Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi (soon)
Simple 328xi long term storage steps

I am getting a new car and will be leaving my 2007 328xi wagon for periods outside, unused. I will occasionally drive it (one weekend a month, or less?), but for the most part it'll be sitting.

(I'm keeping it because I love the car and hope to be using it more full time again in the future.)

So - what are some simple steps I can take to help keep it in good shape while unused? I'm also asking specifically to this model. Ie, if its. "Top off the fluids" please specify which fluids. Assume I know nothing, which is basically true.

From my research so far here's my list:

Top off gas, keep it full
Add stabilizer to fuel (any specific recs?)
Change oil
Top off fluids (which?)
Put some mothballs in the engine compartment to discourage vermin
Keep some kind of dessicant inside to help w/interior moisture (any specifics?)
Cover (if I know I'm not using it for more than a month)

Thats my list so far. Mice and wasps and vermin are definitely present in my area. I've read about putting steel wool in the tail pipe but I can see forgetting to remove that, or my wife forgetting, and it seems to dangerous to risk.

Anything else to add? Any specific recommendations for the above? Thanks!!
Ads by Google
Old 05-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328IX Sportwagon
Rent a nice storage place, you will not regret it!
Old 05-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Pump the tires up to their max pressure (won't round-spot so much).
Disconnect the battery (or put on a trickle charger) - it will go dead in a couple months.
Change the brake fluid afterwards (it's hygroscopic - like dessicants.)
Old 05-11-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi (soon)
Well, I actually will need it for weekends occasionally, and renting a separate storage space wouldn't really work.

To the other post - is changing the break fluid something I can do relatively easily as a handy but ignorant car guy?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeG View Post
...To the other post - is changing the break fluid something I can do relatively easily as a handy but ignorant car guy?
It's an easy job, but you need someone to guide you the first time.
Don't worry about pumping up the tires, but do put a trickle charger on it. It would probably start ok if less than 2-3 months, but you never know.