Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 MONTE CARLO BLUE
test drive M5

I finally found some time and test drove a M5 saturday as I have been thinking about trading in my dinan stage 4 550 M sport for a M5. I learned alot and it was well worth the experience. Number one, I had my heart set on either monte carlo blue or black but after saturday I am convinced the sakhir(spelling) orange with black leather is the best combo. Second I had a 2 1/2 hour drive to the bmw dealership in my 550 so it was ideal for me to get a true feel for the two in the same day. Here it is, I felt that there is not alot of difference in speed or acceleration between a dinan stage 4 550 or a M5. Over 100 mph probably a different story and at the track probably a different story. I felt the biggest difference was in the handling and the brakes. The M5 handled like a big GO KART ! And the chasis was also a difference between the two vehicles. The M5 has some great options. I loved the way you can adjust your chassis/suspension set up and the way you can adjust your RPM shift points. The DCT is very impressive as well. The brakes on the M5 also have it all over the 550. As much as I love the M5, I did not climb back into my 550 dinan unhappy or having the urge to turn around and go back to the dealer to close a deal. Maybe it's me, but I do not feel there is that big of a difference between the two vehicles, and keep in mind I do not even have dinan brakes or michelin tires on my 550. The dealer I visited is tied in very well with dinan and actually has dinan vehicles there to purchase and even the CA that took me for a test drive said that when you put a stage 4 or 5 dinan in a 550 the gap closes tremendousely between the two cars. And the dealership has a few dinan customers that are tracking their cars with no issues. Again I felt the biggest difference was in the handling and the braking. I do not feel the speed and HP were that much different. Keep in mind the dinan 550 has 90 ft./lbs. more torque, the M5 has 30 more HP. With that being said I love both cars and I am 50/50 on whether I will trade. I just do not feel the M5 is worth $ 45,000.00 to $ 50,000.00 difference in trade or $ 15,000.00 to $ 20,000.00 new compared to a dinan 5 new vs. a M5 new. Do not get me wrong the M5 is my favorite sports sedan, but as the CA told me the dinan 550 is just a slight step below a M5 and I agree. I think if I tracked the car 3 times per month in the summer I would go in the M5, but knowing that I do not do that, I am still undecided if the additional cost is worth it. Again right now I am 50/50 on trading. I did the best I could explaining what I felt the differences were and I will admit I am not that mechanically inclined or a gear head. In closing coming from someone who has driven both vehicles, owners of the 550 stage 4/5 dinan have nothing to be ashamed about when comparing their vehicle to a f10 M5. By the way saturday on the way to the dealership I pulled away from a E 60 M5 repeatedly without much of a problem.

Last edited by FTC; 05-20-2013 at 05:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Ads by Google
Old 05-20-2013, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 M5
The M5 is a luxury performance sedan

It's obviously not simply a sports car but then neither is the F10 550, the E60 550 was closer. The luxury appointments in the M5 are superior to the 550. In February I bought my wife a 2013 X5 5.0 with premium sound, luxury seating/full leather, M performance and M sport. It was $82k on the sticker and I got a $3k discount, didn't bargain at all. It is a great car, it is a 550. Two weeks ago I bought a M5 with an individual color, Amazonite Silver. I got B&O sound which is the best sound system I have ever experienced in a car. I got Black Merino Full Leather with Exec Package and Driver assist Package along with 20" sport rims. The car is a complete package. It will eventually have mods available for it from Dinan and when it does, I will get them and this engine will put out 600+ HP.

Right now, the car is incredibly fast and with the different driving and shifting modes I can change it's characteristics as needed. The camera system is better than what is on my wife's X5, the seating is better, the remote works better and there is a big difference in the quality of the leather. The 550 has Dakota Leather which isn't as good as the Merino Leather in the M5. I don't know if you have active, ventilated seats but that is part of the executive package and it's something I paid for on my wife's car, it's a must down here in Texas with the black interior. It's part of the executive package on the M5 and it's really great for driving in the heat like right now.

I drove a 2010 535i M sport with Dinan Stage 2 for three years prior to this and the transmission isn't nearly as good as the one in the M5. This car just has it all over the rest of the 5 series, it is the best that BMW has to offer in the line and IMO, it's their best car, period.

