Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 05-11-2013, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: new york
01 740il will only start when steering wheel up and out

Car will only start when the steering wheel is telescoped all the way up and all the way out. I had replaced a wire that was getting pinched when the wheel would go into its upright position when the car was shut off. The new wire is tire wrapped in a spot so it does not get pinched. Has anyone else experienced this issue? There are also some times, although no too often, that I have to hit the bottom of the steering column with the palm of my hand to get the car to start. Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
Have you tried a new ignition switch or at least tried the visor test? One of the strange electrical bugs it can do is move the tilt wheel. Perhaps yours is just a different oddity the switch can cause. From Qsilver7:

Old 05-12-2013, 07:22 AM

replaced the ignition switch

thanks for the quick response. I replaced the ignition switch 6 months ago and it did not solve the issue. I do not see any of the symptoms shown in the videos although I do have the courtesy lights flash on and off as if the four way flashers are on once in a while. I can step on the brake pedal and they go off.
Is there another part that would need to be replaced beside this one?

Last edited by tommyl63; 05-12-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Not that I can think of that would cause a no start, or is it a no crank? No crank issues around the steering wheel is usually the EWS not getting the signal from the key/transponder. Crank but no start would be issue with DME not getting proper info from EWS. Can't think of any reason moving the wheel would affect these but I have never had the cover off to see what wires are pulled on as it moves. Sorry not more help.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 AM

car does start but only with steering wheel up and out

The car does start everytime but, as i stated, only if the wheel is telescoped up and out. although now i have to bang the uncerside of it sometimes to get it to start. thanks for the feedback. any other info/advice would be helpful thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 08:32 AM

Before you get it to start, is it cranking and not starting? Might help someone else help you isolate it.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 AM

more info

No it cranks and starts every time. But there is another thing i thought of that happens sometimes. sometimes, very infrequently only happened a couple of times in the past year, the car will keep running when i turn the key off and pull it out. I have to put it back in and turn it on and off a couple of times and the car shuts off
Old 05-12-2013, 09:09 AM

Interesting. If it were mine, I would order a new lock cylinder and steering column lock. Only because I would be tired of dealing with it, as I am sure you are. Could be something funky with one of those two.

Sent you a PM btw. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:18 AM

replaced the two parts suggested here but the problem persists. I do notice now that there is what sounds like a relay clicking under the dash to the left of the steering wheel when the car does start. When it does not start there is no clicking noise. This clicking noise also stays clicking sometimes and then stops when I step on the brake pedal. But this is only somtimes it is not all of the time. Is there an ignition relay under the dash that cou;d be bad?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
I would check all wire going through the column. Its obvious you have an intermittent wire in there somewhere.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:08 AM

I have looked at the wires and they were all spliced and taped with old electrical tape. I took off the old tape and amde sure they were tightly connected and retaped all of them. These are the wires going to the connector to the ignition switch, which i have previously replaced. This remediation work on the wires did not solve the issue. Do you know if there is a relay under the dash where a clicking noise would be coming from? This sound seems to correlate with the car starting or not. (hear a clicking when car does start and do not hear it when it does not) Even when the car does not start all of the lights on the radio/NAV go on and all elec stuff works (windows, sunroof, lights)
Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Sorry. Dont know the relay. Never really paid attention. When I leave work today Ill try to notice mine. If its had a wire repair in the column I would look again. Sounds like the source of your problem. If wires are just twisted and taped then thats your problem. I would look into some low ohm connectors or soldering them. If it were me, I would re-do all of those connections with nice conectors and heat shrink. If your starting problem is associated with steering column movement then 99% its 1 of those connections you speak of.

EDIT: Sorry, that should be low resistance connectors.

Last edited by JasonSC540ia; 08-16-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 AM

ok thanks I will try that
Old 09-03-2013, 12:03 PM

Fixed wires found valet black box

Update to the ongoing starting saga. I fixed all of the wires in the steering column that were previously taped together. Did not fix the issue. I did however find a small black box under the dash that says Valet on it and has a small button extended on a wire. This is the clicking noise i hear whenever the car actually starts. If i do not hear clikcing from it the car will not start. I tried to push the button on the wire but this does not seem to do anything. Is this a stock alarm on this car or is it an aftermarket alarm? Seems as if this unit is preventing the car from starting because it is malfunctioning. Oce again any advice on this would be appreciated. thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Aftermarket. Might try this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6633385_put-...alet-mode.html

or this:

http://support.directed.com/RemoteGuide/ValetMode.aspx

But I would see about removing the set up.

Last edited by Mayorchuck; 09-03-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
This sound like a very basic broken wire problem. You will have to open the loom and test/check/inspect every wire carefully. Your fault is there. Could even be a defective repair.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 735i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyl63 View Post
Update to the ongoing starting saga. I fixed all of the wires in the steering column that were previously taped together. Did not fix the issue. I did however find a small black box under the dash that says Valet on it and has a small button extended on a wire. This is the clicking noise i hear whenever the car actually starts. If i do not hear clikcing from it the car will not start. I tried to push the button on the wire but this does not seem to do anything. Is this a stock alarm on this car or is it an aftermarket alarm? Seems as if this unit is preventing the car from starting because it is malfunctioning. Oce again any advice on this would be appreciated. thanks
Looks like for some reason the previous owner saw fit to install an additional security system - hence the cut wires in the loom, to splice the black box into the system. Beats me why it would have been considered necessary (BTW, it's not a remote start system, by any chance?) as the E38 is pretty well steal-proof.

I would open up the wiring harness again and disconnect any wires that go to the Valet box and restore the harness's integrity.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Ditto...that rats nest of cut wires & extra box is NOT original. And I agree, it almost sounds like a remote start set-up that was removed.

There's no need for any extra security that would require a "valet box" since the EWS system is pretty much doing that function straight from the factory. Then the OBC has the additional "CODE" feature that will prevent someone with a working key from starting the car...thus the reason there's no need for what seemingly a previous owner installed (again, assuming that it was an extra security feature and not a remote starter).
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg