Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: X1
X1 manufacturing plant

Hi,

First post, but have been lurking on the forum for a while on anything to do with the X1. The X1 I've ordered is coming this month (finally!), and I noticed something that I wanted to clarify with the more knowledgeable members here. I tried searching but couldn't find anything specifically on this.

As everyone knows the X1 is built in a few different plants. However I have heard that X1 production will be shifting to the Spartanburg plant for North America. This makes sense however I wasn't sure if the transition had occured yet. When I look at the plant website it doesn't list the X1 as being built at Spartanburg (just articles on plans to build it there). However I have called BMW Canada for regular status updates on my car and they keep saying my car is being built at Spartanburg. I've also seen posts from members here who have done pickups of their X1's at that plant, so I have to believe it is producing X1's.

The thing that is confusing is the last 7 characters of my VIN start with VV#####. When I look at the VIN Decoder information on the internet, the Spartanburg plant is indicated by 'L'. I can't find much information on what 'V' means but some people say it is Leipzig. If that's the case the car should be being build in Germany shouldn't it? Can BMW use VIN numbers that don't represent the actual location the car was built? I figure that would violate some laws. Of course all this is moot if Spartanburg is also manufacturing plant 'V'.

Thanks ahead of time for any information!
Ads by Google
Old 05-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i
Hey there,

My X1 just got out of production at the Leipzig, Germany plant and the last 7 digits of my VIN begin with VW for what it's worth.

Currently Spartanburg builds X3, X5 and X6. But from what I understand that is winding down, and the plant will be shutting down to be reconfigured for X1 production beginning in the Spring / Summer of 2014.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:41 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1LA View Post
Hey there,

My X1 just got out of production at the Leipzig, Germany plant and the last 7 digits of my VIN begin with VW for what it's worth.

Currently Spartanburg builds X3, X5 and X6. But from what I understand that is winding down, and the plant will be shutting down to be reconfigured for X1 production beginning in the Spring / Summer of 2014.
I sure hope not. European delivery is one of the major advantages of buying a bimmer.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 05-09-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 128i Vert
Here's an article on the expansion of Spartanburg.

http://www.bmwcca.org/node/3666
Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i
Re: X1 manufacturing plant

Quote:
But from what I understand that is winding down, and the plant will be shutting down to be reconfigured for X1 production beginning in the Spring / Summer of 2014.
My understanding is that the X1 will continue to be produced in Germany (it's based on the car body) but the to-be- announced X4 will be made in Spartenberg.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: FX35
Edman, yes from what I hear from friends that work at the plant it's the X4.

Orbie, the people picking up their X1 in Spartanburg are doing so at the performance center not the plant.

Last edited by GvlBuckeye; 05-09-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I highly doubt the E84 would be produced at Spartanburg as it is already more than halfway into its lifecycle and it would make no sense from a tooling cost perspective to build an additonal assembly line, set up suppliers,etc for just another 2 years or so. Furthermore carmakers dont generally shift production in the middle of a model cycle for the aforementioned reason.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: I wish it was a Bimmer
X1 manufacturing plant

The tour guide at Spartanburg specifically told us that the X4 and a redesigned X5 are being built in SC. No plans to move X1 production.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i and BMW X1
I hope not. One reason I skipped X5 and X3 because they are made in USA. I prefer Bimmers Made in Germany. Quality of work is noticeable.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: X1 35i M-Sport
To the OP, this is going to come across as a bashing of BMW Canada but my personal experience with their customer service "call center" has been extremely poor, infact I would say the worst experience I have ever had with any company ever in terms of lack of knowledge, misquoting, inconsistent client experience etc. This is my first BMW and the brands credibility has been somewhat diminished in my mind after my many awkward experiences with BMW Canada. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my X1 but in the future I will likely be taking a serious look at other competing brands.

I have called them many times and I can guarantee it was just the customer service rep you talked to that had no idea what they were talking about. It's actually comical how little their agents know about BMW's, I too was once told by an agent that my car was being built in the US and should expect to see it in 2 weeks (this was around the time of my scheduled production week). I once called 3 times in a row talked to 3 different agents and was told 3 different answers to a question. How can one agent tell me my car is scheduled for production, one agent tell me it is at the port for shipping and one tell me it is currently in production after providing the same VIN # all 3 times??
Another agent once started to reference 2011 package options, this was in Feb 2013...
I used to manage a call center and I am very surprised how one of the worlds most "powerful brands" has such low customer service standards, it's like they have no team leaders, no quality coaching, no product knowledge training, and above all the cardinal sin of providing a BS answer when they are unsure instead of admitting they don't know and then going to find out the right answer.