You won't do that great on trade, BMW doesn't value trades that well. This is my fourth BMW and I have never been given a good trade. I did get good discounts off the MSRP on my 535 and the M5. My MSRP for the M5 was $111,400 and I got $9500 off the sticker. This car is fantastic, the best car I have ever owned.

Last edited by wrsbmw; 05-20-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3, 2013 M5
I just bought an M5 recently and I previously owned 12 550i. You may be correct that it's not a huge leap in performance when you're going from a dinan 550i to the stock m5. Some of my disappointments with the 550i were the brakes and the suspension. By the time you start modding engine, exhaust, wheels, tires (non run flats), shock tuning, springs, brakes, LSD, inter cooler, might as well trade in and buy an M5. At least that's the way I look at it.

So according to my figures, you'd have to spend roughly $25k in mods and you still won't have the M5 engine nor will you have the amazing DCT. It still won't be an M car.

Last edited by elitex; 05-20-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
It's obviously not simply a sports car but then neither is the F10 550, the E60 550 was closer. The luxury appointments in the M5 are superior to the 550. In February I bought my wife a 2013 X5 5.0 with premium sound, luxury seating/full leather, M performance and M sport. It was $82k on the sticker and I got a $3k discount, didn't bargain at all. It is a great car, it is a 550. Two weeks ago I bought a M5 with an individual color, Amazonite Silver. I got B&O sound which is the best sound system I have ever experienced in a car. I got Black Merino Full Leather with Exec Package and Driver assist Package along with 20" sport rims. The car is a complete package. It will eventually have mods available for it from Dinan and when it does, I will get them and this engine will put out 600+ HP.

Right now, the car is incredibly fast and with the different driving and shifting modes I can change it's characteristics as needed. The camera system is better than what is on my wife's X5, the seating is better, the remote works better and there is a big difference in the quality of the leather. The 550 has Dakota Leather which isn't as good as the Merino Leather in the M5. I don't know if you have active, ventilated seats but that is part of the executive package and it's something I paid for on my wife's car, it's a must down here in Texas with the black interior. It's part of the executive package on the M5 and it's really great for driving in the heat like right now.

I drove a 2010 535i M sport with Dinan Stage 2 for three years prior to this and the transmission isn't nearly as good as the one in the M5. This car just has it all over the rest of the 5 series, it is the best that BMW has to offer in the line and IMO, it's their best car, period.

You won't do that great on trade, BMW doesn't value trades that well. This is my fourth BMW and I have never been given a good trade. I did get good discounts off the MSRP on my 535 and the M5. My MSRP for the M5 was $111,400 and I got $9500 off the sticker. This car is fantastic, the best car I have ever owned.
Big difference between a dinan 535 and a dinan 550 stage 4/5. Not a $ 50,000.00 difference between a 550 x drive dinan and a M5 or a $ 20,000.00 difference new car to new car. I just drove them back to back. Yes the M5 is a better track vehicle, but not $ 20,000.00 to $ 25,000.00 better.

Last edited by FTC; 05-20-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
I just bought an M5 recently and I previously owned 12 550i. You may be correct that it's not a huge leap in performance when you're going from a dinan 550i to the stock m5. Some of my disappointments with the 550i were the brakes and the suspension. By the time you start modding engine, exhaust, wheels, tires (non run flats), shock tuning, springs, brakes, LSD, inter cooler, might as well trade in and buy an M5. At least that's the way I look at it.

So according to my figures, you'd have to spend roughly $25k in mods and you still won't have the M5 engine nor will you have the amazing DCT. It still won't be an M car.
I bought my 550 x drive m sport brand new in 2011 and I have approximately $ 80,000 to $ 81,000.00 in the vehicle with stage 4. That's basically $ 11,000.00 worth of dinan mod's. Based on the numbers I got this weekend the M5 is still anywhere's from $ 15,000.00 to $ 20,000.00 OVER my cost new invested in my 550 to a new M5. And just to justify that, the BMW DEALER that I spent time with saturday had a 2013 550 for sale with dinan stage 4 installed = $ 81,000.00 MSRP. . The cheapest M5 they had was $ 101,000.00. I know alot of people that buy M5'S feel that money is no object, but $ 20,000.00 pays alot of bills and allows me to go on a few hunting trips.

