Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 Diesel
Question Need Help ASAP: Pricing on 2010 CPO 750Li xdrive- $49,800

Hi guys and gals,

(Long Post, Sorry) My wife recently got into a car accident where the insurance company deemed the vehicle as being totaled. She is doing fine just some bruises and body pains, but thankfully no serious trauma. She used to drive a 2003 BMW 328i and we are planning to stay with the BMW brand once again.

We originally were planning on purchasing a 2011 535i xdrive but then found a few 2010 750li xdrives within the same price range. Our plan is to purchase a vehicle that is certified, and remain under 50K. We will finance the vehicle given the current 0.9% interest rate promotion for all CPO vehicles until the end of May.

So we found 2 vehicles that we like and the details are listed below:

1) 2010 750li xdrive:
miles: 30, 500
color: black sapphire metallic
int: saddle and black

Options: Camera Package, Convenience Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Sound Package, 4 zone heating/cooling, Navigation

Dealer advertised price: $50,999
My proposed offer: 45,500 (this is where I would start off at)

2) 2010 750li xdrive:
miles: 29,700
color: jet black
int: Black Nappa Leather

Options: Driver Assistance Package, Convenience Package, Luxury Seating package, Premium Sound Package, 4 zone heating/cooling, Navigation

Dealer advertised price: $48,999
My proposed price: $44,000 (this is where I would start off at)

Our most important factor is price first, options second, miles a close 3rd, and color (prefer Black Sapphire Metallic) .
I'm sorry for rushing the request, but our insurance company will pay us out within the next week and half. Once that is completed we have to return our rental car. What do you think about the pricing? Is that a good starting point? I usually just ask them what they are willing to sell the car for and see if we can come meet together. I am by no means an expert negotiator so any help would be immensely appreciated. If you have any other comments or helpful advice regarding this situation please feel free to express them. Do you guys think going with a MY 2010 750li xdrive is a good choice as opposed to a MY 2011 535i xdrive?

Some extra info that may help you: I drive a 2009 BMW X5 diesel, so the plan is if she is not comfortable driving the 750li she can drive the SUV. I know it's going to hurt at the pump, I am getting 25 mpg in mixed driving. Her commute is about 20 miles for work 2/3 of it highway. If you need more info please ask. Thanks to all the forum members for your help.

Last edited by clymer76; 05-14-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: mistake and grammar
Ads by Google
Old 05-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E38 740i Sport, F01 750i
Truth is, if both are CPO pricing, then the advertised price is not too bad--also if the car's been on the lot for a while, you'll have some room to deal, otherwise if they just put it out there, then they might not be so ready to move. So, even if you get it for that, you're doing well. Now, if you can get it less and you like the car and everything checks out, (non-smoker and repaints are important to me) and the service records look good (nothing out of the ordinary) then I don't see a reason why not.

the 335i and 750i are completely different cars. Personally, if i was just in an accident I'd prefer the larger one.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 05-12-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom7 View Post
Truth is, if both are CPO pricing, then the advertised price is not too bad--also if the car's been on the lot for a while, you'll have some room to deal, otherwise if they just put it out there, then they might not be so ready to move. So, even if you get it for that, you're doing well. Now, if you can get it less and you like the car and everything checks out, (non-smoker and repaints are important to me) and the service records look good (nothing out of the ordinary) then I don't see a reason why not.

the 335i and 750i are completely different cars. Personally, if i was just in an accident I'd prefer the larger one.
Hi AOM7,

Thank you for the prompt reply! It's funny you say that, because my wife and I said the same thing about the price. It seems they are priced well to start off, but I have only started to reaserch these cars for the past week. Within that time frame, it's hard for me to say if it is a good price. I usually price compare for months before I purchase something. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of time this time around.

