Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Flat done with it

So there I was this morning, looking at a sheet metal screw fully inserted in the outside tread of my tire. No prob - I found my tire repair kit -- 60 sec later my tire was good.

Then, a thought....RFT's....officially non-repairable, what's a RFT kind o'guy gonna do in such a fix? He's screwed!

And it isn't just the high cost of tires. It's down time, the inconvenience. An interval lost from profit or pleasure, maybe both, to fix an expensive PITA, the greater cost being an owner's time anyway.

Satisfaction washed across and soaked my Wah....Michelin PSS....Conti ComfortKit, need be. Didn't even remove the wheel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumbs Up 06.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	376333

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 05-14-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2013, 06:38 PM

>AHEM<

$6 O'Reilly's - 4 more flats to go

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 05-14-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
So, just a question, Cal:

Would it have bothered you for a cool California minute to use your Conti Comfort Kit if you knew you were going to give the TPM inside the tire a veritable Tsunami of Goo?

And if not, what is your strategy for dealing with a TPM all Goo'd up?

It really is a serious question. . . .

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
So, just a question, Cal:

Would it have bothered you for a cool California minute to use your Conti Comfort Kit if you knew you were going to give the TPM inside the tire a veritable Tsunami of Goo?

It really is a serious question. . . .

Naw. I'd try a plug first, but the ComfortKit's one of those when-you're-really-alone kind o'things. Bonus: Don't have to use the goo if you gotta plug - but can use the compressor.

I've used plugs afore and keep a pkg in my trunk. That's low cost insurance!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Work on RFTs too, no goo needed.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Okay, just asking. I bought a set of plugs which, I too, keep in my trunk. I'm still waffling on replacing my tires with Go-Flats and a compact spare. Getting the feedback about plugs and the Conti-Kit makes me a little more comfortable about running around town on a weekend and running over an unfortunately placed screw.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
In 91,000 miles I have had three screws in eight tires. I repaired all three tires with the plugs shown in CALWATERBOY's pic. They never leaked. Plugs work fine.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540I
Re: Flat done with it

Have you ever heard of road hazard protection? Those plugs fail all the time especially on the side walls due to the constant flexing. Go to any decent tire shop or a place that offers warranties. I know that at my tire shop if you got a nail in the sidewall we would replace it at no cost to you under the first 25% and after that its prorated.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanwest94 View Post
Have you ever heard of road hazard protection? Those plugs fail all the time especially on the side walls due to the constant flexing. Go to any decent tire shop or a place that offers warranties. I know that at my tire shop if you got a nail in the sidewall we would replace it at no cost to you under the first 25% and after that its prorated.

You should NEVER plug in the sidewall on any tire, not just run flats. If you are going to repair a tire it should be in the tread and not close to the sidewall. Road hazard is a money-maker for tire dealers not a money saver for you. It is expensive insurance.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanwest94 View Post

Hey, good luck with that....never had one failure, many moons.

And, I replace sidewall damage.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540I
Re: Flat done with it

First off there are good tire shops and bad tire shops. My tire shop charges NOTHING for road hazard some places charge an arm and a leg. I work at a tire shop that charges NOTHING for the warranty and that includes road hazard. I see those fail all the time. But who am I to say anything.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
So there I was this morning, looking at a sheet metal screw fully inserted in the outside tread of my tire. No prob - I found my tire repair kit -- 60 sec later my tire was good.

Then, a thought....RFT's....officially non-repairable, what's a RFT kind o'guy gonna do in such a fix? He's screwed!

And it isn't just the high cost of tires. It's down time, the inconvenience. An interval lost from profit or pleasure, maybe both, to fix an expensive PITA, the greater cost being an owner's time anyway.

Satisfaction washed across and soaked my Wah....Micheline PSS....Conti ComfortKit, need be. Didn't even remove the wheel.

Attachment 376333
Show me any major tire manufacturer that recommends this type of plug to be used for permanent repair. I don't think any will support this.

Show me any major 3rd gen RFT manufacturer that says their tires cannot be repaired under any conditions. I believe all will support a proper repair provided the tire has not otherwise been damaged.

Last edited by Pasa-d; 05-14-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, X5 4.8is, e46 328i
"Repairing today's tires... Beware of tire plugs!"

Article pretty much slams plugs.

"If you are stuck with a flat, don't have a spare, and need to do an emergency repair, then the use of a tire sealant is preferable to ruining any possibility of repairing the tire with a plug. In fact, some manufacturers are equipping new cars with a can of sealant and an inflator instead of a spare tire to save space and weight. It is possible to wash out the tire sealant and repair a tire properly with the RMA approved method, although getting all of the sealant out can be difficult.
As an important reminder, today's vehicles are required to have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) on the every tire rim. Due to the design of the TPMS, adding sealant will void the factory warranty on the sensor and it will need to be replaced and re-programmed. In the case of an emergency situation, you may have no choice but to use the sealant and deal with the consequences at a later time."

RMA being Rubber Manufactures Association.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post

I carry plugs, tools, a compressor, and a bottle of Slime.

If I ever need the Slime, I have a theory.

The TPMS sensor is a fairly rugged device. It's a MEMS device in a plastic housing. And the entire sensor is already encased in epoxy to protect it from the shocks and G- forces that it experiences as the wheel turns and runs over bumps.

Goo shouldn't affect it, unless the goo is actually blocking the air path to the sensor. I think that's what happens when a sensor fails.

I have this type of sensor, and the air hole is clearly visible.
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...ATocg1YZVQ.jpg

If I ever have to use the Slime, I plan to roll the car so that the valve stem is at the 4:00 to 5:00 position. Then I'll add the Slime. The idea is, the Slime should fall away from the sensor, or at best run down the side of the sensor that does not have the air hole.

I haven't tested it. But it's my theory at the moment.

Frederic