Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 05-18-2013, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: '95 740i
Radio problems

1995 (E38) BMW 740i with Premium Sound option and DSP. C23/MID US Tapedeck

Tape deck radio, MID, everything's stock. The radio works on/off randomly. Sometimes on start up it'll work and then once I park again, next time it won't work. More often than not it does NOT work.

Where would I start? What should I look for/at?

When it works, it works well. All stations will work, signal's fine.
When it doesn't work, the scanner will just cycle through all radio stations indefinitely without ever stopping on one. I can select a station and I still will hear no sound.

The amp was replaced with an Alpine MRP-T220 prior to me purchasing the vehicle last week.
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
Does the CD player work when this happens?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
Does the CD player work when this happens?
Damn, I was trying to figure this out before I posted the question since I knew someone was going to ask haha...

I'm not sure to be honest. I haven't tested it.

I removed the stereo, unplugged it from the vehicle, took it inside and inspected the inside for any obvious damage (none). Replaced the unit back into the car, last two start ups (hours apart) the radio has turned it. I'll keep everyone informed. Hopefully it may had just been a loose antenna connector?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Antenna makes sense but never seen one come and go like that. Q has some great graphics on the antenna setup but I have no access to my bookmarks.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
Antenna makes sense but never seen one come and go like that. Q has some great graphics on the antenna setup but I have no access to my bookmarks.
Okay well please get back to me if you can get ahold of your bookmarks. Thank you for the quick replies.

I've searched and searched for solutions but only 1 real reply seemed to hold any potential. Someone said that they had a semi-similar problem as to what the OP was stating (which is close to mine) and he said it was a loose surface resistor on the cassette deck. I couldn't see anything loose on mine.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:05 PM

Here is what I have. Hopefully it's already fixed!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-advice-please

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ions-on-an-E38

Edit: Sorry these are from another forum that I have been a member of for some time. There are probably great links here as well but I have not been here long enough to have any marked yet for the antenna.

Last edited by Mayorchuck; 05-19-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW E38 740il
may be an a bad ignition switch. when you get in your car, wiggle the keys back and fourth until the radio turns on. my car had the same problem. I fixed it like that surprisingly.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: Auto
I am also having this proboem...my radio will turn off and 0n but it will suddenly stop working, except the radio light by the on off knob will stay illuminated. Any info would be appreciated..
Old 05-25-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah.fadum View Post
I am also having this proboem...my radio will turn off and 0n but it will suddenly stop working, except the radio light by the on off knob will stay illuminated. Any info would be appreciated..

What year is your car? When this happens, check to see if you get sound from the CD player.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:47 PM
fatcat

Mein Auto: 128i
My 2008 128i had intermittent sound problems. When car turned on, everything lit up but no sound. When I turned the radio off and back on again it worked - now it doesn't any more. No radio sound stuck on AM band, can't go to FM, can't go to CD can go to telephone but no sound.
Any suggestions???
Old 07-20-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat46 View Post
My 2008 128i had intermittent sound problems. When car turned on, everything lit up but no sound. When I turned the radio off and back on again it worked - now it doesn't any more. No radio sound stuck on AM band, can't go to FM, can't go to CD can go to telephone but no sound.
Any suggestions???
I would have no clue. Is that an E82 maybe. Best to try in the proper forum.