Last edited by FTC; 05-20-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 AM

test drive M5

It sounds like you're very happy with your dinan 550. I know in my case when I started looking into costs to upgrade my 550i, it would have been well over $11k in mods. Not worth it in my opinion.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you're very happy with your dinan 550. I know in my case when I started looking into costs to upgrade my 550i, it would have been well over $11k in mods. Not worth it in my opinion.

Again I'll take the $ 20,000.00 to $ 25,000.00 in cash, espcially after driving both cars back to back. In my opinion the difference is not worth it. Sometimes you have to be practible and not wasteful even if you have the cash. The vehicles are no more than $ 10,000 to maybe $ 15,000.00 apart, not $ 20,000.00 to $ 25,000.00.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
Again I'll take the $ 20,000.00 to $ 25,000.00 in cash, espcially after driving both cars back to back. In my opinion the difference is not worth it. Sometimes you have to be practible and not wasteful even if you have the cash. The vehicles are no more than $ 10,000 to maybe $ 15,000.00 apart, not $ 20,000.00 to $ 25,000.00.
Actually you are simply not going to convince anyone on this board of your viewpoint. This has been discussed in other threads. I considered your route and decided against it and I am glad I did. I dropped my modded 535i like a hot potato and I am glad I did. This car is superior in every way to a modded 550, period, no question. You can keep your mods and be happy with them. You don't have a $100k car, it doesn't say M5 on it and it's not the top of the line for the 5 series. There are a lot more 550s for sale than M5's. You seem to be pretending that doesn't matter but it does, a lot. So keep your extra cash and be happy with your choice and go back to posting on the F10 forum 5 series forum.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Actually you are simply not going to convince anyone on this board of your viewpoint. This has been discussed in other threads. I considered your route and decided against it and I am glad I did. I dropped my modded 535i like a hot potato and I am glad I did. This car is superior in every way to a modded 550, period, no question. You can keep your mods and be happy with them. You don't have a $100k car, it doesn't say M5 on it and it's not the top of the line for the 5 series. There are a lot more 550s for sale than M5's. You seem to be pretending that doesn't matter but it does, a lot. So keep your extra cash and be happy with your choice and go back to posting on the F10 forum 5 series forum.
I am not trying to convince anybody of anything. I am just stating what I felt after driving both vehicles back to back in the same day. Personally I can afford a M5 but I also like to think practical and be somewhat sensible at the same time and feel that if I am spending $ 25,000.00 more for anything it should justify it instead of just throwiing money at something and saying " see what I've got", real smart. Personally I could care less who has a $ 100,000.00 car or what badge it has on it. The bottom line is this, if you can justify spending $ 112,000.00 minus BMW'S generous(LOL) $ 9500.00 DISCOUNT, what a joke, all for that badge then more power to you. And by the way texas do your homework, if the new M5 was in such high demand there wouldn't be over 400 of them available new and used out there right now. Keep in mind the vehicle has not even been available for 1 year and there is already alot of used one's on the market. The bottom line is bmw over saturated the market with f 10 M5'S and it is killing their resale value.

But you can tell yourself whatever you want to stroke your ego after spending $ 103,000.00 for a badge. Again the smart M5 buyer will wait until the vehicle becomes used with low miles before wasting their money. All that being said after driving the M5 saturday, yes it is a very impressive car, but not at the price point over a dinan 550. And I believe their are alot more used M5's out there for sale than DINAN 550'S.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:30 PM

test drive M5

Well, like I said. It sounds like you're happy and that's all that matters. IMO M5 is worth it, the only thing that comes close would be the panamera gts but it is much slower and also costs good $20k more. M5 is a bargain considering what you get.

On another note, what did you expect to accomplish by posting this in an M5 forum? Off course most M5 owners will disagree with you. Don't forget that there are plenty of previous dinan 550i owners who are now driving M5's and are completely satisfied with their decision.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Well, like I said. It sounds like you're happy and that's all that matters. IMO M5 is worth it, the only thing that comes close would be the panamera gts but it is much slower and also costs good $20k more. M5 is a bargain considering what you get.