Sorry I had to get all of that off of my chest... again love my car and will try to keep it positive with future posts!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydetiger View Post
The tour guide at Spartanburg specifically told us that the X4 and a redesigned X5 are being built in SC. No plans to move X1 production.

This is a relief. I mentioned this to the wife and her reply was "No European Delivery then I'm not driving a BMW" What can I say, once you've picked up your baby at the delivery room it's hard to buy one any other way.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbercasio View Post
I hope not. One reason I skipped X5 and X3 because they are made in USA. I prefer Bimmers Made in Germany. Quality of work is noticeable.
Do you have any proof that US made BMW's are not exactly as good as those made in Germany? I believe you are slighting US workers when the determinant of quality is the process itself and the QC. BMW has made 3 series in Germany and South Africa for years. The quality is identical.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Do you have any proof that US made BMW's are not exactly as good as those made in Germany? I believe you are slighting US workers when the determinant of quality is the process itself and the QC. BMW has made 3 series in Germany and South Africa for years. The quality is identical.
I have to agree, our X5 is probably the most solidly-built BMW we've ever had.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Not this again.......

This isn't an argument anyone can really win.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Not this again.......

You're right, we're all armed with only anecdotal evidence. But I find it hard to believe BMW would risk it's brand by allowing different levels of quality across different plants.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
You're right, we're all armed with only anecdotal evidence. But I find it hard to believe BMW would risk it's brand by allowing different levels of quality across different plants.
It happens for every multinational. I work for a OEM supplier and even across the same product lines, different plants across the world have different defect rates.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i and BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbie View Post
Hi,

First post, but have been lurking on the forum for a while on anything to do with the X1. The X1 I've ordered is coming this month (finally!), and I noticed something that I wanted to clarify with the more knowledgeable members here. I tried searching but couldn't find anything specifically on this.

As everyone knows the X1 is built in a few different plants. However I have heard that X1 production will be shifting to the Spartanburg plant for North America. This makes sense however I wasn't sure if the transition had occured yet. When I look at the plant website it doesn't list the X1 as being built at Spartanburg (just articles on plans to build it there). However I have called BMW Canada for regular status updates on my car and they keep saying my car is being built at Spartanburg. I've also seen posts from members here who have done pickups of their X1's at that plant, so I have to believe it is producing X1's.

The thing that is confusing is the last 7 characters of my VIN start with VV#####. When I look at the VIN Decoder information on the internet, the Spartanburg plant is indicated by 'L'. I can't find much information on what 'V' means but some people say it is Leipzig. If that's the case the car should be being build in Germany shouldn't it? Can BMW use VIN numbers that don't represent the actual location the car was built? I figure that would violate some laws. Of course all this is moot if Spartanburg is also manufacturing plant 'V'.

Read this article about the VIN
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...s/mauto614.htm
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Hi,
As everyone knows the X1 is built in a few different plants. However I have heard that X1 production will be shifting to the Spartanburg plant for North America. This makes sense however I wasn't sure if the transition had occured yet.

Your X1 will be built in Leipzig. Have you contacted your dealer for more info?
The X1 may one day come out of Spartanburg, but not for years is my guess.

By the way, whats your build specs?
Old 05-10-2013, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Not this again.......

(Soapbox)

Hold on...I guess I've missed this "argument" in the past, but it's not really an argument. At this point this is a marketing perception and it's more important than you might realize.

Anecdotally, yes, I think my X3 is every bit as well put together as my E90. More important: there are a lot of cars built in North America, including German and Japanese brands, and there is no reason to think they are not built just as well as their German and Japanese-built cousins.

The perception of inferiority comes from the Big Three's mismanagement of their businesses for so many years (which includes how they dealt with the unions), not from any inherent reason U.S. factories and U.S. workers cannot put out the best-made products in the world.

As someone whose business is part of the U.S. manufacturing chain, I live and breathe the importance of the reality and the perception of U.S. manufacturing quality and consistency. It's what will keep us all from flipping hamburgers for the rest of our lives.

