Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-18-2013, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: X3 si
***Update Damage Caused by Paintless Dent Repair ***

First of all, thank you all for the valuable advices and being supportive.

I came to the PDR shop this morning, I showed him what I found, he was surprised. He agrees that the scratches are deep and can not be easily restored. Also he agrees the locations of those scratches match the place where the PDR was performed,especially the Front right where the PDR wasn't applied is intact. He used the plastic cover/protector rubbing against the window glass trying to reproduce the starches. It did generate some minor marks but definitely not deep. He said he doesn't think he did it but looks like he did it. He would pay for to have them replaced and he wants me to get a quote. And he said sorry.

Since he is nice, I don't want to abuse a good will and I want to save him some money. I visited both the BMW and the Safelite. Here is what I got. BMW: parts+labor= 423+770= $1193 Safelite: No OEM parts and would rather not to take the risk to trigger the airbag.

The whole morning 8:00am-1:00pm I didn't go to the lab where I supposed to be. I just want get the problem solved or at least settled asap. So I came back to them at noon. Their attitude sort of changed, he and the other employee kept on saying " I don't see how it happened " and meanwhile using the plastic board rubbing against the window very hard, the car was shaken. I have been really nice and I paid them good money to fix the dents and why do I have to spend additional time and energy to go through this. At that time I really want say" that's enough!! Pay me the money and f**k off my car. The owner had a copy of the quote and told me "ok, he will call the BMW and will call me back, if he didn't call me after two days, I can call him."

I said, if you agree to replace the windows why not we draft an agreement so that will be easier for both of us. He said " you don't trust me, let's make it a man to man word".
I said: I don't want the next day, I ask you to replace 4 windows but not 3". He said he believe I won't.

I said, after I spend the whole morning, although I trust him, but I prefer to have something I can touch, I can hold in my hand, someone else can read it and I believe this also how the society works.

He hesitated for a second, said, I will write you something. And here is what I got:

XXX will replace the window glass on the BMW X3 belonging to XXX , glass on the left front door, left rear door and right rear door only. Then I schedule an appointment with BMW in front of him and he also talked to the service advisor to send him the bill. So most likely I will get the window replaced this Thursday.

One more question I'm thinking to replace the window lifter/regulator I heard it is susceptible(at least the Front driver side the one used the most) and of course the money will come out from my pocket. The regular all work well now, is it necessary?

Thanks for reading

Peter

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for reading my post. Right now I'm feeling very upset, helpless and I really need your suggestions. Three days ago I went for a Paintless Dent Repair to fix couple of door dents. The owner of the shop seems to be a nice person and his local business opened since 1992. For " paintless dent repair" basically they roll down the side window and use a metal rods to slide into the gap (where the glass window was) to push the dents out from the inside of the body panel. It costs $260 to repair a total 4 dents on 3 doors (Left Front, Left Rear, Right Rear). Last night, I noticed there were a lot of deep scratches on the glass which dent repair was applied. Nothing happened on the glass (Right Front) that the dent repair wasn't applied. I stopped by the glass shop "Safelite glass" they told me there is nothing they can do other then replace the glass and it costs $816. I haven't got a chance to talk to the dent repair shop owner as they close during the weekend. I really don't know what to do. Any suggestion are highly appreciated. Please help.

The images are Left Front, Right Rear, Left Rear and the Right front (intact). The average length of the scratch is 4 inches.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5181957.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	377177   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5181964.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	377178   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5181962.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	377179   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5181968.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	377180  

Last edited by motifrs; 05-20-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifrs View Post
Three days ago I went for a Paintless Dent Repair to fix couple of door dents.

You are: SCREWED!

Generally you must notice & claim damage before you leave the premises.

Hey, good luck with that guy - if he's secure in his business and this rarely happens, may pop for an insurance claim. Let us know!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325
Re: ** Damage Caused by Paintless Dent Repair **

Talk to your insurance company as soon as you can. My policy has a zero dollar deductable for comprehensive coverage, which includes any and all glass damage or breakage. Even if I caused the damage. My agent, who has always been straight-forward with me calls it " idiot insurance " lol. I knew then I had to have it..... Best of luck to you

1987 325e automatic sedan
Old 05-18-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenbmw View Post
Talk to your insurance company as soon as you can. My policy has a zero dollar deductable for comprehensive coverage, which includes any and all glass damage or breakage. Even if I caused the damage. My agent, who has always been straight-forward with me calls it " idiot insurance " lol. I knew then I had to have it..... Best of luck to you

Unfortunately I don't have a full cover insurance.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Man, that guy wasn't very professionally trained. Most PDR go through the side of the door.

