Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Fuel savings my ASS

I've been letting the ASS on my 335 M Sport try to save me some gas. And honestly, I am OK with it. I come up to a light that from experience I know is a long red light. I would be happy to let the engine cut off and save me some gas while I zone out at the endless red light.

But just when I'm getting happy thinking of the gas I'm saving, the engine bursts back into life, and the icon of Start Stop with a line through it shows up on my dash. I assume it's probably because the AC and sound systems are running and the battery is running down?

It's annoying. I'm all for having it save me some gas at long and annoying Northern Virginia red lights. So why won't it?
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 13' 335i M-Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
I've been letting the ASS on my 335 M Sport try to save me some gas. And honestly, I am OK with it. I come up to a light that from experience I know is a long red light. I would be happy to let the engine cut off and save me some gas while I zone out at the endless red light.

But just when I'm getting happy thinking of the gas I'm saving, the engine bursts back into life, and the icon of Start Stop with a line through it shows up on my dash. I assume it's probably because the AC and sound systems are running and the battery is running down?

It's annoying. I'm all for having it save me some gas at long and annoying Northern Virginia red lights. So why won't it?
Having the AC on will make then engine wake up much MUCH sooner. You can turn the AC off when coming to a long stop to keep the engine asleep for far longer. You can also look at the EfficientDynamics menu screen and it will show you which systems are requiring a significant amount of battery power.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFlooner View Post
Having the AC on will make then engine wake up much MUCH sooner. You can turn the AC off when coming to a long stop to keep the engine asleep for far longer. You can also look at the EfficientDynamics menu screen and it will show you which systems are requiring a significant amount of battery power.
Will do. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 15 335xi EB2, 14 F150
Quote:

You could ride a horse to work. That would save a lot of gas.

Run the ASS all the time on a full tank of gas. Then run the next tank and leave ASS off. See what the difference is in MPG. I bet you can't buy a newspaper with the difference.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Re: Fuel savings my ASS

Also, factor in a new starter much sooner than you'd normally need one. Those aren't cheap.

ASS is to help meet CAFE, nothing more, nothing less. Its not for real world benefits at all, just a designated test loop. Save the wear and tear and just turn it off.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 05-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post

Run the ASS all the time on a full tank of gas. Then run the next tank and leave ASS off. See what the difference is in MPG. I bet you can't buy a newspaper with the difference.
ASS is not about saving gas, rather for emission reduction.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 15 335xi EB2, 14 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
What? It is? Do you think BMW spent all the money implementing ASS just to save the planet? They did so primarily to goose the CAFE calculation. Yes they have a gun to their head (thanks Obama). Just turn it off. It doesn't save any dollars, is annoying, and what is wrong with global warming anyway? It has been damn cold this spring. I could use some of that right about now.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:
an ASS with emmision reduction? yes please

Sorry couldnt resist lol
Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Quote:

I agree. The damn thing is annoying as hell. Rather have Xenon as a standard option than the ASS. I would think most people here would agree on that.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Also, factor in a new starter much sooner than you'd normally need one. Those aren't cheap.

ASS is to help meet CAFE, nothing more, nothing less. Its not for real world benefits at all, just a designated test loop. Save the wear and tear and just turn it off.

Funny enough reading the owners manual it stated the ASS will cause increased wear on components. Not sure of the exact wording but it did have a disclaimer warning of this and most likely referring to the battery and alternator. Cranking on the battery that often is not good as well as the starter.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
You could ride a horse to work.
What am I, a horse's ASS?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
What? It is? Do you think BMW spent all the money implementing ASS just to save the planet? They did so primarily to goose the CAFE calculation. Yes they have a gun to their head (thanks Obama). Just turn it off. It doesn't save any dollars, is annoying, and what is wrong with global warming anyway? It has been damn cold this spring. I could use some of that right about now.
ASS has minimal impact on gas saving, rather significant in emission reduction in congested areas.

You may not like CAFE, I drive my car such that I have an average of 16 mpg on my 3 series, but emission control in congested streets is actually a very good thing for all of us, who happen to breath the same fumes.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 PM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 05-15-2013, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 320i w/Sport & Light Pkgs
When I did my test drive I found this feature weird and to be honest a little annoying. I’m not sure if for me will save gas since I do most of my driving in highway. Try turning it off for a full week and then another week on to really measure on average if you on your specific circumstances are truly saving gas or not.

Black on Black 2013 320i Sedan
+ Sport Pkg (M sport suspension, M steering wheel, 18" Light Alloy Wheel V-spoke, Sport seats, Power-adjustable side bolsters, Increased top-speed & Anthracite headliner)
+ Lighting Pkg (Xenon Adaptive Headlights, dynamic auto-leveling, LED Corona surrounds)
+ 2 Way Power Moonroof
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: AH3
Quote:
Try to learn about the science of climate change before posting about it. Otherwise you come across as a buffoon. That's just my $0.02.

Tim

2013 ActiveHybrid 3 Sport line with every option except Parking Assistant
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i Sport Line
Quote:
LMAO. Obama was about 20 years old when CAFE standards were passed by congress in 1975!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Re: Fuel savings my ASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avpilot View Post
Try to learn about the science of climate change before posting about it. Otherwise you come across as a buffoon. That's just my $0.02.

Tim
You may wish to do likewise.

