Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 MONTE CARLO BLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Yup, your view is certainly different from Dunderhi's and yes, I do respect your view.
Thank you. By the way I did post my review on the m5 forum and it really bruised some ego's. again if the trade difference was more realistic I probably would have traded for the m5. But again I do not feel I am losing that much with a DINAN 550 stage 5.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Dunderhi's post (months back) on his driving experience of the M6 is different from your views of the M5 drive. From my recollection, his views are quite different from that posted in post#20 above.
I'm not sure how my views have changed, but below are my posts from the original thread. In the thread above I am talking about steering responsiveness of the two cars, while my negative comments right after my test drive were focused on the M6's harsh ride. Trust me, the Sakhir Orange and black combo made it a car to lust after and if it had potential as a daily driver, I would have bought it. The Dinan6 offerings are somewhat lacking at this point. Interestingly enough, I test drove the M6 in December and it was still sitting on the lot in April. My CA said no one wants a car like that, so that they were probably going to dump it just to get it off the lot. On the other-hand my driven-hard and "no where near meticulously cared for" 550xi sold in weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Well, it's not an M6!

I drove a Sakhir Orange/Black beauty and I was a bit disappointed. Sure it was blisteringly fast, but the ride was terrible. It felt like it was a track car, the three suspension settings were stiff, harsh, and ouch my spine. I would have a hard time using this car as a commuter. I was also surprised by the turbo whine heard inside the cabin. It's too bad, because the car was absolutely gorgeous.
Quote:
I think the combination of ARS, stiffer springs, ultralight wheels, and non-RFTs on my 550 produced a smooth flat ride on any road surface. I didn't realize how good the ride was until I put my stock RFTs & heavy a$$ wheel back on the car a couple of weeks ago. Now there isn't a smooth option for bad roads. If I think about it, the M6 with its 20" wheels would probably feel similar to my car if I had an OEM 20" set-up. I'll put my BBS wheels on the new 650, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing for the X5. The stock 300M wheels weigh 39 & 41 lbs each, which borders on the ridiculous.
I found one word that I accidentally omitted which I highlighted in red. This might have caused some confusion for you.

Quote:
Don't forget, I drove the M6 and it didn't do it for me, so I'm not sure why I would want to step backwards to the heavier M5. BTW, the 650xi is only 23lbs heavier than the M5. My BBS/PSS will trim my car's weight by 71lbs, so my 650xi will be 48lbs lighter than the M5 and still be able to climb my snow covered driveway in the Winter. Best of all, I could go 0-60mph in 4 seconds in the rain. Audi's been doing it, MB is just now figuring it out, and someday M division will figure it out - AWD rules! Oh wait, they built the X5M, so they know better.

Also, before you claim any straightline only capability, please realize the impact of light wheels and good tires. Edmunds did a test with an AWD Lincoln MKZ and it was faster than the M5 in the slalom solely due to the fact it had they swapped out crappy all season tires and mounted a set of Michelin PSS. AWD and sticky rubber gets the job done.

2013 Lincoln MKZ Road Test

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
thanks your view certainly differs; and your point has been that you were $$$ not a concern
Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
I love the m5 ! I just could not see or feel that there was a $ 20,000 to $ 25,000 dollar difference in performance, even with all the enhancements you just mentioned.
Quote:
again if the trade difference was more realistic I probably would have traded for the m5. But again I do not feel I am losing that much with a DINAN 550 stage 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi
Well, it's not an M6!

I drove a Sakhir Orange/Black beauty and I was a bit disappointed. Sure it was blisteringly fast, but the ride was terrible. It felt like it was a track car, the three suspension settings were stiff, harsh, and ouch my spine. I would have a hard time using this car as a commuter. I was also surprised by the turbo whine heard inside the cabin. It's too bad, because the car was absolutely gorgeous.
in contrast with:

Quote:
I will admit that I haven't driven the M5, but I have driven the sportier M6. Hypothetically, even if the M5 was as good as the M6, I would still pick a Dinan 550xi even for the same money. I experienced comparable steering responsiveness in my 550 due to my stiffer springs, very light wheels, and grippy tires. Although all-out acceleration wasn't as fast, it was effectively faster and more predictable due the xDrive always getting the power to the pavement.

I will point out that by modding a car fully to Dinan specs - tune, suspension, exhaust, wheels, and brakes (pretty much everything the M division does) then the cost advantage disappears.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by bm323; 05-22-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
Quote:
I agree with you on the exclusive colors, painted calibers, some interior upgrades, brakes, and suspension. The brakes you can up grade on a 550, the suspension you can improve, and dinan's exhaust is better than the M5'S
FTC,
Would you be able to provide more detail as to what way you felt Dinan exhaust superior to the M5 exhaust?

I really like my Dinan exhaust but i wish it was a little quieter in low rpms ( 1-2.5k), anything above that is gorgeous sound, simply love it! Not sure how it is on the M5 exhaust ( even though it may be artifical in some ways )
Old 05-23-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-F10 View Post
FTC,
Would you be able to provide more detail as to what way you felt Dinan exhaust superior to the M5 exhaust?