Last edited by thekurgan; 05-18-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Man, that guy wasn't very professionally trained. Most PDR go through the side of the door.
Most likely the window were scratched by the metal rod which was used to push the dent back . The scratches are deep. I can definitely feel them with finger nail.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325
Re: ** Damage Caused by Paintless Dent Repair **

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
I think you called it....

Old 05-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:

you are so strait forward Sir! It makes me Honry
Old 05-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
you are so strait forward Sir! It makes me Honry
Huh?

straight

honry isn't even a word ... come on guys, spell check become optional on computers, phones and tablets???

Old 05-18-2013, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for reading my post. Right now I'm feeling very upset, helpless and I really need your suggestions. Three days ago I went for a Paintless Dent Repair to fix couple of door dents. The owner of the shop seems to be a nice person and his local business opened since 1992. For " paintless dent repair" basically they roll down the side window and use a metal rods to slide into the gap (where the glass window was) to push the dents out from the inside of the body panel. It costs $260 to repair a total 4 dents on 3 doors (Left Front, Left Rear, Right Rear). Last night, I noticed there were a lot of deep scratches on the glass which dent repair was applied. Nothing happened on the glass (Right Front) that the dent repair wasn't applied. I stopped by the glass shop "Safelite glass" they told me there is nothing they can do other then replace the glass and it costs $816. I haven't got a chance to talk to the dent repair shop owner as they close during the weekend. I really don't know what to do. Any suggestion are highly appreciated. Please help.

The images are Left Front, Right Rear, Left Rear and the Right front (intact). The average length of the scratch is 4 inches.

Thanks
I think your best bet is to get back to that shop asap, be cool, and discuss it professionally with the owner. Hopefully, he will be reasonable and work with you to make right. As others have stated, it's just tough because you didn't notice before you left the shop. If you get the feeling he is not going to be too accommodating, perhaps you shoot for 50/50.

Good luck and report back.

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint
Old 05-18-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk03 View Post
I think your best bet is to get back to that shop asap, be cool, and discuss it professionally with the owner. Hopefully, he will be reasonable and work with you to make right. As others have stated, it's just tough because you didn't notice before you left the shop. If you get the feeling he is not going to be too accommodating, perhaps you shoot for 50/50.

Good luck and report back.
Thanks a lot for your reply, very helpful. I will keep you guys informed.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:

Hey, good luck with that guy - if he's secure in his business and this rarely happens, may pop for an insurance claim. Let us know!
Agreee... this should have been thoroughly checked before you paid the guy

Silence is agreeing
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 05-18-2013, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335Xi, 2013 X1
Luck is on your side. The business owner knows how anal you are with regards to your car or you would never have taken your business to him.

Here is the real question. How much did he charge you? Chances are it was less than the 800, which is the cost to replace them.

In which case he may be a lot more unwilling to replace the glass and may opt for you to have the glass repaired.

You can refinish glass with compound.

If you do not get the level or service you expected then you can always take him to your local small claims court. For $15 you do not even have to prove he did the damage. Just tell the judge how it is. Chances are it goes to a mediator first and you both don't even have to do a dance to get to the best solution.

Last edited by Leekay07; 05-18-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:36 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
when working at various dealerships as a technician, i was able to watch several pdr guys work their craft. in cases where they would go through the top of the door via the window channel, a sheet of cardboard would be taped to the glass to reduce the potential for scratching the surface.

that being said, i have seen windows in much worse condition get recovered by the detail department.

i wish you the best with the resolution.

df
Old 05-18-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Someone didn't tape a hard plastic sheet (similar to a cellphone screensaver) to the window when he slid the steel rods down the gap. The tech knew he did it as soon as he put the windows back up. How could you have not noticed?
Seems like you have a solid case. I hope the owner is a stand up guy and makes you whole. If not, then you can sue in small claims court, but I would definitely send a certified letter to PDR hq asking for help first.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
when the guy did mine... he taped the glass prior to poking inside the door
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Someone didn't tape a hard plastic sheet (similar to a cellphone screensaver) to the window when he slid the steel rods down the gap. The tech knew he did it as soon as he put the windows back up. How could you have not noticed?
Seems like you have a solid case. I hope the owner is a stand up guy and makes you whole. If not, then you can sue in small claims court, but I would definitely send a certified letter to PDR hq asking for help first.
Many thanks for your reply and being supportive. Sometimes things happened and at the very first moment I saw this at Friday night, literately I don't know what to do. My brain was just blank and could not provide me an answer. I am really not good at dealing with stuff like this. Sometimes I would rather loose some money other then auguring however this time seems they totally messed up the car.

Actually the job was done by the owner himself. I was there during the repair process. He behaved very kind that made me totally trusted him. After the work done the windows were just kept all the way down. All my attention was on the car body where the dent repair was applied. I even never thought about the window class was damaged.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leekay07 View Post
Luck is on your side. The business owner knows how anal you are with regards to your car or you would never have taken your business to him.

