Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-15-2013, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 2.8; 2013 740 i
Just a curiosity:

Is there even a small percentage of drivers that actually prefer the seemingly dreaded run flats? Not necessary to delineate here any of the complaints......the amount of energy BMW drivers have expended trying to be "heard." There is of course the usual "safety" argument position on the plus side of the RFT discussion. The "safety" argument, if researched, is far from universally agreed upon.

So, I respectfully ask, why is this fine company so obstinate, so "stuck?" We all know the "non choice," non "opt out" of RFT has been slowly expanded throughout the entire BMW product line. The only vehicle remaining without RFT is the base Mini with the standard 15" tires.

Correct me please........I believe RFT to be the deal breaker for a more than a tiny percentage of drivers when shopping for a new vehicle. Could BMW expand their base by offering up a choice? Reminds me of the "Bangle years." The company took tremendous heat throughout Chris Bangle's run. Instead of acknowledging a design error, the company expanded his influence throughout much of the line. Obstinate? Stuck? Smug?

Needless to say, we love these vehicles. I have two of them (which equals eight RFT). What am I missing?
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
Just a curiosity:

Does it have to do with the cost saving on a spare rim? Honestly where the car is for my wife, I like that I do not need to worry as much as I hope/think she can get home if she has a tire issue.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 05-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThinkingGuy View Post
Needless to say, we love these vehicles. I have two of them (which equals eight RFT). What am I missing?
Where would you propose BMW to mount a spare tire and the jack for the non RFT Package?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 M Sport
I have owned my new 328 M Sport for a couple months, and this generation of Perrilli P7 Run Flats have a nice ride and handling feel. We have some pretty nasty roads here in Upstate N.Y., and my Bimmer is handling them well. I have about 5K miles on them so far.

Its gotta be all this BMW EfficientDynamics stuff with weight; every pound counts these days. I will replace with same if the mileage is as good as the performance.
__________________________________________________ ________________
2013 Estoril Blue II 328i M Sport
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04297.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	376599   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04391.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	376600   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04393.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	376601   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04390.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	376602  
Old 05-15-2013, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
I dont think there is only "one" answer on the whole RFT thing, more I think it is a combination of factors:
1) The weight and space cost of lugging around a spare tire motivates BMW to get rid of it
2) Culturally speaking, how many of "typical" BMW owners (not us religious types in the forums) actually change their tire? More often than not, they push the little button on their console and a person magically appears to repair the tire.
3) Those of us left over from #2 that actually do change our own tire, etc "probably" dont need a spare, as we pay close enough attention to our car's health to see a puncture before its a flat, and get to the shop. I know in the 11 years I had my e46, my spare was needed once for about 10 miles when I had a valve stem failure.
4) While I agree that early RFT technology was immature and had weaknesses, I think that they are improving over time. Those issues early-on probably put some into that "deal breaker" rut without looking at how it has advance. Piling onto that, you will always see reports of dissatisfied experiences, but people with good experiences are far less vocal, this gives folks a negative bias and they jump on the bandwagon too.

Finally, people are just flat resistant to change sometimes! The thought of having no spare in place of a sacrificial tire is downright uncomfortable.

In the end it is a personal decision. Personally I didnt think twice about RFT's on my X3 when I got it. I haven't noticed any real performance issues for me, so it's still not something on my mind in the slightest.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:40 AM
just some random guy

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
Finally, people are just flat resistant to change sometimes!
I see what you did there...
Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Just one question for all the runflat haters out there, how much is your safety worth?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I love runflats .. now that I am "old" . I don't want to change those heavy wheels in Boston traffic with super narrow arteries.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Thank you for sharing. I have not had any issues with either of my vehicles. I do read the posts on this forum, as well as the 7 forum. I would have to say that if the RFT is NOT an issue, it feels as though it's been made an issue. Glad to hear that most are peased.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Pleased! Sorry.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThinkingGuy View Post

So, I respectfully ask, why is this fine company so obstinate, so "stuck?" We all know the "non choice," non "opt out" of RFT has been slowly expanded throughout the entire BMW product line. The only vehicle remaining without RFT is the base Mini with the standard 15" tires.

I believe the BMW M cars do not come with runflats as well.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
I see what you did there...
Happy accident
Old 05-15-2013, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Personally I am pretty happy with the Michelin's on my 335i, the issue is that BMW always goes for the cheapest option, so you get the worst runflats usually stock. As for my X3, when the wife and kids are all in the car, I would rather have them be able to drive home safely instead of being stuck in a dangerous situation at the side of the road waiting for someone to show up and change the tire. In the rare instances where the runflat totally fails, then it is about the same and they are stuck at the side of the road until someone comes to change the tire or tow the vehicle.

I also find on the X vehicles it is not as much of a difference than the more performance oriented cars and would rather benefit from the additional safety. Ultimately, it would be nice if you could have both - X5 has a spare tire option if you don't get 3rd row seating, but X3 does not.