Regarding the re-paint scenario, are there tell tale signs I should be looking for? I also need to edit my original post, we were considering the 2011 535 xdrive against the 7 series, not the 335. Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:25 PM

No worries, we're here to help. The 535 is a good car, but unless it's got the exact same packages, I think you'll find the F01 to have better luxury features. Then again, it's a huge jump from an E46 328i to an F02 (much larger in size, would she be comfortable with that?)--personally, I got used to it, but it took some time. Had to go from an E46 to E39, to E38, to F01 (and had a few of each before getting the F01).

Back to the point though, yes, the pricing seems fair esp for a CPO. As far as repaints, looks to see if every panel has the same "orange peel" on the clear coat (you can look that up if not familiar). You should also run your finger on every edge of each panel to see if it feels rough (when people repaint, the edges usually are left untouched or are haphazardly prepped/finished, so they end up feeling weird)--it should feel mirror smooth. I don't buy cars with repaints, period. Everytime I have, I've always regretted it.
E38 740i Jet Black
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 PM

Thanks AOM7! We really liked the 535 in terms of performance/fuel deficiency, however when we were comparing them against 7series that we also found the 7's were much better equipped in terms of options. I guess a lot of the items you would pay for on the 535 were standard on the 7. I looked up the term "orange peel" and I have seen that on a lot of cars with poor paint jobs. I just never know that's what it was called before

I think she will be fine with the size of the car or will become accustomed to it over time. Another option is for her to drive the X5, she might actually like that better because of increased visibility. The X5 handles extremely well so she can drive whatever she wants, as long as she feels safe and comfortable. I test drove the 750Li and I had no problems with it, granted my first car that I learned to drive was a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 - 4 door version. I actually think that car was bigger than even this 7er. LOL

In terms of the options do you guys think it would be more useful/practical to have the Camera package over the Driver 's assistance package? Although the Driver's assistance package has the blind spot detection bundled into it, which might be an useful thing to have driving this size of a car. The camera package will help with parking which can be a problem around here when you are in the city.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 750Li X-Drive
Its a clear call between the 5 and 7 in my mind. I like the size of the 7 since I don't use it to commute to work and often drive kids around who I don't want them kicking the seats. If you are commuting to work everyday, I think the mileage of the 7 series is a big problem. I am filling the car all the time and I only drive mainly on weekends.

I think you can pretty much can get all the options in the 7 on the 5 if you look hard (and you don't get yellow halos) and with a MY 2011 5 series you get longer free maintenance and CPO warranty and a better chance of getting a model with the latest Combox electronics. When you code the MY 2011 5, you can get HP and Torque meters, tire pressure on the iDrive, which I cannot get on my MY 2010 750Li X-drive. With the N54 engine BMS has Stage 1, 2 and 3 tunes which allow you to easily make your car as quick as a 7 series.

That being said, the one thing you cannot get with the 5 series is the rear sear room. The 5 series back seat is tight.

Also, my experience in buying CPO is that they do not have room to come down $1000s of dollars unless the car has been sitting on the lot a while. Then they just mark the car down. I watched the car Aom7 eventually bought for a couple weeks and they did come down in price. He got a great deal.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clymer76 View Post
Thanks AOM7! We really liked the 535 in terms of performance/fuel deficiency, however when we were comparing them against 7series that we also found the 7's were much better equipped in terms of options. I guess a lot of the items you would pay for on the 535 were standard on the 7. I looked up the term "orange peel" and I have seen that on a lot of cars with poor paint jobs. I just never know that's what it was called before

I think she will be fine with the size of the car or will become accustomed to it over time. Another option is for her to drive the X5, she might actually like that better because of increased visibility. The X5 handles extremely well so she can drive whatever she wants, as long as she feels safe and comfortable. I test drove the 750Li and I had no problems with it, granted my first car that I learned to drive was a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 - 4 door version. I actually think that car was bigger than even this 7er. LOL

In terms of the options do you guys think it would be more useful/practical to have the Camera package over the Driver 's assistance package? Although the Driver's assistance package has the blind spot detection bundled into it, which might be an useful thing to have driving this size of a car. The camera package will help with parking which can be a problem around here when you are in the city.
Great, then if the size is good, you can't go wrong with it, plus unless you have the patience of a saint, you won't find a 5er w/ most of the options that you get on your typical 7er.

