Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 05-17-2013, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E36 M3 Sedan
1992 E34 sitting idle for 6 years...ideas reviving it?

Hi All! Im a newbie to Bimmerfest. I need some help with a 1992 E34 525i that has been sitting idle in the garage for more than 6 years.

My uncle is giving the car to me and I'm getting the car transported home to PA from TX. He said he stopped driving it because it needs a new clutch nothing else was wrong with the car.

Now the fun begins...

I've done some research on what to do when a car has been in idle storage for a long time and I found the basic things, but these blogs and article on ehow only talks about car being in storage for over a year. The car I'm getting is been idle for a long long time (6 years).

Basic things to do to get the car in running condions that I found online in general:
New battery
new gasoline
change the oil
new spark plugs
once started and running bring to a good mechanic and get a good tune up.

So I want to know if there are any BMW issues (especially E34) after it has been in storage for a long time, even if its only been idle for more than a year I would appreciate any thougths. Thanks

Alvin
Easton PA
In the garage:
1998 BMW E36 M3 sedan
Soon to be owner of 1992 BMW E34 525i
Ads by Google
Old 05-18-2013, 06:28 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
I doubt you need to change spark plugs, they do not go bad from sitting. I would plan on a set of tires if you intend to make it a driver. Otherwise, change the fluids. You should do a coolant flush, brake fluid flush, power steering flush, any system in the car that has has stagnant fluid in it should be canidate for a flush.

I do not think there is anything model specific. Do the basics, drive it some and see what else it may need.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 05-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
You may want to pull the fuel pump relay and, with a good strong battery, spin the engine over for 20-30 seconds prior to actually trying to start it to build a little oil pressure and try to ensure that everything is coated well with oil before the actual fire up.

Once you have done this, replace the fuel pump relay and try to start it. It may fire right up .... ya' never know.

You also may need the assist of a little starting fluid to get it to fire as well. Fortunately, you don't have the vanos on that engine. They can be noisy on startup even after only sitting for 6 months. The one on my E36 took about 10-15 minutes of easy driving to get it to quiet down.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 05-18-2013, 02:53 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Pretty much everything has been said but just want to add the belts around the alternator/power steering may have changed from rubber to plastic. Also brake fluid will be we'll perished by now

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 PM

Thank you all for the advise. I will get the car reconditioned and tuned up with my mechanic here in PA once I get it started and running again.

It's amazing how the tires are not flat after 6 years of sitting they are just a little low pressure, but I'm sure to change those as well.

I will be sure to check back once I get it here in PA. It will be an interesting project and I will be taking my time bringing it back into shape.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: E34
In addition to the foregoing, I would add that you should go down ready for the standard E34 no-start issues. That would be the fuel pump, its relay, crank sensor, and also the main relay. Only OEM - will set you back around $250 total in parts. You'll need to do them anyway.

The tires would have flat spotted from sitting so long, and 6 year old tires are unsafe to travel on period. Tires can't be older than 5 years no matter their state of threadwear, and I personally don't buy if its older than 4. This is a safety issue so I would budget that in right at the beginning.

There was a car here once which has less than 20k miles. Been sitting around most of the time. It has a faulty transmission ecu, even though the thing was practically new.

This is a not a cheap gift, but hey, its a gift !
Old 05-19-2013, 09:10 PM

Thanks Burbank for the advise. I know it not cheap bringing the 525 back to life. Transport alone is around $1K . I am in search of a driver car so I don't put on too many miles on my M3. So I'm already looking and willing to spend a few Gs for a commuter. Plus my uncle said this one is loaded with upgrades and mods. I'm just not sure what he was talking about. So this will be a nice commuter ride once up and running. I'm in no hurry. I will take my time it also helps me learn more about the car and DIY reparis.

Thanks again. I will check back what happens to the car.

Alvin
Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 AM

I thought about that for a quick minute. But the risk of something breaking down in the middle of nowhere...Granted I have AAA but it would be way too expensive to bring back home if it broke down midway. I checked out shipping from TX to PA quotes came back from $600 to $1000. I don't know if I should choose the cheapest one. Haven't done all the research on the companies yet.

Any thoughts which one to go with???

BTW: I drove my 1998 E36 M3 when I bought it last year from Los Angeles, CA to PA. That was so much fun. Even with the good running car, even had a PMI done, it was a total act of faith to drive and risking a break down. Everyone I know told me to ship it but It was an adventure of a lifetime opportunity. Driving a fast car on open road.... I started my journey to make a quick stop at vegas and my check engine light came on in the middle of the desert....SCARYYYY. So I had to stop by a Vegas BMW dealer to have it checked out. Luckily it was just an O2 sensor so I made it home in 3 days.

I ended up spending more driving it back than if I had shipped it but for that drive with me and my M3 was worth it.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Humble E34 lover

^^^ Nice road trip story

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 E34 Twin Turbo
Mine has been sitting on a lift, in the air, under a cover since 2006. I put the battery charger on it overnight, put a mix of 93 and some straight ethanol + a can of injector cleaner and turned the key. Runs and idles great and she's a twin turbo.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:11 PM

Hi All just wanted to give and update... I flew to TX this past weekend with fingers crossed that the car would not give me too much problems. I followed some of the advise form here and thank you very much ALL.

I was working in tight area in the garage. I saw one of the tire was completely flat. So did not have a chance to roll it out of the garage. Got the new battery put it in and with limited tools at hand, I looked at the oil and it was not gunky or hard (its TX weather so it not likely to harden) then I decided to remove the fuel relay pump and give it a crank. It sounded like it was never put to sleep at all. I cranked a few time to get the oil going. Replaced the relay pump, with a few more cranks.... EUREKA!!! It sounded like it was never put to sleep for a long time.

I hope the pictures come out...

Took it for a bath...

HELLO ^_^

I think I could have driven the car back to PA if I had more time...but it's better get it transported.

Thanks to all the advise.

Alvin
Old 06-03-2013, 06:21 PM
545i pilot

Mein Auto: e60 545i e34 540 e32 740
Re: 1992 E34 sitting idle for 6 years...ideas reviving it?

Sweet! Glad things worked out that well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Humble E34 lover

I had a feeling that the car would fire up without much difficulty.

That's one sweet car you got there. Can't beat the price

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 06-04-2013, 12:08 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
have tidied up this thread for you, I do apologise for a banned member trolling here.

looks like a good car you have there

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014