I really like my Dinan exhaust but i wish it was a little quieter in low rpms ( 1-2.5k), anything above that is gorgeous sound, simply love it! Not sure how it is on the M5 exhaust ( even though it may be artifical in some ways )
I honestly feel the DINAN exhaust has a better growl or sound especially inside the cabin of the car. Again keep in mind the m5's exhaust sound is " piped" in to make sound louder and even with that I didn't feel it sounded as good as dinan's exhaust. Although I wish dinan's exhaust was louder.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Blk/Blk MSport
test drive M5

Quote:
I honestly feel the DINAN exhaust has a better growl or sound especially inside the cabin of the car. Again keep in mind the m5's exhaust sound is " piped" in to make sound louder and even with that I didn't feel it sounded as good as dinan's exhaust. Although I wish dinan's exhaust was louder.
Can you go in to more detail about the "piped in" sound of the M5. I understand the theory but wondering the mechanics and sound in/out of the car. Thx

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-23-2013, 05:14 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
To get to M5 performance levels you need to replace the brakes, add the LSD, Fulyl upgrade the suspension, replace the wheels and tires, Tune the engine, replace the exhaust including the downpipes. This is about $30k in upgrades at least. And in the secondary market (i.e. when you sell it), tuned cars are considered abused cars so the resale value is going to be awful, whereas with the M5 you can sell it stock and get a better price.

So let's do the math:
Tuning - $4k
Full exhaust including downpipes (needed to reduce lag to M5 levels) - $9k
Intercoolers - $3.5k
Suspension and suspension tuning $3000
LSD $4000
Wider lightweight wheels and tires - $6000

That's not counting that the M5 has full leather, alcantara headliner, better looks, and a vastly superior transmission, and several other things.

So to me the choice is be penny wise and piss away you money gradually on mods, or buy what you want in the first place.

The 550i is an excellent car as is, and especially with a stage 2 tune. But modifying it to compete with an M5 is a waste of money.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 05-23-2013, 06:19 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
To get to M5 performance levels you need to replace the brakes, add the LSD, Fulyl upgrade the suspension, replace the wheels and tires, Tune the engine, replace the exhaust including the downpipes. This is about $30k in upgrades at least. And in the secondary market (i.e. when you sell it), tuned cars are considered abused cars so the resale value is going to be awful, whereas with the M5 you can sell it stock and get a better price.

So let's do the math:
Tuning - $4k
Intercoolers - $3.5k
LSD $4000

That's not counting that the M5 has full leather, alcantara headliner, better looks, and a vastly superior transmission, and several other things.

So to me the choice is be penny wise and piss away you money gradually on mods, or buy what you want in the first place.

The 550i is an excellent car as is, and especially with a stage 2 tune. But modifying it to compete with an M5 is a waste of money.
And how much do you need to piss away on an M5 to make it AWD?

Old 05-25-2013, 02:23 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
Quote:

So let's do the math:
Tuning - $4k
Intercoolers - $3.5k
LSD $4000

Well done. I realize the premium paid for an M5 may not be worth it, but a 550 is not an M5 just because it can compete on a straight line. In terms of AWD, some would argue a true performance car is supposed to be RWD.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 05-25-2013, 03:21 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Unfortunately it's not even "piped" in, it's a completely artificial sound which comes out of the cars sound system, which apparently sounds exactly like the real motor.

I love the M5, but IMO the interior at least appears to be a downgrade in the dash area. The reason I say this is because every picture I see of one, instead of the classy entire lower wood panel which surrounds the bottom portion where the cupholder lid is, around the gear shifter, all the way up to the center console, it seems to have this cheap plastic in place, like what you'd expect out of a 520i or something. Am I wrong? I keep looking up M5 interior pics and they all seem to have plastic paneling in that area instead of the wood we have on "regular" F10's. I can't think of why BMW would do this other than cost cutting due to not wanting to make entirely new piece made of wood for such a low volume car, which is counter-intuitive for a car like the M5.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
Well done. I realize the premium paid for an M5 may not be worth it, but a 550 is not an M5 just because it can compete on a straight line. In terms of AWD, some would argue a true performance car is supposed to be RWD.
Your numbers are bogus. Right now I am in a stage 5 dinan 550 m sport all wheel drive, this includes ecu download, exhaust, intercoolers, CAI, sport suspension, and Michelin tires and I have $ 15,000.00 on top of the 69,000.00 I paid for the fully loaded 550. The cheapest price I was qouted for a new M5 was $ 96,500.00 after discounts. So that tells me I am $ 12,500.0 to the good. I am only 20 hp less that a m5 but I have 95 more ft./lbs. torque. And in my opinion torque is more enjoyable to drive with. Remember torque gets you there. But wait a minute I must have been trying out a 535 with a M badge on it.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:

So let's do the math:
Tuning - $4k
Intercoolers - $3.5k
LSD $4000

Your numbers are bogus. Read my post above. I have $ 15,000.00 with stage 5 in my 550 x drive m sport and I am still $ 12,500.00 to the good comparing new m5 to new DINAN stage 5 550. Only 20 hp behind the m5, but 95 ft/lbs. more torque, I'll take the torque. Sorry I didn't mean to hurt your M5 ego, I do understand that you need to keep justifying to yourself how great the M5 is when you've got around $ 130,000.00 invested in the m5 including trading the 550 for the " badge ".

