Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Intermittent Audio Problem

Hi all,

I just bought a CPO '09 328i about a month ago and so far, love it!

I am having an odd problem with the audio though. On two separate occasions, when I start the car, there is no audio of any kind. That includes the chimes, etc. No sounds from the audio system or the car's default door chimes, etc. In pressing buttons on the wheel or dash to change audio sources, etc., there has been some strange behavior and no recovery of the audio.

In both cases, when I stopped, shut off the car, and opened the door, a very loud single chime sound was emitted and then, the audio is back on. Just sticking the key back in the dash made the CD player come on. I drive it pretty much every day and it's only happened twice. I have about 6 weeks left under full mfgr warranty so, need to get this resolved before then.

Any thoughts? I searched the forum and found somewhat similar issues but, not quite the same.
Ads by Google
Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Check for a low battery

Check for a low battery

http://www.bawarec.ru/manuals/3er/e9...3er-e90-12.pdf

Read the part in the above link about the IBS

Last edited by ctuna; 05-10-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM

Thanks ctuna. Very interesting. It could be the IBS is flaky or the battery itself is low/weak and the audio is being turned off for self preservation. The car was parked inside the dealership all winter and I doubt that it got driven much.

I called the dealer and told them about the issue. They are supposed to be consulting with techs and then calling me back. We shall see.

I will look at the battery to see if it's serviceable or sealed. If serviceable, I'll check the water level.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM

Just opened the battery compartment and had a look around. There doesn't appear to be an IBS on this car unless it is hidden behind the rear trim panel in the trunk. The negative battery cable is a simple standard wire/terminal with brown insulation.

The positive connection is quite elaborate and there's a box attached to the top of the battery that appears to have some functionality beyond simply attaching the pos cable.

I found an odd green "handle" protruding from the insulation in the battery compartment. Its' attached to a cable. Anybody know what it is/does?

Last edited by dodadnules; 05-10-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:06 PM

The ibs on - terminal of battery.

The ibs on - terminal of battery. Its a small module.
If its not on there and its a US car of the model you indicated someone
removed it.
Your battery is probably shot from setting around that long.
There is a glass eye on the battery that indicates its contrition of the battery, if original.
Get a battery tender such as a ctek 3300 if you are a low use user .
Best to measure the battery with a voltmeter a health battery should measure around
12.6 . If your battery is around 12 or won't hold a charge overnight its shot.
You don't need a dealer to do this stuff, its basic.

Last edited by ctuna; 05-10-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:29 PM

Ya, no IBS on the battery. Again, the "-" terminal is a standard wire/loop terminal. It's a US car and in immaculate condition overall. It was a lease vehicle out and back at the same dealership where I bought it. It's a basic model and doesn't even have bluetooth, etc. It's pretty simplistic feature wise so, maybe no IBS in this base model?

I'm familiar with both car batteries and electronics in general. I'm VP of R&D for a medium sized hobby manufacturer. Quite comfortable with technical stuff and have been a car buff all my life. There is no eye on this battery or, if so, it's buried beneath the large red plastic box that comprises the + battery terminal. It covers nearly half of the top of the battery.

I'll measure the battery voltage with the car off so no alt but, I expect it will be fine. The battery holds charge just fine and there have been no issues with starting or any other behaviors associated with low battery.

On occasion, just walking around in the garage the car will start "humming" similar to when a door is opened. The service rep at the dealer told me this was the fuel pump. I can't understand why this would kick on arbitrarily when nobody even touches the car. What are your thoughts on that?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:47 PM

Here's a shot of the battery.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM

Another attempt to upload pic.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:56 PM

And, one last attempt at uploading a pic.....

if not, here's a link to the pic....

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/dod...tml?sort=3&o=0
Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 PM

Very Odd

Very Odd
I wonder if they moved it someplace elese.
I have one and its and 06