Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-11-2013, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5 4.4i
Unhappy BMW X5 E53 6 disc changer issue

I just recently purchased a 2001 BMW X5 4.4i and I am having problems with my cd changer. It played a cd for me when I first put my cd's in the changer but it has never played again. I thought that the changer or cartridge might be bad so I purchased another cd player exactly like the one in my X5. The same issues occured it would not play the cd's. This has to be an issue with the connectivity with the radio or some problem that I am not aware of. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how was it resolved?

Last edited by maintainer747; 05-11-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Ads by Google
Old 05-13-2013, 01:35 AM

Mein Auto: E53 X5 diesel
BMW X5 E53 6 disc changer issue

Check your radio module. It's located under the spare wheel inside a cover written BMW.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-16-2013, 10:04 AM

6 Disc changer issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiddy View Post
Check your radio module. It's located under the spare wheel inside a cover written BMW.

Every where I research this issue it states that the module under the spare is for vehicles that have the Nav system and those without it is supposed to be in the dash? Not sure.... is there any other reason that the radio is not recognizing that there are disc in the rear cd player. Remember I already replace the cd changer to confirm that it wasn't defective. I still had the same issue.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5
BMW X5 E53 6 disc changer issue

No clue. I have the same problem. Going to replace with a dynavin so it might be a mute point in my case. Would like to know if there is a solution though.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: X5
I'm having this problem too... I could put a brand new cd in and it might play fine for a minute then stop and start back playing like nothing ever happened or it would make noise like if it was scratched
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 AM

6 Disc changer issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE VEIN View Post
I'm having this problem too... I could put a brand new cd in and it might play fine for a minute then stop and start back playing like nothing ever happened or it would make noise like if it was scratched
  • Let me clarify my earlier post. The very first time I used the changer it worked well. The next time I tried to play CD's from the changer it kept telling me that there were no disc. I then replaced all the disc with new one and it went through the motion of loading all disc to see if it would play one and then it went back to no disc. I then purchased another 6 disc changer installed it and it gave me the same malfunction...no disc. I see that the radio in the vehicle recognizes that there is a changer but it keeps saying no disc. I believe that this rules out the changer being bad (for the guy who is just going to change that out) so there must be another system problem causing this and I was wondering if anyone has run across this same issue and how they resolved it. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.4i
i also recently purchased a 2003 X5 4.4i, but my CD changer NEVER worked. I had the wherewithall to check it before I drove off the lot, and it just said no disc. The service guys took it out and said they'd fix it, but they jsut ordered another one from Ebay, which also didnt' work. I've also gotten a CD stuck in the changer they got, and flash forward almost 4 months, and i still don't have a CD player. Any suggestions would be great, but i'm sorry i can't be more help.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM

Cd changer issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotthekeys View Post
i also recently purchased a 2003 X5 4.4i, but my CD changer NEVER worked. I had the wherewithall to check it before I drove off the lot, and it just said no disc. The service guys took it out and said they'd fix it, but they jsut ordered another one from Ebay, which also didnt' work. I've also gotten a CD stuck in the changer they got, and flash forward almost 4 months, and i still don't have a CD player. Any suggestions would be great, but i'm sorry i can't be more help.
when they said they fixed it did the cd changer work at all before you left the lot? If not why did you let them get away with saying something was fixed when it wasn't? especially since you initially checked it out before leave the lot on purchasing.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintainer747 View Post
when they said they fixed it did the cd changer work at all before you left the lot? If not why did you let them get away with saying something was fixed when it wasn't? especially since you initially checked it out before leave the lot on purchasing.
No the CD player never worked. I drove off the lot without it because they said they would fix it. 5 weeks later I went in to have it installed, but that didn't work either. They used one of my CDs as a tester and so now I've lost that too. I am still waiting for them to find one that works, but I think they're hoping I forget. I explain to them how frustrated I am, but they say its not their fault because they don't check that stuff before they sell it. Long story short I think I'm screwed but don't know what to do about it
Old 10-07-2013, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Anyone check the fuses in the trunk to see if they were blown?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrobal45 View Post
Anyone check the fuses in the trunk to see if they were blown?
I am not sure that the CD Changer would go through the motion of checking CD's if the fuse was the issue? Did that work for you?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:12 AM

bump Never received a solution for this issue. Help is appreciated
Old 04-06-2014, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: Mini
I've done a tear down on our Mini's Multichanger unit and showed how well it works once you apply some silicon grease on a couple of the dried out parts inside the changer unit itself.

Hope this helps!