On another note, what did you expect to accomplish by posting this in an M5 forum? Off course most M5 owners will disagree with you. Don't forget that there are plenty of previous dinan 550i owners who are now driving M5's and are completely satisfied with their decision.

Most of the bmw owners who went from DINAN 550's and spent $ 50,000.00 to trade for an M5 keep telling themselves how much better the M5 is to stroke their ego's and justify " the badge" along with spending $ 120,000 to $ 130,000.00 invested in the m5 when trading in the DINAN 550. If I was that stupid I would keep telling myself how much better the badge was to.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 PM

test drive M5

Wow. You're right that's exactly what's happening.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM

550i stage 4 is not cutting it up against the M5

Read this thread if there are any doubts about the superior car............

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835590
Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Hey texas, if there are any doubts check out Dunderhi's post about the superior car for $ 20,000.00 less................

http://w.bimmerfest.com/forums/showt...1&goto=newpost
Old 05-22-2013, 01:21 PM

You need to learn how to post links if you want me to read the thread, that link goes nowhere..................
Old 05-22-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Sounds to me like a bunch of Ego's trying to justify the $ 100,000.00 they just spent to be part of the club.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
You need to learn how to post links if you want me to read the thread, that link goes nowhere..................
I apologize about that texas. If you can find it in you to lower yourself go over to the f10 5 series forum and check out " test drive M5 ". Us 550 poor man owners are not as computer literate as you $ 100,000.00 club guys.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:40 PM

OK I read the thread, so what?

The M6 is too low to the ground for me, it's also a coupe. It's a really nice 3 series but I don't know what the point of the back seat is in it. To me that is a waste of space and could make a good trunk. In the Vette it was storage space. The 6 is basically competing with the Vette. I like the sedan and the M5 is the best sedan that BMW makes. The M5 is better than anything you can do with a 750 unless you are talking Alpina B7 and that is just styling, not performance.

Face it, you have a nice car, but it's not the best BMW makes. Sure you can afford the best but you are cheap, I can see that. That's OK, I feel like life is short and if I like dessert, so be it. I didn't cheap out, I bought the best and believe me, the DCT is a hell of a lot more fun to drive than the simple steptronic and I even had a sport button in my 535 which they eliminated in the F10.

Let's see also how things are after I do some mods to the M5. Dinan will produce a mod for it, you can bet on that. Then where will you guys be? Stuck with a car that is all tuned up and with nothing to beat other than maybe a 535......LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by wrsbmw; 05-22-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
The M6 is too low to the ground for me, it's also a coupe. It's a really nice 3 series but I don't know what the point of the back seat is in it. To me that is a waste of space and could make a good trunk. In the Vette it was storage space. The 6 is basically competing with the Vette. I like the sedan and the M5 is the best sedan that BMW makes. The M5 is better than anything you can do with a 750 unless you are talking Alpina B7 and that is just styling, not performance.

Face it, you have a nice car, but it's not the best BMW makes. Sure you can afford the best but you are cheap, I can see that. That's OK, I feel like life is short and if I like dessert, so be it. I didn't cheap out, I bought the best and believe me, the DCT is a hell of a lot more fun to drive than the simple steptronic and I even had a sport button in my 535 which they eliminated in the F10.

Let's see also how things are after I do some mods to the M5. Dinan will produce a mod for it, you can bet on that. Then where will you guys be? Stuck with a car that is all tuned up and with nothing to beat other than maybe a 535......LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So texas did you hear the news, your $ 100,000.00 2013 f10 M5 is no longer the " BEST 5 SERIES" BMW makes with the announcement of the 2014 lci M5 competition package your $ 103,000.00 ego trip is old news. By the way another fact, after just 1 short year the value of the 2013 M5 just plummented down even farther than it already has currently.

Last edited by FTC; 05-22-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:

So texas, have you got your 2014 LCI M5 Competition package ordered so you can keep up with the jones's and stay in the club.

