70k miles? What does it need?

I'm still keeping my 2001 e46 with 156k, but that's probably becoming somewhat unwise..
Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_again View Post
Only 70k miles? What does it need?

I'm still keeping my 2001 e46 with 156k, but that's probably becoming somewhat unwise..
My E46? Well, the lights on again, so it needs gas. I've addressed an issue I had where they buggered a hole on my rear hub. It was much less of an issue than I had surmised. So now I'm planning to swap the Meyle CABs back to OEM to soften the roadfeel a bit. And it needs a rear spring. Just found that last weekend.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 xDrive 2.8i
@ r0gue: My gf had a 2003 540i, performance package and all possible options and to make a long story short, we ended up getting rid of the car even after spending some $$$ on repairs/replacement since the cost to maintain/repair over time will be more than the car's actual value. Sad to let it go, but that is the most practical to do. We got an xdrive2.8i after that. So far so good. Can be fun/engaging to drive... like a tall mini cooper and frankly, that was what closed the deal for me (we also considered a 328 or an X3 by the way).

Given your short commute per week, expect 19-20 mpg (my gf drives 18 miles to and from work per day and thats the mpg that she gets). Not so worried about the mpg though. A lot of people comment on the small interior space, but it really boils down to how a buyer defines what is big or small...if it's too small and doesn't fit your lifestyle, then don't get it, haha. Am not a fan of the ECO PRO with the engine on/off feature..so far i doubt what it is supposed to do but no problem, you can always turn that somewhat annoying feature off with a click of a button. the factory sound system sounds pretty awesome, picks up hd signal just fine--no need for the HK upgrade. The leather seating is good, but not that good so spend your $$$ on another option--the leatherette is pretty darn good.

To end. this x1 2.8 is my 5th bimmer over the years (I know, a nasty habit i used to have) and so far when it comes to overall driving satisfaction, it comes second to my '05E46(ZHP) Get the X1!!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:54 PM
General of the Universe

Mein Auto: Porsche Panamera 4S
I just sold the F30 335 for the X1 35 M Sport. The X1 has far more utility and much better steering feel for almost 10 grand less. The 335 has a better tranny and slightly better fuel economy due the start stop and tranny. The X 1 is a little retro for me given that I had an E90 335 from 07-10 but the X1 is a great balance of fun practicality and utility with similar performance. I also love the panoramic roof. Can't go wrong w either but for the money you can't do better than an ultimate pkg 35 M Sport X1! I had it at 156mph yesterday on the autobahn before dropping it off
Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky_soldier View Post
I had it at 156mph yesterday on the autobahn before dropping it off
pesky speed limiter