Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Hey you transmission flushers....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 05-13-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 325i E92 Coupe
I assume this relates to AT not MT. I honestly do not believe that if you drain hot lubricant from an MT via the drain plug you will be left with "...10 quarts of fluid" still in the gearbox. That's nonsense.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; RM intake hose; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Cal, even those flushing machines don't do a perfect job. At one time I needed only two types of fluid in stock, Ford and Everything Else. Now I stock 11 different fluids and still don't have them all. Which brings us to the problem with the machines. They need to be primed with the correct oil, and when you're done they have to be drained and cleaned. Or else the fluid filling up the pump and the lines gets put into the trans. being serviced. Is it correct for the vehicle? Probably not...
Also, I got a bit of a chuckle from the guy's pricing. Some fluids I use cost over $20(!) a QUART. Put in 15 qts of that stuff and there's $300 just in fluid, now add labor and machine time. Lastly, some of my vendors want to sell me "universal" synthetics which would greatly reduce my parts cost and inventory. Never putting any of that in my customer's cars because I wouldn't use it in mine. Are some of the fast flush places using it? Draw your own conclusion. OEM only for my customers unless they specifically allow and name a substitute. Transmissions cost way too much money.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
I assume this relates to AT not MT. I honestly do not believe that if you drain hot lubricant from an MT via the drain plug you will be left with "...10 quarts of fluid" still in the gearbox. That's nonsense.

Auto trans has most of the fluid in the torque converter. At one time tq converters had drain plugs like oil pans. No more.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
"If you have a regular coolant flush you will never have to replace your water pump."

LOL what ever. My electronic water pumps going to fail if its changed every 30 days or once in 6 years.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54

Guys & dolls, I make no claims re: accuracy or applicability of the afore-posted YouTube. Indeed, I expressly deny and refuse all objections, counter-claims, and/or expressions of outrage derivitive of same.

My post serves to illuminate but one point of view, and no endorsement from yours truly is expressed or implied.

Now. How's a guy gonna drain his Step without taking the durn thing out; tilting it?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
I had removed and repaired my old '91 Merceds Benz Transmission via a forum contact's DIY site. The only thing wrong with the transmission were the reverse bands after 200K which, were easily replaceable and surprisingly cheap from MB. The torque converter was also drainable. I was very impressed with the German Engineering as I've been through numerous domestic transmissions in far less time. The consensus on that forum from mechanics and DIYers was NOT to do flushes on transmissions as it would force metal shavings and debris into the wrong areas despite receiving new fluid and still ruin the trans. I'm not sure about our trannys and waiting until they fail with the "lifetime" fluid which doesn't make much sense (all vehicle fluids eventually break down). If I was 80 years old, it might be a "lifetime" transmission but I'm not. I would rather drain it, drop the pan, and fill it, then do it again a few months later. At least the fluid would be mostly new and hopefully extend that "lifetime" fluid to a few more years. Best bet is to keep checking the fluid and make sure its nice and red with a sweet smell. Once it's burnt, you may be toast!

Last edited by sptt144; 05-13-2013 at 11:08 PM.