I do find this interesting though - in the online manual for the 2013 X3, the section for wheels and tires shows the proper inflation and driving info for the compact spare, so either it is available somehow in some markets, maybe they can fit it in the storage area int he rear, or it is a typo

Compact wheel:
T 135/80 R 18 104
M
Speed up to a max. of
50 mph / 80
Old 05-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
BMW tries to minimise the number of tire permutations for the North American market. Non-RF tires are standard on almost every BMW sold overseas (including the X3) for the smaller wheel sizes.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
This is my first experience with RFTs. Perhaps it's the new generation of tires but I can't tell the difference. The ride is comfortable and quiet. My M5 doesn't have a spare, jack, or RFT's. They did provide an 800 number to call.

It's not a concern around town but on trips to remote locations, the RFTs do provide a higher level of confidence.

Basically I don't have a problem with them.
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport
Old 05-17-2013, 06:56 AM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
They are OK. I can live with them, but I noticed a HUGE difference in ride and handling when I replaced the RFT's on my 325 with a performance tire. I'll be doing the same with the 335 once I wear them down, probably PSS. As far as feeling more secure on long trips; I was more fearful with the RFT's that if I had a blowout on a roadtrip, finding a replacement tire could be an issue. I toyed with the idea of running a spare, but the tow package that comes with my insurance will cover me even if I have to get the car home from Las Vegas! (almost 200 miles!)
Old 05-17-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
They are OK. I can live with them, but I noticed a HUGE difference in ride and handling when I replaced the RFT's on my 325 with a performance tire. I'll be doing the same with the 335 once I wear them down, probably PSS. As far as feeling more secure on long trips; I was more fearful with the RFT's that if I had a blowout on a roadtrip, finding a replacement tire could be an issue. I toyed with the idea of running a spare, but the tow package that comes with my insurance will cover me even if I have to get the car home from Las Vegas! (almost 200 miles!)
The runflat on your 325 is probably the 1st generation runflats, they were horrible. The newer generation have gotten better. The difference in ride comfort is more prononce when its a low profile tire, the 18" runflat on the X3 is quite comfortable. Performance wise, of course non-runflat have more choices, but if both tires are the same and one is a runflat and the other a regular tire, the performance should be similar. If I have a blow out on the highway, the runflats can save your life.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 AM
puppet master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The runflat on your 325 is probably the 1st generation runflats, they were horrible. The newer generation have gotten better. The difference in ride comfort is more prononce when its a low profile tire, the 18" runflat on the X3 is quite comfortable. Performance wise, of course non-runflat have more choices, but if both tires are the same and one is a runflat and the other a regular tire, the performance should be similar. If I have a blow out on the highway, the runflats can save your life.
Yes, but my 335 has the newer Michelins, which are better, but I'll still change to PSS when they wear out.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I've had them on the X3 for a year now and the performance and comfort of them has been fine. The safety aspect is nice too particularly if you have blowout at highway speed (far more controllable than a regular tire). We all benefit from the weight reduction too of hauling around a spare all of the time.

The downside, of course, is the cost. Two months after we got the car, we picked up a screw in the road and permanently damaged the tire. There went $425. If I had to do it over again, I would reconsider the tire insurance package.

Oh, yeah, and it's not just BMW getting rid of the spare, nearly all of the other brands are doing the same thing too. Definitely not just a BMW trend here.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: Jeep GC
I was car shopping this Saturday. I gave the X3 a lot of thought over the weekend, but talked myself out of it, because of the run flats and no spare tire.
I take a lot of long distance trips. My concern was if I got a flat between point A & point B.
What good would road side assistance be if I didn't have a spare?
If my intentions were to only drive the X3 in and close to my home town, I would have probably went with the X3.
Tom
Old 05-21-2013, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X335i
Just a curiosity:

To the OP's question about finding people that prefer RF's, I can't say I prefer them but neither do I dread them.

I had read so much negative that I had some anxiety when I first got my X3. But having driven on them (staggered P-Zero) for 13k miles now, including a BMW CCA car control clinic, my worries seem to have been overblown. Have had no issues.

My guess is that OEM RF's are just going to become more common and more difficult to avoid.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2011 X335i
Old 07-03-2013, 03:50 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
... As far as feeling more secure on long trips; I was more fearful with the RFT's that if I had a blowout on a roadtrip, finding a replacement tire could be an issue.
This is exactly my concern. A RFT failure in a remote location means you have only a 50 mile radius around the point of failure to find a replacement tire. These are expensive tires and the replacement much match the remaining tires. Depending on the amount of remaining tread, it might be necessary to replace both tires on the same axle. Having such a small radius available means you have to buy what ever the local tire store (if there is one) wants to sell you at whatever price they ask. Its a gamble due to the cost of buying a spare, assuming there is a place to put it, but even a compact spare will give sufficient range to be able to make a smart replacement.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
I'm ok with RFT. But I would like spare also. There is no substitute for a spare.
If you think RFT and no spare are questionable my SSR and my buddies CTS has non RF with a can of Slime and a cheap compressor in the trunk. That is a joke.

No spare is a $$$ saver for the mfg. Nothing else. I like the way they blow smoke up our rear ends and tell us it is to get better gas mileage.
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert

Last edited by WHITEX; 07-03-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 AM
puppet master

I thought about getting the space saver spare, but after reading up on it, I'm leaning towards getting a plug kit, and a pump. These would take hardly any room in the trunk, and I could drive the car as far as I need to before getting a proper repair.