Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Downshift is normal?

Just got my 328i today. Love it, but noticed something that I hadn't when I test drove it.

That is, that the car seems to downshift almost immediately when I come off the accelerator. Reminds me of when I used the drive a manual, and would downshift to slow the vehicle.

Is this common behavior for the 328i automatic (steptronic) tranny? Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to, but my previous car (Camry) was very different in this regard. It would seem to coast when I came off the accelerator, while the 328i seems to slow down immediately.

Opinions anyone??
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
It's programmed that way. Keeps the engine in the torque band so you're ready to hammer the next corner. Note that it keeps the torque converter locked, too (no coasting).

These are performance cars, not appliances.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
It's programmed that way. Keeps the engine in the torque band so you're ready to hammer the next corner. Note that it keeps the torque converter locked, too (no coasting).

These are performance cars, not appliances.
Well, I knew coming from a Camry to a 328i that it was going to be a big transition. I guess this is evidence of that. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
You'll get accustomed to it pretty quickly. When 'coasting' to a stop you'll have to leave your foot feathering the throttle longer than other cars you've driven before. I find I have to use my brakes much less than other traffic around me.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosopo View Post
You'll get accustomed to it pretty quickly. When 'coasting' to a stop you'll have to leave your foot feathering the throttle longer than other cars you've driven before. I find I have to use my brakes much less than other traffic around me.
Right you are. Drove it around a lot today and have already started getting accustomed to it. Feathering the throttle makes sense.

I'm guessing the 328i is probably slightly less fuel efficient as compared to a vehicle which essentially goes into neutral when the throttle input ceases.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsome View Post
I'm guessing the 328i is probably slightly less fuel efficient as compared to a vehicle which essentially goes into neutral when the throttle input ceases.
Actually, it can be as fuel-efficient, or slightly better. When the throttle is closed, no fuel is being injected (to idle the engine.) Because of that, coming to a stop is actually a bit more fuel-friendly than some cars; going down hills the same thing happens. Sitting at a light idling is bad in both situations, so try to time things to come to a stop behind other traffic rather than have to feather it to get there.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 PM
BMW ****

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Yeah I noticed it almost immediately. Having driven a standard for my entire driving history I was concerned that an automatic transmission wouldn't allow me the option of compression breaking to maintain traction in crappy weather. I'm very pleased with the shifting characteristics of my 328 especially in sport mode.