Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: AH5 "13
ASS is useless i completely agree

the way ASS is used on the the activehybrid is genius cause you can finish the last part of your drive in electric and when the car in front of you moves forward more during a red light you wont have to worry about leaving the gap opened or turning on your engine to move 5 feet than turning it off again.

They should implement smaller battery hybrids if they do something on the lines of ASS
Old 05-23-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
The dealer just told me that it can be defaulted to the last setting. Meaning that when ASS is turned off and you turn your car off and restart the car (on your own... your own ass is restarting it!!!), it will remain off. The dealer stated they are doing this for most customers and that BMW, inc. instructed them to do this at no charge.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:19 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Your dealer is correct. It's a one time (free) code update. They will make it so it remembers your last setting. This is standard in M3, and for some reason they thought to not make it standard in the other models.

It also tells you something. When BMW releases on an SIB for something like this (not critical/life saving-threatening) it's due to serious backlash/complaints. BMW doesn't like to do things for free

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Byron

Mein Auto: BMW F31
Last week I picked up my F31 and was happily surprised that the ASS on my car retains the last setting straight off the boat. Possibly this might be the case for all 2014s?

BMW F31 Touring / Mineral White / Sport Line
Old 05-23-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
When I first got the car, I really didn't mind it at all, but now I hate it. Definitely having it re-coded. Not something I consider urgent, but I'll do this sometime over the summer...
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
I got a BMW survey via email yesterday, it asked me what I liked and didn't like about the car, and as soon as I said I didn't like ASS I was treated to 10 pages of ASS related questions, really got the opportunity to speak my mind. The short summary:

"The only value propositions of ASS are saving money on fuel and contributing to a healthier environment. People who can afford $50,000 German luxury cars don't care about the $0.25 cents a week and are already living clean eco-friendly lifestyles. It's the wrong feature in the wrong car with the wrong audience."

"ASS should be disabled by default, and to enable ASS one should have to go a few menus into iDrive. Placing the on/off button next to the start/stop button makes it too easy to accidentally engage ASS and as a result I can't allow my wife to drive the car, ever, because the ASS behavior would scare her into thinking the car stalled and it would happen in the middle of a busy intersection and I can't risk it."

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 05-24-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 116i Sportline/5 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I got a BMW survey via email yesterday, it asked me what I liked and didn't like about the car, and as soon as I said I didn't like ASS I was treated to 10 pages of ASS related questions, really got the opportunity to speak my mind. The short summary:

"The only value propositions of ASS are saving money on fuel and contributing to a healthier environment. People who can afford $50,000 German luxury cars don't care about the $0.25 cents a week and are already living clean eco-friendly lifestyles. It's the wrong feature in the wrong car with the wrong audience."

"ASS should be disabled by default, and to enable ASS one should have to go a few menus into iDrive. Placing the on/off button next to the start/stop button makes it too easy to accidentally engage ASS and as a result I can't allow my wife to drive the car, ever, because the ASS behavior would scare her into thinking the car stalled and it would happen in the middle of a busy intersection and I can't risk it."

BJ
I have really no idea why you folks have such a problem with ASS and just press a button more or less in the car to turn it off if you don´t like it?!
And by the way: It is a lot more than $ 0,25 per week that a driver can save by using ASS. And a better enviroment (with less emissions) matters to all of us, not only to people that drive a Hyundai or Kia.
And why should BMW turn the ASS off for the US when all the other competitors offer it?

I have no problem with it, sometimes I use it and sometimes I don´t. Depends to the situation (am I driving in the City or on a windy Country road) and the traffic I´m driving in.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus_OS View Post
I have really no idea why you folks have such a problem with ASS and just press a button more or less in the car to turn it off if you don´t like it?!
And by the way: It is a lot more than $ 0,25 per week that a driver can save by using ASS. And a better enviroment (with less emissions) matters to all of us, not only to people that drive a Hyundai or Kia.
And why should BMW turn the ASS off for the US when all the other competitors offer it?

