Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 320d e91 touring
bmw e91 2009 stereo problem

hi, i have a 2009 e91,

i recently fitted a kenwood flip out screen in the car it all works fine but i have one problem , the head unit was wired to the red wire connected to ignition live and yellow to full time live which i pulled direct from the battery, i spend allot of time in my car because i am a taxi driver every time i switch engine off by pressing the push start/stop button the head unit will switch off and ill have to press the button 3 times again (without pressing the clutch) for the ignition lights to come on the dash so my stereo comes back on then if i open a door then again the stereo goes off its a pain.

so i wired red and yellow direct to the battery. Now it has eliminated that problem BUT now when the car is tuned off by start/stop button the stereo stays on but when i restart it by start/stop button the stereo switches off and on its a headache because the stereo has so much going on it takes ages to restart

ive tried wiring from the 3 different battery points in the car it does the same does anybody have the answer to this problem

thank you
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
This might help

This might help

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809490
Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 AM

top man thanks mate ill give it a try looks like what am looking for
Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Waitaminute. We just skipped over some gold here. An E91 TAXI?

Here in the US, all the taxis are Chryslers driven by insane people with little regard for traffic law. I'd love it if they all switched to BMW's. Then a cab ride would be even more fun!

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:57 AM

yep I will be posting some pics soon and changing my profile pic once the weather gets better there are all soughts of cabs here 2013 e class mercs audi, jaguar the lot its crazy
Old 05-18-2013, 07:08 AM

nope the link given is only so you don't have to pull a direct live from the battery u can use it from the fuse box its not what im looking for thanks anyway
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty786 View Post
so i wired red and yellow direct to the battery. Now it has eliminated that problem BUT now when the car is tuned off by start/stop button the stereo stays on but when i restart it by start/stop button the stereo switches off and on its a headache because the stereo has so much going on it takes ages to restart

Do I read you right? Starter pulls so much current that the Kenwood shuts down, or just tapping the button interrupts Kenwood power?

If so, capacitor[s] wired like a battery backup'll resolve the issue Even if the battery is disconnected, your Kenwood will run until capacitor[s] depleted.

Not a project for the uninitiated, find an electrical engineer! Or competent amateur, but level of ability there isn't guaranteed as it is with a degree. This is a simple thing if one has criteria to work with.

Oh, and adding a shutdown timer on ignition off is wise vis-a-vis accidental Kenwood power on ----> dead battery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumb up 04.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	377144

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 05-18-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 AM

Thanks calwaterboy just logged in today to post that I have found a solution and its the same as u have explained above it works perfect stereo stays on with a capacitor (here in UK also know as a power cap) works a treat thanks everyone for taking there time to resolve this