Here is the real question. How much did he charge you? Chances are it was less than the 800, which is the cost to replace them.

In which case he may be a lot more unwilling to replace the glass and may opt for you to have the glass repaired.

You can refinish glass with compound.

If you do not get the level or service you expected then you can always take him to your local small claims court. For $15 you do not even have to prove he did the damage. Just tell the judge how it is. Chances are it goes to a mediator first and you both don't even have to do a dance to get to the best solution.
Many thanks for your reply and being supportive. Sometimes things happened and at the very first moment I saw this at Friday night, literately I don't know what to do. My brain was just blank and could not provide me an answer. I am really not good at dealing with stuff like this. Sometimes I would rather loose some money other then auguring however this time seems they totally messed up the car.

Actually the job was done by the owner himself. I was there during the repair process. He behaved very kind that made me totally trusted him. After the work done the windows were just kept all the way down. All my attention was on the car body where the dent repair was applied. I even never thought about the window class was damaged.

Last edited by motifrs; 05-18-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 AM

Let's assume the business owner just made a mistake. It is very possible one of his bars had a burr on it, he was totally unaware of the problem, and it tore your glass up. I don't think he can argue with the marks being on 3 of 4 windows.
Go in, be nice, show him what you found, and assume he will fix it. Ask him what he will do to get rid of the scratches and hear his response. If he doesn't agree that the problem is his then we can advise you on where to go from there.
BTW, was he the one who put the windows down in the first place? That would really be in your favor because then he should have brought the (pre-existing) scratches to your attention. Since he didn't he can hardly argue that they were there from the start.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Let's assume the business owner just made a mistake. It is very possible one of his bars had a burr on it, he was totally unaware of the problem, and it tore your glass up. I don't think he can argue with the marks being on 3 of 4 windows.
Go in, be nice, show him what you found, and assume he will fix it. Ask him what he will do to get rid of the scratches and hear his response. If he doesn't agree that the problem is his then we can advise you on where to go from there.
BTW, was he the one who put the windows down in the first place? That would really be in your favor because then he should have brought the (pre-existing) scratches to your attention. Since he didn't he can hardly argue that they were there from the start.
Thanks again, I feel much better after reading several replies that stand up for me. Yes I do worry about how to talk to the owner and how he would response. The second time I am going into that shop, I am not the "welcomed customer" anymore.

I'm a student in graduate school, when facing the owner and his employees, hoping it's not a hostage situation for me. Let's see what's going to happen tomorrow. We have student legal service in the school and it includes the " Consumer Protection " but not sure to what extend they could help me.

Yes he is the person who rolled the window all the way down because I have no idea how he is going to repair the dent so I just let him handle everything.

For the whole thing that made me feel the most uncomfortable is I was going to fix some minor " aesthetic " problem and they are well paid to do the job. However, they messed up and made it much worse and in turn I have to spend addition time and energy to protect my property.

Thanks again for your reply and being supportive.

Last edited by motifrs; 05-19-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks
If the guy is an upstanding business man, he will take care of it. If not, small claims court will do the trick. The neglectful nature of the work is obvious and they would surely have shown it to you in advance if it had been there before their work.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
** Damage Caused by Paintless Dent Repair **

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post
If the guy is an upstanding business man, he will take care of it. If not, small claims court will do the trick. The neglectful nature of the work is obvious and they would surely have shown it to you in advance if it had been there before their work.
There is going to be an argument that, he may did this damage at his home, or did not report it upon receiving the vehicle.
I would love to see how will this turn out if the Judge is Judge Judy :P

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-19-2013, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335Xi, 2013 X1
You don't have to prove beyond any doubt it was caused by the defendant. You just have to give your case and they give a response. The fact the window was rolled down when the car was returned to the owner in it self will be more than enough in a small claim court.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
He probably kept the windows rolled down because he saw that the windows were scratched and didnt want the OP to see it right there

1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 05-20-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks again, I feel much better after reading several replies that stand up for me. Yes I do worry about how to talk to the owner and how he would response. The second time I am going into that shop, I am not the "welcomed customer" anymore.

I'm a student in graduate school, when facing the owner and his employees, hoping it's not a hostage situation for me. Let's see what's going to happen tomorrow. We have student legal service in the school and it includes the " Consumer Protection " but not sure to what extend they could help me.

Yes he is the person who rolled the window all the way down because I have no idea how he is going to repair the dent so I just let him handle everything.

For the whole thing that made me feel the most uncomfortable is I was going to fix some minor " aesthetic " problem and they are well paid to do the job. However, they messed up and made it much worse and in turn I have to spend addition time and energy to protect my property.

Thanks again for your reply and being supportive.
Yup, life is like that sometimes. In the grand scheme of things it's a minor annoyance, but in our day-to-day life it assumes bigger proportions.