I have both the driver assistance and camera package... if the reverse camera is not standard (I forget), then I'd opt for the camera package to get it. If they all come with it, then I'd get the driver assistance, as the front sideview cameras are fun, but you can live without it. I've used the blind spot 100s of times since I've gotten my car. However, if you need the camera package to get the rear camera, then get the camera package instead.

The thing going against you is time... you can try to wait it out for the dealer to sell at a lower price... but then you run the risk that someone else might buy it from under you, not to mention that you won't have that second car soon (rental). But for a CPO, they do spend about 2-3k to CPO it, then it usually sells for about 4k more because of the CPO. And while you can get a lot of aftermarket warranties for 4k, having it all there in one brand is kind of nice. You might be able to get a grand off the asking, maybe 1500, but I'd be surprised if they'd budge any more than that, but it can't hurt to ask.
E38 740i Jet Black
Old 05-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i

I want to have a lot of steel between me and anything else should something happen. These things are built like tanks.

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 PM

That's a beautiful thing to see (not the damage, but how well it handles it). Thanks for the post (saved for future reference).
E38 740i Jet Black
Old 05-13-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoX750Li View Post
Its a clear call between the 5 and 7 in my mind. I like the size of the 7 since I don't use it to commute to work and often drive kids around who I don't want them kicking the seats. If you are commuting to work everyday, I think the mileage of the 7 series is a big problem. I am filling the car all the time and I only drive mainly on weekends.

I think you can pretty much can get all the options in the 7 on the 5 if you look hard (and you don't get yellow halos) and with a MY 2011 5 series you get longer free maintenance and CPO warranty and a better chance of getting a model with the latest Combox electronics. When you code the MY 2011 5, you can get HP and Torque meters, tire pressure on the iDrive, which I cannot get on my MY 2010 750Li X-drive. With the N54 engine BMS has Stage 1, 2 and 3 tunes which allow you to easily make your car as quick as a 7 series.

That being said, the one thing you cannot get with the 5 series is the rear sear room. The 5 series back seat is tight.

Also, my experience in buying CPO is that they do not have room to come down $1000s of dollars unless the car has been sitting on the lot a while. Then they just mark the car down. I watched the car Aom7 eventually bought for a couple weeks and they did come down in price. He got a great deal.
These are great points GeoX750Li. Within the time frame I have been looking for these cars, I have not seen many 2011 535's that are similarly equipped as the 2010's 7's. I'm pretty sure if I wait something will show up, but given our situation we may not be able to wait that long.

Regarding the mileage, what are your real world mpg looking like? Also what type of driving, i.e. mostly highway, city etc.

One of the reasons we were leaning towards the 7 was the space, when we have children in the near future I am sure it will come in handy. We also have elderly parents that would probably appreciate the extra space and comfort in the back. So the space is great to have if needed. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom7 View Post
Great, then if the size is good, you can't go wrong with it, plus unless you have the patience of a saint, you won't find a 5er w/ most of the options that you get on your typical 7er.

I have both the driver assistance and camera package... if the reverse camera is not standard (I forget), then I'd opt for the camera package to get it. If they all come with it, then I'd get the driver assistance, as the front sideview cameras are fun, but you can live without it. I've used the blind spot 100s of times since I've gotten my car. However, if you need the camera package to get the rear camera, then get the camera package instead.

The thing going against you is time... you can try to wait it out for the dealer to sell at a lower price... but then you run the risk that someone else might buy it from under you, not to mention that you won't have that second car soon (rental). But for a CPO, they do spend about 2-3k to CPO it, then it usually sells for about 4k more because of the CPO. And while you can get a lot of aftermarket warranties for 4k, having it all there in one brand is kind of nice. You might be able to get a grand off the asking, maybe 1500, but I'd be surprised if they'd budge any more than that, but it can't hurt to ask.
Unfortunately, the backup camera is bundled with the Camera package. Which I think is weird because I would think a backup camera would be a standard option with a car of this size. What I think would be helpful is to have the Blind spot detection and the backup camera together. But since I have to choose I think the, camera package would be better for us also for parking etc.

