Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: Early 98 528i
clutch master cylinder question

Think i already know the answer to this question, but while trying to bleed the clutch in my car i can get a good solid pedal once then it back pressures into the master cylinder. I have tried all of the bleed teqniuqes listed elsewhere in this forum and nothing is working for consistant pressure. Does this sound like a bad clutch master cylinder to anyone?
Ads by Google
Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530I/5SC 97-528/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmonki View Post
Think i already know the answer to this question, but while trying to bleed the clutch in my car i can get a good solid pedal once then it back pressures into the master cylinder. I have tried all of the bleed teqniuqes listed elsewhere in this forum and nothing is working for consistant pressure. Does this sound like a bad clutch master cylinder to anyone?
Although the clutch shares the same reservoir with brake master cylinder it actually has a separated cavity, unless you fill the master cylinder to the very top the clutch will get none.

So fill it to the top then try to bleed again.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:02 PM

Have been ensuring it is full. Have tried multiple bleed techniques: gravity, pressure, vacuum, etc. I can get pressure for one pump of the pedal, but instantly lose it the next pump. When it lose pressure it pushes brake fluid back into the resivour. When it loses pressure it seems like i feel a small pop.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 530I/5SC 97-528/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmonki View Post
Have been ensuring it is full. Have tried multiple bleed techniques: gravity, pressure, vacuum, etc. I can get pressure for one pump of the pedal, but instantly lose it the next pump. When it lose pressure it pushes brake fluid back into the resivour. When it loses pressure it seems like i feel a small pop.
Yes, it does sound like the master cylinder one-way washer is toast.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: '10 535iA, '00 528iTM
While there are 2 cavities in the reservoir, the clutch master cylinder uses a high connection to prevent a clutch hydraulic leak from affecting brakes. I agree it sounds like internal leakage at master cylinder. Have you changed any hydraulic parts recently?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 PM

Thats what i thought. Yay more new parts. No i havent put any new parts into the hydraulic system. Was hoping id luck out with reusing the donor car parts. Should have known better, and picked up new hydraulics when i bought the new clutch.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:20 PM

And thank you.