Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: GMC Envoy
Trailer Towing

I am looking at a BMW X3 35i to replace my current GMC Envoy. I have a Tent Trailer that has a Gross weight of 3000 lbs and I have been advised by the BMW Dealer that the X3 is rated to tow 3500 lbs. However, the vehicle does not come with a factory installed tow hitch (only and after market hitch installed by the dealer is available) and even with a dealer installed hitch they do not wire in the trailer brakes (eg they only provide a 4-pin connector rather than the 7-pin connector needed for trailer brakes) and they do not provide any additional transmission cooling.

I am curious if anyone on the forum is using an X3 for towing at weights in the 2500 to 3000 lbs range and if so have they experienced any issues when operating in hot temperatures (30 to 40°C) (86 -104 °F) without an additional transmission cooler. Have there been any other issues with the X3 related to using it as tow vehicle?
Ads by Google
Old 05-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
The BMW hitch that the dealer installer for me has both the 4 pin and 7 pin connector. I've pulled a 5 x 8 trailer loaded down several tires with my 2011 28 with no issues. Although it didn't weigh 3,000 lbs.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Yep I have the BMW hitch, dealer installed and has both 4 and 7 pin plugs.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
i too have a dealer installed hitch on my '11 35i. 4 and 7 pin plugs also. cool feature is the hitch ball zoom function when backing up to the trailer.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335i
lol no way im hauling anything with my bmw
Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
to each his own, sir.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:48 PM

Mostly I haul ass - but sometimes other stuff too!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in NC View Post
The BMW hitch that the dealer installer for me has both the 4 pin and 7 pin connector. I've pulled a 5 x 8 trailer loaded down several tires with my 2011 28 with no issues. Although it didn't weigh 3,000 lbs.
Thanks to all for your comments. I have found a dealer who installs the 7-pin connector with the trailer hitch so I am good to go. The only other issue is whether or not the vehicle needs any additional transmission cooling for trailering in hot weather?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjrmann View Post
i too have a dealer installed hitch on my '11 35i. 4 and 7 pin plugs also. cool feature is the hitch ball zoom function when backing up to the trailer.
Thanks to all for your comments. I have found a dealer who installs the 7-pin connector with the trailer hitch so I am good to go. The dealer I talked with today also mentioned this feature.

The only other issue is whether or not the vehicle needs any additional transmission cooling for trailering in hot weather?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
I'm pretty sure an additional cooler is not required. The funny thing is, while in North America we have a 3500 lb towing capacity, the exact same vehicle in europe has a 2400 kg (5280 lb) towing capacity.... I think you're good with a tent trailer.

See the global brochure page 60:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ue/index2.html
Old 05-21-2013, 03:34 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Re: Trailer Towing

Having the tranny cooler is always nice to help keep wear on it down, but a tent trailer if light and has almost no aerodynamic drag so it certainly isn't necessary. Have fun.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 05-21-2013, 03:55 PM

Well the good news is that my 2011 X5 35i and my 2014 X3 35i both the have same ZP 8HP transmission and I had no issues trailer several thousand pounds with the X5 many times and the X5 is already 800 lbs heavier than the X3, so my X3 and 5x8 landscape trailer weight about the same as the X5, so not really stressing the transmission on the X3 more than the X5 does every day without a trailer!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post
I'm pretty sure an additional cooler is not required. The funny thing is, while in North America we have a 3500 lb towing capacity, the exact same vehicle in europe has a 2400 kg (5280 lb) towing capacity.... I think you're good with a tent trailer.

Thanks for the brochure it sure is detailed. I'm certain there are some reasons for the difference in ratings but it seems like I do not have anything to worry about.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post

This is really good news. This international brochure is sure detailed. I'm certain there are probably some very good reasons for derating the towing capacity of the vehicle in N.A. but it would appear that I probably do not have anything to worry about.

Thanks again
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
The difference between the international tow rating and the North American tow rating is related to the different hitches. The tow rating specified by BMW North America is based on the use of the particular hitch that BMWNA chose to re-brand as their dealer hitch. (BMWNA does not tow rate the vehicle independent of their particular dealer hitch.... they only issue a tow rating for the use of their specific vehicle/hitch pairing).

Clearly, the vehicle is capable of more, as evidenced by the international tow rating of over 5,000 lbs. The international hitches are substantially better hitches than the cheaper NA dealer hitch. Our bringing one of the international hitches over to the U.S. market is the key reason that we are able to offer the only Class III hitch for the X3 in North America (over 5,000 lbs tow rating).

The X3 is actually a fairly stout tow vehicle when equipped with a proper hitch, the oem wiring harness, and trailer brakes when towing heavy.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
The difference between the international tow rating and the North American tow rating is related to the different hitches. The tow rating specified by BMW North America is based on the use of the particular hitch that BMWNA chose to re-brand as their dealer hitch. (BMWNA does not tow rate the vehicle independent of their particular dealer hitch.... they only issue a tow rating for the use of their specific vehicle/hitch pairing).

Clearly, the vehicle is capable of more, as evidenced by the international tow rating of over 5,000 lbs. The international hitches are substantially better hitches than the cheaper NA dealer hitch. Our bringing one of the international hitches over to the U.S. market is the key reason that we are able to offer the only Class III hitch for the X3 in North America (over 5,000 lbs tow rating).

The X3 is actually a fairly stout tow vehicle when equipped with a proper hitch, the oem wiring harness, and trailer brakes when towing heavy.
Nice to know. Thanks for your help.