Aom7, you have been a great help
Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF02 View Post

I want to have a lot of steel between me and anything else should something happen. These things are built like tanks.
Hi ChrisF02. Great video. One of the reasons we were drawn back to BMW is because they are built like tanks. I even think the older BMW's were more like tanks than the new ones, in terms of the materials they use to build their cars. My wife's 2003 328i was an extremely solid car, we will miss that aspect of that vehicle for sure.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:03 AM

I am going to stop by the dealership this morning before work to see if I can test drive the vehicles that I listed. Wish me luck, I will let everyone know how it goes. Members if you have more info advice please post as I will routinely check in when I'm at work. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
I'd probably get the 7 series. The 2011 5 series had too many problems, like the acceleration lag/delay issue. I hated my 2011 535xi because of it. Yeah you get the new halos and 8spd trans, but it's not worth it. I'd take the tried and true 6spd that doesn't have acceleration lag over a fuel efficient 8 spd.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
These are great points GeoX750Li. Within the time frame I have been looking for these cars, I have not seen many 2011 535's that are similarly equipped as the 2010's 7's. I'm pretty sure if I wait something will show up, but given our situation we may not be able to wait that long.

Regarding the mileage, what are your real world mpg looking like? Also what type of driving, i.e. mostly highway, city etc.

One of the reasons we were leaning towards the 7 was the space, when we have children in the near future I am sure it will come in handy. We also have elderly parents that would probably appreciate the extra space and comfort in the back. So the space is great to have if needed. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.
The extra room is the exclusive luxury feature with the 7 and a primary reason to get one, though the other posters raise valid points regarding not getting the 5 series.

I drive mainly suburban roads with a couple of highway trips thrown in on the weekends and average 15-16 mpg. I rarely drive city or stop and go rush hour, which I think would be an even greater killer on mileage (I could easily see getting only 10-12 mpg).

I would not get the 7 without a backup camera, it would be quite an adventure to park without one. That being said, on the road the Li's really drive like much smaller, lighter cars. Power galore and the braking is excellent.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoX750Li View Post
That being said, on the road the Li's really drive like much smaller, lighter cars.
Can you give an example? Which smaller car? Like it drives like a E350 Benz? The dimensions and sightlines of the car are what always get me, and I run over more than my fair share of lane markers - more than in a smaller car.

What I find tends to drive smaller, are large SUVs. I had an X5 as a loaner, which is slightly wider than the 7 series, and that was more easy to be accurate with on the road. I think it's the higher driving position. The 7 you still sit quite low, and you have big fenders, pillars, mirrors etc. which don't help shrink the car from a sightlines perspective. Things like sports car with low hoods are probably good as well.

Other things like steering and suspension control are very good. So you can drive faster - as long as the roads are wider. Worst scenario - moving fast in heavy traffic on local roads. When you're the meat in an SUV sandwhich at 40 mph.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 05-13-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 AM

Sorry, I was really comparing the 750i and 5 series and intended to type "much like smaller, lighter cars" (rather than "much smaller, lighter cars).

But what I meant by "on the road" is really with regard to driving dynamics there is less handling penalty around corners, during acceleration and braking than you would expect with such a big car. Acceleration is brisk and no ploughing through corners or wallowing during braking that you expect with a limo-sized car. Circular freeway entrance ramps that we have around here are a blast. In comparison, my sister's old e350 was like driving an unrewarding tank.

And yes, its a wide car that takes up much of the lane and you cannot weave through city traffic like with my e36 or when I had my old MR2 and Corolla GTS. But today, its not much wider than the current 5 (same as a 750i). Most of the size is the length and weight and that is taken care of by the power, brakes and suspension.

ARS is great too, you can go into corners without any the typical brake check to limit body roll. Just let the car dive into corners and crank the steering wheel, no need to slow to prevent roll.