Last edited by FTC; 05-22-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
So texas, have you got your 2014 LCI M5 Competition package ordered so you can keep up with the jones's and stay in the club.

I will have to wait for the oil wells to start flowing and then I will trade this one in but that won't be for at least another year. In the meantime, I still have the best BMW makes.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I will have to wait for the oil wells to start flowing and then I will trade this one in but that won't be for at least another year. In the meantime, I still have the best BMW makes.
Gee, for being the best bmw makes it is awful funny that in less than a year there is more 2013 f10 m5's already for sale than any BMW in a one year time frame. Oh and by the way how does it feel to be driving a $ 112,000.00 vehicle msrp that in less than one year is worth $ 85,000 to $ 90,000. Not only is everything bigger in texas but also lacking in the IQ department. The classic car dealers SUCKER !

Last edited by FTC; 05-22-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Gee, for being the best bmw makes it is awful funny that in less than a year there is more 2013 f10 m5's already for sale than any BMW in a one year time frame. Oh and by the way how does it feel to be driving a $ 112,000.00 vehicle msrp that in less than one year is worth $ 85,000 to $ 90,000. Not only is everything bigger in texas but also lacking in the IQ department. The classic car dealers SUCKER !
As I said, I got a $9500 discount from the MSRP due to the factors you mentioned. I probably could have driven a harder bargain but I have plenty of money and didn't want to go to the next dealership. Secondly, I did consider a couple of the used ones and they were really low miles and well discounted but alas, they only had extended leather and I wanted full leather. So instead of waiting longer for something to show up that had already been driven hard and put up wet, I bought one that had everything I wanted for a discount and have been the only driver. This car was fresh off the ship from the Houston Ship Channel, it still had plastic all over it. The odometer had 2 miles on it when I got in it and drove it away.

It is now through it's 1200 mile break in period and I am free to rev it up to my hearts content, conditions allowing. I am perfectly happy with my selection and am not short on IQ points in any way. I probably have far more education than you do. Like I said, it's not the money to me, I am not a tigthwad which you apparently are, the epitomy of a Tightwad Maine Yankee. Do your fingers get sore from prolonged penny pinching?

Last edited by wrsbmw; 05-22-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
As I said, I got a $9500 discount from the MSRP due to the factors you mentioned. I probably could have driven a harder bargain but I have plenty of money and didn't want to go to the next dealership. Secondly, I did consider a couple of the used ones and they were really low miles and well discounted but alas, they only had extended leather and I wanted full leather. So instead of waiting longer for something to show up that had already been driven hard and put up wet, I bought one that had everything I wanted for a discount and have been the only driver. This car was fresh off the ship from the Houston Ship Channel, it still had plastic all over it. The odometer had 2 miles on it when I got in it and drove it away.

It is now through it's 1200 mile break in period and I am free to rev it up to my hearts content, conditions allowing. I am perfectly happy with my selection and am not short on IQ points in any way. I probably have far more education than you do. Like I said, it's not the money to me, I am not a tigthwad which you apparently are, the epitomy of a Tightwad Maine Yankee. Do your fingers get sore from prolonged penny pinching?
No wonder you rednecks lost the civil war.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
No wonder you rednecks lost the civil war.
I have nothing against Yankees, the war was long ago but my family remembers it well. I am 5th generation Texan and my ancestors fought in the battle of New Orleans under Andrew Jackson. I have been to Maine, Kittery and parts north along the coast. It's very pretty in the summer. I remember having lobster at a place called the Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier. You picked your lobsters out of a tank and they boiled them for you. I had a company OEM my software that was headquartered in Nashua, Altaworks, which was why I was up there. This was back in 2000. That was a real good deal for about 7 years. They paid me a nice big license fee and maintenance but never succeeded and were eventually bought out by OPNET. That was back when I needed to work for a living. Made good money in high tech for many years but ended up with colon cancer in 2006, which I beat.

What I found out about life is that money is just a way to help you enjoy life and if you spread it around, you tend to get more of it back. If you are cheap and penurious, people will generally be that way with you. You should probably reward yourself with the 2014 M5 with the competition package and then come back and brag about having the best BMW makes.