Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Injector replacement

So after only 31K, I was experiencing early morning rough idle and misfires. Went in for a service and had all 6 injectors replaced with new updated versions as I was told the current ones were older version. All done under warranty.

So how long will these new gen injectors last? 30k on the originals is pretty unacceptable, not to mention the cost of the service if I would have been out of warranty.

I know we're covered with extended warranties for our HPFPs and turbos, I just didn't realize the injectors were so expensive. Makes me want to rethink and consider an extra warranty coverage program if there is a chance these injectors don't hold up.
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
So after only 31K, I was experiencing early morning rough idle and misfires. Went in for a service and had all 6 injectors replaced with new updated versions as I was told the current ones were older version. All done under warranty.

So how long will these new gen injectors last? 30k on the originals is pretty unacceptable, not to mention the cost of the service if I would have been out of warranty.

I know we're covered with extended warranties for our HPFPs and turbos, I just didn't realize the injectors were so expensive. Makes me want to rethink and consider an extra warranty coverage program if there is a chance these injectors don't hold up.

What expensive? Why, DIY's abound.

Then again, all six???? Suspicious. What exactly was found wrong? Your issue was typical of impending HPFP failure, solved in software w/pre-emptive hardware replacement.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 AM

Verbatim from the service receipt.

"Cylinders 5 and 6 are misfiring. Found bank 2 injectors leaking. Vehicle equipped with outdated injectors. Also bank 2 spark plugs fouled by injectors. Connected battery charger. Battery voltage 12.6 volts. Ran vehicle test. Faults stored, 29cc, 29d2, 29d1. Bank 2 injectors faulty. Updated injectors required all injectors to be replaced. Replaced all 6 injectors. Calibrated injector volume. Reset engine adaptations. Road tested for proper operation. Verified repair."

RE; HPFP replacement and software update, they were done at 2k on the odometer.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Verbatim from the service receipt.

"Cylinders 5 and 6 are misfiring. Found bank 2 injectors leaking. Vehicle equipped with outdated injectors. Also bank 2 spark plugs fouled by injectors. Connected battery charger. Battery voltage 12.6 volts. Ran vehicle test. Faults stored, 29cc, 29d2, 29d1. Bank 2 injectors faulty. Updated injectors required all injectors to be replaced. Replaced all 6 injectors. Calibrated injector volume. Reset engine adaptations. Road tested for proper operation. Verified repair."

And there it is. Thanks! Useful info....
Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 AM

So is it reasonable to expect injectors to last the life of the car or are they replaced like lets say spark plugs, at regular maintenance intervals?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
since the engine is direct injected, I am thinking the injectors get pressure when the engine is on the compression stroke and also get the heat from firing? Would I be correct in my thinking, if thats the case you would think they are not protected like being on the intake side of the valves, so they are in a tougher environment.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
So is it reasonable to expect injectors to last the life of the car or are they replaced like lets say spark plugs, at regular maintenance intervals?

Piezoelectrics don't last forever and injectors prob will be replaced at a point unknown. Car runs as long as you care to fix it.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
All six of mine were replaced with the HPFP recall. That was 61k miles ago and no problems since. Calwaterboy is right. DIY injectors is easy and they don't cost a whole lot more than any other injectors on other cars. And hondo, you are correct about the tougher environment but the injectors are designed for that environment. Think about a diesel. Compression is at least 3 times higher and heat is higher but no one complains about those injectors.

High presicion direct injection in gas engines makes high compression, fuel efficient, turbo-charged motors possible. It is great advance but there are growing pains.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
I had mine done around 35-45 and they first did like 1 bank then finally did them all.

Same thing rough idle and miss + ses
Old 05-09-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Another reason I think I am going to keep my N51.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Another reason I think I am going to keep my N51.
Gotta pay to play... Be glad you don't own a Maserati