I have no problem with it, sometimes I use it and sometimes I don´t. Depends to the situation (am I driving in the City or on a windy Country road) and the traffic I´m driving in.
You're right it saves a lot more than 25 cents a week. If it saves 1 MPG (a huge and highly unlikely if) but at 12,000 miles a year it saves $1.50 per week. Awesome! Now that is worth it.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
Quote:

BJ
ASS is there only to improve the EPA MPG. It doesn't get credit if the user has to turn it on. That is why it's set up this way.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
You're right it saves a lot more than 25 cents a week. If it saves 1 MPG (a huge and highly unlikely if) but at 12,000 miles a year it saves $1.50 per week. Awesome! Now that is worth it.
Well, alright, try to see it from this side: NYC city traffic, one is going from traffic-light to traffic-light, pretty much "stop and go", lot´s of pedestrians on the sidewalks. And now try to imagine if every car that is waiting in front of the traffic-lights would use a ASS!
I think that might be a big difference to all the people on the sidewalks, or not?

One is driving in a car with ASS somewhere in the county? O.K., turn the ASS off.

Anyway, I think in a very short time almost every car will get an ASS, if we like that or not. That´s a easy way the manufacturer can reduce the fuelconsumption of the fleet.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF30 View Post
LMAO. Obama was about 20 years old when CAFE standards were passed by congress in 1975!
Yeah, but to many people, Obama is to be blamed for everything regardless of facts.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:

I'm with you. Many people just have issues with something they are not used to and after driving cars for decades that idled at a stop they do not like something different. I've driven an F30 and after experiencing a stop/start system in my wife's car for the last 3 years I didn't think it was much of an issue.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCarBuying View Post
...the way ASS is used on the the activehybrid is genius cause you can finish the last part of your drive in electric and when the car in front of you moves forward more during a red light you wont have to worry about leaving the gap opened or turning on your engine to move 5 feet than turning it off again.
Is it true that the AH3 has a nicer/smoother ASS than the regular 3-series ASS?
Old 05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

The problem with ASS is that it's being shoved down the throats of the wrong people, for the wrong reasons, and is a danger:

Wrong People:

Anyone who can afford a $50,000 luxury car is educated and socially conciensious already. We recycle, we have energy efficient appliances, we don't smoke, we don't litter. The upper 10% of society is helping the environment substantially more than the pedestrian 90%.

Wrong Reasons:

The upper 10% of society aren't enough people to move the environmental needle. It's the 90% that drive 10 year old cars, don't repair them, have bad mufflers, use cheap gas, smoke, litter, don't recycle. Put ASS on the trucks, vans, taxis, limos, and every Ford and Hyundai on the road, will increase eco awareness and clean the environment 1000x what punishing rich new BMW owners can.

We don't need $2 a week in gas savings. We have money. $100 a year? Who cares.

We drive performance cars. Nothing hurts performance more than an engine that shuts itself off whenever it feels like it.

Danger:

ASS functions like a car that has stalled. The learning curve is steep, takes awhile to get used to. My wife drives my car 4x a year, can't let her near the thing now because ASS will confuse her when she relies on the car the most- like darting across four lanes of 60 MPH traffic from a dead stop. The restart and hesitation is distracting, makes you think the car has stalled when its actually restarted.

ASS can also make someone with comfort access think that the car is off when it really isn't. There are multiple reports of people parking their cars, walking away, and finding hours later that the car restarted and is running. If it ever happens in an attached garage the consequences could be terrible.

The $2 a week, the wear on the engine, the minimal environmental impact, the dangers, it's just not worth it.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
I agree with what you say, BJ...and it does seem like we're the ones being unfairly punished.

Unfortunately, as someone else noted previously, BMW is using ASS to meet CAFE.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Well, alright, try to see it from this side: NYC city traffic, one is going from traffic-light to traffic-light, pretty much "stop and go", lot´s of pedestrians on the sidewalks. And now try to imagine if every car that is waiting in front of the traffic-lights would use a ASS!
I think that might be a big difference to all the people on the sidewalks, or not?

One is driving in a car with ASS somewhere in the county? O.K., turn the ASS off.