While emissions from cars are an issue with pollutants, the damage a modern car does is quite minimal. Also, climate models are unraveling almost monthly as we see data that doesn't fit the model or models that were tampered with to achieve a predetermined, and therefore unscientific, result. GIGO. There is still MUCH uncertainty about global climate change, including whether it can really be linked to human actives in any measurable way.

// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF30 View Post
LMAO. Obama was about 20 years old when CAFE standards were passed by congress in 1975!
14. I know this. He and I are the same age.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:46 PM

Not that anyone cares since this thread has turned into a debate about climate change and politics.

By taking Flooner's advice, I learned the climate control system was the culprit. This caused me to wonder why, since the weather was cool and I felt stuffy. Come to find out, the dealer gave me the car with all front dash and rear vents closed. I opened them, which let me turn the temps up a notch, and now ASS keeps the engine shut off much longer.

So even if I never use ASS ever again, it did something positive for me.

Edit: thanks, BmwFlooner.

Last edited by HokieXDriver; 05-15-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avpilot View Post
Try to learn about the science of climate change before posting about it.
I'm pretty sure what he said was a joke. Either way, there's a difference between global warming and climate change. Global warming, I think, is a bad term. Climate change is a lot more accurate.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that climate change is taking place. Just in the last 10-15 years, the climate in San Diego has changed drastically. Ten years ago it was simply unimaginable to see 110 degree days in the summer or below freezing nights in the winter. This is San Diego after all, the city with "perfect weather", and it's been like this...basically as long as anyone can remember. Well, not anymore. Every summer seems to be hotter than the last, and every winter colder. That's why "climate change" is a much better term. Because what we're seeing isn't just a warming of the planet. It's an overall change in climate patterns.

Maybe it's not as noticeable in other places in the US or the world, but in the place with "perfect weather" it's very obvious. Because it's most definitely not as perfect as it was a decade ago, and I'm not talking about a couple degrees. I'm talking about a major difference.

P.S. San Diego is still the best place. It's just not 75 degrees year round anymore.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i Sport Line
Quote:
14. I know this. He and I are the same age.
Thanks for the correction!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermax View Post
I'm pretty sure what he said was a joke. Either way, there's a difference between global warming and climate change. Global warming, I think, is a bad term. Climate change is a lot more accurate.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that climate change is taking place. Just in the last 10-15 years, the climate in San Diego has changed drastically. Ten years ago it was simply unimaginable to see 110 degree days in the summer or below freezing nights in the winter. This is San Diego after all, the city with "perfect weather", and it's been like this...basically as long as anyone can remember. Well, not anymore. Every summer seems to be hotter than the last, and every winter colder. That's why "climate change" is a much better term. Because what we're seeing isn't just a warming of the planet. It's an overall change in climate patterns.

Maybe it's not as noticeable in other places in the US or the world, but in the place with "perfect weather" it's very obvious. Because it's most definitely not as perfect as it was a decade ago, and I'm not talking about a couple degrees. I'm talking about a major difference.

P.S. San Diego is still the best place. It's just not 75 degrees year round anymore.
Maybe the SF Bay Area will be the next
Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
You may wish to do likewise.

While emissions from cars are an issue with pollutants, the damage a modern car does is quite minimal. Also, climate models are unraveling almost monthly as we see data that doesn't fit the model or models that were tampered with to achieve a predetermined, and therefore unscientific, result. GIGO. There is still MUCH uncertainty about global climate change, including whether it can really be linked to human actives in any measurable way.

Please site third party (non-politically oriented, or paid for by political party) evidence that this data was tampered. And if you use the news stories of the scientist emails that were discovered and said the data was "tricked" i am gonna internet drop kick you in the teeth for being dumb.

I agree ASS is for nothing more than to meet the CAFE standards. It will definitely increase wear/tear on parts (especially when you come to a stop sign and it kicks in)...The thing should honestly not kick in unless you are standing there 3-5 seconds. I also would love for it to be an option (which almost nobody would get).

I am all for saving the environment, reducing emissions, etc - but this, is just for BMW to meet regulatory standards...and they did it in a poor fashion at the expense of the consumer.

ASS works better in Europe where lights go from Red->Yellow->Green. You have a moment to let the foot off the break, the engine to turn on and go. In the US where it's Red -> Green you are going to get honked at a lot. Also as a person who lives in downtown philly I may find this to be annoying and I will turn it off. Not too concerned on wear-tear since this is a lease, but agree it's design is poor and will negatively impact those who buy and have their cars post warranty

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:50 AM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Quote:
You may not like CAFE, I drive my car such that I have an average of 16 mpg on my 3 series, but emission control in congested streets is actually a very good thing for all of us, who happen to breath the same fumes.
Agreed.

Quote:

This is my concern with ASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Funny enough reading the owners manual it stated the ASS will cause increased wear on components. Not sure of the exact wording but it did have a disclaimer warning of this and most likely referring to the battery and alternator. Cranking on the battery that often is not good as well as the starter.
.... And there you have it, my concerns are finally validated. This is why I should scan that damn Manual. I can't believe BMW actually puts a disclaimer considering that means obviously my hope that they developed some magic potion which would allow ASS to put no additional stress on the obvious components, doesn't exist. Long term owners who plan on keeping after warranty should probably get ASS coded off, unless they want to keep it on for the health of all of us (which would be a noble thing indeed).

Quote:
I hope at least most of that is a joke....
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 05-17-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:29 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
So can ASS be permanently disabled or does it always turn on?

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.