Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M1A1 Abrams
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull View Post
Absolute necessity. If there's air in there good chance you'll overheat or run with hot spots at a minimum. Check the wiki for the procedure and follow it verbatim.
Hmm... I'm wondering if its possible that if there is indeed air trapped within the cooling system, those air pockets could be somehow causing the level sensor to "trip" when they come in contact with it...

This would explain why the warning light then goes off from bumps or turning as it would shift the air pocket around.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
That sounds like a low level in the tank but still just could be a sketchy sensor. The system does need a proper bleed after any drain/refill but as a last step in the bleed process make sure the ET is not overfilled because you do need a little pocket of air in the ET when the system pressurizes. All liquid will not compress and either the cap will vent or the weak link pops.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 06-02-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:35 PM

Any good part site should have the tranny t stat listed for your car.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull View Post
Any good part site should have the tranny t stat listed for your car.
Well, the real question is: do I need to remove the ET when performing a water pump replacement? I'm not planning to do the water pump yet but in a year or so.

I don't want to deal with breaking a relatively new AT thermostat if I have to remove the ET again later on down the road.

The only reason that people are recommending to get a replacement is because they usually break when pulling out the ET.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
Well, the real question is: do I need to remove the ET when performing a water pump replacement? I'm not planning to do the water pump yet but in a year or so.

I don't want to deal with breaking a relatively new AT thermostat if I have to remove the ET again later on down the road.

The only reason that people are recommending to get a replacement is because they usually break when pulling out the ET.
The only reason you will need to pull out your ET again is to put in a new ET, your water pump is out of the way. Go ahead and do the thermostat now.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofthelost View Post
the only reason you will need to pull out your et again is to put in a new et, your water pump is out of the way. Go ahead and do the thermostat now.
+1
Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 330ci coupe 5 sp
you have to replace your expansion tank. it you pop the hood and see white dryness around the tank, that means its going bad. remember it is plastic. just be safe and replace your radiator and expansion tank. the worst feeling is being stuck on the side of the rode because of lost of coolant
Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM

I finally tackled this festering project (or projects, since I also needed to also replace a cracked upper air intake boot, and a ruptured transmission cooler line and the cooler itself (I also wanted to replace a cracked tie rod boot, but was too worn out and anxious to get the car in running condition again after the failed transmission line and SES light due to the cracked air intake boot). I also replaced the lower intake air boot while I was in there, and removed, inspected, and cleaned the DISA valve as I've read this could be possible source for unexplained SES light; luckily, mine still looked good and serviceable.

The ET came off surprisingly easy, compared to all the horror stories I've read about. I had no idea where the transmission thermostat fit into and since I didn't break anything, I decided not to waste any more time and didn't utilize the new tranny T-stat. The only hitch I came upon was trying to get the ET seated. I ended up lubricating the two inlets with soap, then with a block of wood atop a hydraulic jack keeping the radiator firmly in place, I pushed down on the ET a couple times with my full weight. Emptied a gallon of BMW antifreeze into the tank, followed by bleeding with distilled water. No leaks and all is good!

The transmission, on the other hand...
Old 06-25-2013, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3, E30 M3
+1 for pressure testing, Ive found multiple leaks this way. Do it cold, to 10 psi so you dont stress the cheap other plastic stuff too much.