Anyway, I think in a very short time almost every car will get an ASS, if we like that or not. That´s a easy way the manufacturer can reduce the fuelconsumption of the fleet.
Good point Markus! Individually the environmental benefits may not amount to much, but collectively they must might make a meaningful difference.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
Is it true that the AH3 has a nicer/smoother ASS than the regular 3-series ASS?
I would imagine the 3 series AH is similar to the 5 Series AH I bought for my wife, and it ABSOLUTELY is better.

The two big differences:

1. When the "engine" turns off, the electric motor takes over, so you never had a situation where everything is "dead" like the steering wheel, etc. You can move "up in line" without the gas engine kicking on.

2. When its time to "go" (such as from a stop, etc), you immediately move forward under power from the electric engine. The gas engine kicks on, and it is seamless. You do not feel the gas engine starting, or stopping at ALL.

I think anyone that drove an AH would be really amazed by the auto start/stop feature. After driving my wifes AH5, I had to get the feature coded off ASAP in my 335i since it was SO different.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Wrong Reasons:

The upper 10% of society aren't enough people to move the environmental needle. It's the 90% that drive 10 year old cars, don't repair them, have bad mufflers, use cheap gas, smoke, litter, don't recycle. Put ASS on the trucks, vans, taxis, limos, and every Ford and Hyundai on the road, will increase eco awareness and clean the environment 1000x what punishing rich new BMW owners can.

BJ
Well, in Europe every Ford and Hyundai offer an ASS system already, and also the taxis (because most of them are Volkswagen or Mercedes vehicles) and Audi, Opel, Fiat, Kia, Toyota, Mazda and so on and on.

But, I agree with you, when a customer don't like it all and feel bothered by it, then it should possible to switch it off continously.

Last edited by Markus_OS; 05-24-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Do any diesel vehicles have ASS?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
Do any diesel vehicles have ASS?
Yes they have. In Germany it is almost a standard equippment in all cars, doesn't matter big or small, gasoline or diesel. Also the brand new Mercedes S-class offer an ASS.

Last edited by Markus_OS; 05-24-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Yes they have. In Germany it is almost a standard equippment in all cars, doesn't matter big or small, gasoline or diesel. Also the brand new Mercedes S-class offer an ASS.
Thanks for the info.

No problems with ASS on diesel in cold weather? Does it function very smoothly?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

No problems with ASS on diesel in cold weather? Does it function very smoothly?
Well, I can say for my current car, a VW Passat TDI, it is really very smooth. The VW "ASS" system operates until the freezing point, below that it turns off automatically to keep the heating alive. But I turn it off sometimes by myself as well, when I stuck in a traffic jam for instance and the traffic moves forward just "inch by inch".
In a month we get my wifes car, a 1er with gas engine, We will see how it works in this car.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lip11 View Post
Yeah, but to many people, Obama is to be blamed for everything regardless of facts.
Lol. I'm not a "Republican" or "Democrat" as I think Politics and how people associate so strongly with one "side" is insanely stupid (sorry) and exploits humanities desire to not think for themselves but follow a herd.

But, yeah, it's funny how about every Internet Comment section turns into "Obama did it". It can be about fat babies, or cats that shed to much.... "Obama's fault".

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Well, I can say for my current car, a VW Passat TDI, it is really very smooth. The VW "ASS" system operates until the freezing point, below that it turns off automatically to keep the heating alive. But I turn it off sometimes by myself as well, when I stuck in a traffic jam for instance and the traffic moves forward just "inch by inch".
In a month we get my wifes car, a 1er with gas engine, We will see how it works in this car.
Nice - thanks. I wonder if one day we shall see ASS that is adaptive. If the adaptive system detects "inch by inch" traffic, it shuts off the ASS. Could be done. We do have adaptive cruise control and the like already.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Nice - thanks. I wonder if one day we shall see ASS that is adaptive. If the adaptive system detects "inch by inch" traffic, it shuts off the ASS. Could be done. We do have adaptive cruise control and the like already.