Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-10-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
2007 328xi shifter issues??

i have a 2007 328xi auto trans, started car yesterday moved shifter to reverse car rolled back like it was in nuetral moved shifter to drive car still rolled like it was in nuetral. had car towed, car is now in park but ky wont come out and wont start, like it doesnt know it is partk. . dealer hasnt looked at it yet. what is wrong shifter ??
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 AM

any ideas? The key fob is stuck and car wont start.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 AM

Dealer says it need a new shifter mechanisim and new transmision. ??? anyone have similar symtoms?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpstevenson View Post
Dealer says it need a new shifter mechanisim and new transmision. ??? anyone have similar symtoms?

IMPORTANT: Did they say why the transmission needs replacement?

The absurdity here is that BMW dealers cannot and will not work on transmissions. Hey, like that's rocket science? It is not. Find a guy who will. Not much diff than any other automatic. Solenoids very accessible.

Remember, the dealer mission is to separate you from as much cash as possible, hiring SA's to make you feel better about it. Your SA is basically a salesman who rarely, and I mean that, has a mechanic's knowledge of vehicles he recommends service for.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 AM

because of the error code, he say they could not work on the transmision and no matter what was wrong with it all they could do is replace it. Said transmision parts from bmw were not available. The car is in a different state im going back with a trailer to tow it home this weekend.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
because of the error code, he say they could not work on the transmision and no matter what was wrong with it all they could do is replace it. Said transmision parts from bmw were not available. The car is in a different state im going back with a trailer to tow it home this weekend.

What was the complete code readout?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 AM

Im not sure, ill ask when I pick up my car, the car is in atlanta and I'm in KY. The display on the dash had a picture of a gear and an explamation symbol in the center, it also had an curved arrow around 4d displaying. They said the code said the shifter mechanisim was bad and the transmission. I'll get the actural codes when i pick it up. The car was certified and was under warranty until july of this year and to 100k miles. The car currently has 103k on it now. I took the car in to bmw for service and asked them to check shifter and trans at 97k, because it would pop sometimes when taking it out of park, it also felt like the trans would slip sometimes. When they had it in the shop then they could not reproduce the symtoms but wrote all of that in the service order. Since I had the car in for the same issue 6 weeks ago when it was still in warranty under 100k, bmw has agreed to pay 75% of the cost of repairs. Total for shifter and trans will be $9,400, that is crazy to me. Has this model and year had a lot of issues with transmisions? 2008 328xi
Old 05-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
... Since I had the car in for the same issue 6 weeks ago when it was still in warranty under 100k, bmw has agreed to pay 75% of the cost of repairs. Total for shifter and trans will be $9,400, that is crazy to me. Has this model and year had a lot of issues with transmisions? 2008 328xi
Good: you got them to cover most of the cost. Tranny itself is like a $5300 item. BMW only installs new/remanufactured - your core will be returned to GM to be rebuilt.
Bad: you have to pay 1/4, but get a transmission that should last longer than the car.

Both the GM and ZF auto transmissions on E9x cars have been pretty trouble free. You got unlucky (but lucky that it happened close enough to be warranteed.)
Old 05-17-2013, 12:20 PM

This is my first bmw, i had no idea a rebuilt tranmision and shrfter would be over 9k. the car is only worth 13k or so. Any other high cost issues in my future? i'm thinking I should sell or trade before another several thousand $$ iten comes up.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
That's the luck of the draw man, just how it goes sometimes. I see a lot of people with 330i's that have had incredible amounts of things go wrong, but nothing on my end really other than like fluid changes and regular maintenance (brake pads/rotors, fluids, gaskets, etc.) *knock on wood*.

Things just happen, and it can honestly happen to any car. Think of it this way, if you've kept up with maintenance, and get this new transmission, you should bet set for a very long time.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:08 PM

I agree, just surprised at the cost and they don't or can't try to repair, just replace. I just had the tramsision rebuilt on my 4x4 truck with 140k miles, i tow a 5k lbs boat a lot. the cost of a complete rebuild was $1,700 and it is gaurantied for as long as I own the truck. guess that is what Im use to,
Old 05-17-2013, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
I agree, just surprised at the cost and they don't or can't try to repair, just replace. I just had the tramsision rebuilt on my 4x4 truck with 140k miles, i tow a 5k lbs boat a lot. the cost of a complete rebuild was $1,700 and it is gaurantied for as long as I own the truck. guess that is what Im use to,
Unfortunately, it's just how it is with German cars, generally that is.

Hopefully this doesn't deter you from staying with the brand or other German makes.