Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-19-2013, 07:52 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Mustang & 3-series RWD in snowy Ohio

I'm considering these cars and live in the NE Ohio snow belt. Some here have told me I'm nuts to consider any RWD car here. Others have said the 3er w/ rwd is ok but the Mustang is not (assume both have snow tires).

What is true? Or most true?

If the BMW is safer in snowy conditions than the Mustang (again, assume both have snow tires), why is that? Is it Traction control? solid rear axel on the Mustang? None of the above?

Thanks!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: Mustang
I can kinda help with an answer. I've owned two Mustangs, and now own a 335i. When it snows here I'm using my front wheel drive, not my Mustang. I can't imagine that it will be any different with the 335i. And though here in the foothills of upstate SC we don't have the snow you do, we have ice (and hills).
Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 PM
BMW CCA Member

Thanks-just wondering if one rwd is better than another these days in terms of handling snow/ice conditions assuming both have snow tires. I currently drive a fwd car w /snow tires in the winter and do very well w/ that combo myself.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Mustangs, like many older American RWD cars, are front-heavy. This gives less traction on the driven wheels.
BMWs have 50-50 weight distribution, which gives somewhat more traction on the driven wheels.

Still not the greatest though. Get some snow tires for it and it'll do well in most everything snowy except long hills.

EDIT: I also owned a couple of mustangs in years past. Those things sucked big time in snow (without snow tires, to be fair).

Old 05-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Big Matty Wheels

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i, 01 Allroad
Weight distribution, and good traction control will make the BMW better than a mustang and everyone sings praised of the E9x with snow tires. Hopefully I can give a review myself this winter.

2006 BMW 330i Black
Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 AM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Mustangs, like many older American RWD cars, are front-heavy. This gives less traction on the driven wheels.
BMWs have 50-50 weight distribution, which gives somewhat more traction on the driven wheels.

Still not the greatest though. Get some snow tires for it and it'll do well in most everything snowy except long hills.

EDIT: I also owned a couple of mustangs in years past. Those things sucked big time in snow (without snow tires, to be fair).
Thx! Very helpful and makes sense. How about a 1-series w/ snow tires vs a 3-series w snows? I'm guessing very similar?

Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
The latest generation of Mustangs, the S-197, has traction control and a near 50/50 weight distribution, especially the V6 model. Unless you are considering a 2007-2010 Shelby 500 the weight distribution of the Mustang is going to be on par with the BMW.

The rigid rear axle will make little difference in the snow but will have other deficiencies, such as poorer handling in corners over broken pavement, although all the reviewers have said that the Mustang has the best solid rear axle suspension extent and have praised the over all handling of the Mustang, especially the GT and the Boss 302.

I have a 2006 325i and have not driven it in the snow yet. My next car is going to be a Mustang GT or a Boss 302 but to be honest I won't be driving either my Bimmer or my Mustang in snow very often.

That said with snow tires either one would be fairly capable in the snow so long as you have snow tires and don't have to climb steep hills very often.

I have a front wheel drive car that I put snow tires on in the winter and since I live in flat Indianapolis I have no problem at all getting around in the snow.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:49 AM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
The latest generation of Mustangs, the S-197, has traction control and a near 50/50 weight distribution, especially the V6 model. Unless you are considering a 2007-2010 Shelby 500 the weight distribution of the Mustang is going to be on par with the BMW.

The rigid rear axle will make little difference in the snow but will have other deficiencies, such as poorer handling in corners over broken pavement, although all the reviewers have said that the Mustang has the best solid rear axle suspension extent and have praised the over all handling of the Mustang, especially the GT and the Boss 302.

I have a 2006 325i and have not driven it in the snow yet. My next car is going to be a Mustang GT or a Boss 302 but to be honest I won't be driving either my Bimmer or my Mustang in snow very often.

That said with snow tires either one would be fairly capable in the snow so long as you have snow tires and don't have to climb steep hills very often.

I have a front wheel drive car that I put snow tires on in the winter and since I live in flat Indianapolis I have no problem at all getting around in the snow.
Thanks for the info-I drove the v6 Mustang recently on vacation. Very nice car w 300HP and got ~ 26 MPG overall.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC in Ohio View Post
...How about a 1-series w/ snow tires vs a 3-series w snows? I'm guessing very similar?
Yes, very similar. The 1-series chassis is very similar to an older E46 3-series; both have very similar (nearly 50%/50% f/r) weight distribution and essentially identical powertrains and nannies.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
That's really all you need to know. I put a few hundred thousand miles on cars in winter before AWD or traction control were available, and what it boils down to is: how good a driver are you? A good driver with snow tires - and ESPECIALLY with traction control - can get where they need to go.

My wife's 1994 325i had traction control and she went where she needed to through six Colorado winters with that car and all-season tires.

You can go pretty much anywhere with any car if the weather isn't so bad that you're loony to be on the road at all.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
A BMW with proper winter tires can easily handle just about anything mother nature can throw at it.

By the way, it snows in Germany too.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:22 PM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
A BMW with proper winter tires can easily handle just about anything mother nature can throw at it.

By the way, it snows in Germany too.
Both items are good to know!