(/Soapbox)

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkfl View Post
(Soapbox)
The perception of inferiority comes from the Big Three's mismanagement of their businesses for so many years (which includes how they dealt with the unions), not from any inherent reason U.S. factories and U.S. workers cannot put out the best-made products in the world.
I would totally blame the movie "Gung Ho".
Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Thanks everyone for all the replies/info! Sort of got derailed at the end there, but I can see where that came from.

Yeah I figured there was some sort of miscommunication with the BMW Canada reps, but it appears they just don't really know what they were talking about and made some things up. Funny thing is the detail they went into, I would assume the status codes would just appear as 'Ready for Transport' or sonething similar, so they would just make up the rest of the fluff around it, how the car is sitting at the SC loading lot and waiting for a truck to pick it up and ship to Canada. So randl I can see where you're coming from, the thing that mislead me was I talked to several BMW Canada reps and the one element of their stories that was always consistent was that the car was being produced at the Spartanburg plant, which conflicted with my VIN number and lead to my confusion.

nbercasio, I did see some threads on the forum talking about the inconsistencies of the first 4 characters of the VIN for BMW, so I did know that they can't always be used to identify the manufacturing location for BMW. But people also said the 11th character of the VIN must be accurate and that would always be telltale of where the car was produced. This was the confusing part as my VIN has a letter 'V', while I know Spartanburg is an 'L', so things just weren't lining up between what the BMW Canada reps were saying and what my VIN was saying.

stonex1, you bring up a good point about my experience with my SA at the dealership. The sales experience was great in ordering the car, but like many things, once they have your deposit/money the service level drops off significantly. My SA is very hard to reach and mostly unresponsive, he takes weeks to get back to me on any updates. So instead of trying to fight it out with him, I took matters into my own hands and got the production number and from there the VIN and started tracking the status myself through BMW Canada. Like randl, this is my first BMW and I was hoping the experience would be a lot better, but this is just one employee of BMW and my experience may have been a lot better with another SA, so I'm not going to hold it against BMW for the deficiencies of one employee.

As for the specs, I pretty much loaded it up. It's a 35i M Sport, Le Mans blue. I'm not sure about the corelation between the Canadian and US packages but it has the Premium (sunroof, park distance), Executive (Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights, Comfort Access, lights, memory seats), Tech and ConnectDrive Services (BMW Apps) packages, which are the 4 packages you can get on the 2014 X1 here. I think the only option I didn't get was the HK system, not a big audiophile. I could have stepped into an X3 at this price point, but I think the X1 offers the better package of sporty car-like driving dynamics with utility that I was looking for. I'm not a huge fan of big cars (SUV's), I'm more of a wagon guy. If they offered the 335i wagon I would probably have opted to go with that as the 3-series is much better equipped (8-speed, HUD etc).

Again thanks everyone for clearing this up, great community here!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
stonex1, you bring up a good point about my experience with my SA at the dealership. The sales experience was great in ordering the car, but like many things, once they have your deposit/money the service level drops off significantly. My SA is very hard to reach and mostly unresponsive, he takes weeks to get back to me on any updates. So instead of trying to fight it out with him, I took matters into my own hands and got the production number and from there the VIN and started tracking the status myself through BMW Canada. Like randl, this is my first BMW and I was hoping the experience would be a lot better, but this is just one employee of BMW and my experience may have been a lot better with another SA, so I'm not going to hold it against BMW for the deficiencies of one employee.

As for the specs, I pretty much loaded it up. It's a 35i M Sport, Le Mans blue. I'm not sure about the corelation between the Canadian and US packages but it has the Premium (sunroof, park distance), Executive (Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights, Comfort Access, lights, memory seats), Tech and ConnectDrive Services (BMW Apps) packages, which are the 4 packages you can get on the 2014 X1 here. I think the only option I didn't get was the HK system, not a big audiophile. I could have stepped into an X3 at this price point, but I think the X1 offers the better package of sporty car-like driving dynamics with utility that I was looking for. I'm not a huge fan of big cars (SUV's), I'm more of a wagon guy. If they offered the 335i wagon I would probably have opted to go with that as the 3-series is much better equipped (8-speed, HUD etc).
Too bad about your SA, but you will eventually get the questionnaire from BMW Canada, and you can give your thoughts then.

That build sounds frickin sexy. Can't wait to see pics!

Last edited by stonex1; 05-10-2013 at 09:45 AM.