Sight lines are not good but I find that to be mostly a parking problem. One thing I do to help place the car in the lane is to mainly focus only far ahead down the road. Its a bit unnerving at first, but setting your bearings ahead and aim for where you want to be early helps eliminate the limited near sight line issue. The car is already heading where you want to be without having to make small, near adjustments.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the backup camera is bundled with the Camera package. Which I think is weird because I would think a backup camera would be a standard option with a car of this size. What I think would be helpful is to have the Blind spot detection and the backup camera together. But since I have to choose I think the, camera package would be better for us also for parking etc.

Aom7, you have been a great help
My pleasure and good luck with the test drives. Wow, I can't believe it's not just standard on our cars! Then yes, the camera package is a must... don't worry about the driver assistance, it's a nice thing to have, but not a necessity. Try and offer 49k for that one with the camera package and see if they're willing to play.
E38 740i Jet Black

Last edited by aom7; 05-13-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 PM

Need Help ASAP: Pricing on 2010 CPO 750Li xdrive

If possible get msport. Makes it look really great. Wish mine had it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 PM

^ What Kar Don said.. it does really bring the car together and 2010 was the first year for it. That said though... knowing the OP's time limitation and the fact that the wife might be driving it on a regular basis, it's probably not as important of an issue as the other options he mentioned.
E38 740i Jet Black
Old 05-14-2013, 07:17 AM

\Hi Guys,

Just touching base- I went to the dealership yesterday and both cars are at another dealership which they are affiliated to. They are supposed to call me once they bring them in. The sales advisor did say that they had a promotion in which they would cover the first 3 payments for certain certified cars. That would be phenomenal, I just never come across that in my research. Have you guys come across anything similar? I wonder if it's this dealerships own promotion to get rid of certain cars that have been sitting around . The gentleman did say that there was not too much wiggle room in terms of the price for these cars, but the dealership did have a 2010 750li xdrive CPO with 44,000 miles which they wanted to unload. They are willing to negotiate much more with that vehicle. Even though it's CPO I am a little leery of purchasing a 7er with that many miles. What do you think?

Thanks to everyone chiming in so far! I really wasn't aware of the 2011 5er have lag issues. We are definitely leaning toward the car with the backup camera, don't want to play bumper cars when my wife or I are trying to park
Old 05-14-2013, 11:23 AM

What are the options on the 44k one? I'd have no problems with one w/ that mileage (as long as it's CPO).
E38 740i Jet Black
Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM

Need Help ASAP: Pricing on 2010 CPO 750Li xdrive

Quote:
\Hi Guys,

Thanks to everyone chiming in so far! I really wasn't aware of the 2011 5er have lag issues. We are definitely leaning toward the car with the backup camera, don't want to play bumper cars when my wife or I are trying to park
Search the F10 forum. Many people dumped there 2011 cars due to throttle lag. The newer ones aren't much better.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: Kia
Quote:
\Hi Guys,

Just touching base- I went to the dealership yesterday and both cars are at another dealership which they are affiliated to. They are supposed to call me once they bring them in. The sales advisor did say that they had a promotion in which they would cover the first 3 payments for certain certified cars. That would be phenomenal, I just never come across that in my research. Have you guys come across anything similar? I wonder if it's this dealerships own promotion to get rid of certain cars that have been sitting around . The gentleman did say that there was not too much wiggle room in terms of the price for these cars, but the dealership did have a 2010 750li xdrive CPO with 44,000 miles which they wanted to unload. They are willing to negotiate much more with that vehicle. Even though it's CPO I am a little leery of purchasing a 7er with that many miles. What do you think?

Years ago when we got an E60 CPO they had that same promo going where they would pay for the 1st 3 payments. I actually was just going to write a check for the car at first, but they talked me into the promo and then paid it off as soon as they made the 3rd payment. Guess BMW is offering it again.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM

That is a crazy deal, the 1st 3 payments would be like over $3K off! Wish I would have had that, where is it promoted?