Last edited by FTC; 05-25-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3, 2013 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Unfortunately it's not even "piped" in, it's a completely artificial sound which comes out of the cars sound system, which apparently sounds exactly like the real motor.

I love the M5, but IMO the interior at least appears to be a downgrade in the dash area. The reason I say this is because every picture I see of one, instead of the classy entire lower wood panel which surrounds the bottom portion where the cupholder lid is, around the gear shifter, all the way up to the center console, it seems to have this cheap plastic in place, like what you'd expect out of a 520i or something. Am I wrong? I keep looking up M5 interior pics and they all seem to have plastic paneling in that area instead of the wood we have on "regular" F10's. I can't think of why BMW would do this other than cost cutting due to not wanting to make entirely new piece made of wood for such a low volume car, which is counter-intuitive for a car like the M5.
It's not plastic, it's actually real leather. My M3 is the same way and it's been confirmed that it is in fact real leather.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: '13 BMW M5, '14 Audi SQ5
Quote:
Your numbers are bogus. Read my post above. I have $ 15,000.00 with stage 5 in my 550 x drive m sport and I am still $ 12,500.00 to the good comparing new m5 to new DINAN stage 5 550. Only 20 hp behind the m5, but 95 ft/lbs. more torque, I'll take the torque. Sorry I didn't mean to hurt your M5 ego, I do understand that you need to keep justifying to yourself how great the M5 is when you've got around $ 130,000.00 invested in the m5 including trading the 550 for the " badge ".
After reading through your posts...you seem just as defensive in trying to justify your purchase. I will admit I am somewhat biased as I currently own an F10 M5 and had an E39 M5. So to me claiming that there is just a "badge" difference between a 550 and M5 is ludicrous and is likely just a means of trying to antagonize Stealth.Pilot. What was not brought up was the larger turbochargers on the M5 and the hours upon hours of R&D from BMW's M division. You may counter that Dinan does extensive R&D and I would agree that they do.... But just nowhere near as many hours (Dinan had to ask F10 M5 owners to volunteer their cars as opposed to the many test mules used in the development cycle as an example of their more limited means).

Anyway...you have a great car and I envy your xdrive system and would have loved to see that in action on an M5. However, I find it kind of amusing that you have a "Stage 5" car...and I don't mean that as an insult to you ... but a snipe at Dinan's marketing. To me a "Stage 5" build would include full exhaust (downpipes and x-pipe....not just mufflers), uograded fueling system, bigger turbos and probably reinforced transmission. It seems like Dinan wanted to almost create a Stage for every single performance mod and create a corresponding software with incremental costs associated. Maybe they do it as a psychological thing to make their customers feel they are getting more bang for the buck. It just seems funny coming from modding a bunch of other high performance cars and in each of those segments it would be laughable to call an intercooler upgrade, ECU tune, intake and mufflers a stage 5.

As far as your car itself, I am not sure your car is making a true 540hp at the crank. Maybe you are but when I was looking around I could only find a dyno of a stage 2 Dinan 550i (looked like it was rwd) putting down 411rwhp / 479rwtq on a Dynojet dyno. Dinan claims a Stage 2 550 is putting down 501hp and 580ft-lbs of torque. How much more power does a stage 5 550 make over a Stage 2? Even if it makes 40 more hp a the crank that would translate to about about 35whp which would put it somewhere around 450rwhp on a Dynojet. Most stock F10 M5's are putting down 520-530+rwhp on a Dynojet dyno. Having done dozens of dynos on various cars I know that there are tons of variables that affect a dyno #. However, I am extremely curious what a Dinan Stage 5 550 puts down on the same dyno in the same conditions as an F10 M5. I am sure the aftermarket tuning would help the Dinan pull similar (likely better) low end torque #'s. However, the bigger turbos are a huge advantage up top for the M5. But like I said if anyone is interested in doing a dyno comparison in the DC metro area , I am game since I want to get a stock baseline dyno anyway.

I am waiting to see what Dinan comes out with as far as software tuning for the M5. Switzer already has a package for the F10 M5 which took a stock M5 from a baseline 536rwhp to 604rwhp with drop-in air filters, rear exhaust and tune on a Dynojet dyno.

If I had to have an AWD sedan I would have probably done the same build as you (or maybe an Audi S6 which are pretty cool as well). Everyone has their personal preferences and priorities. There are so many choices out there for car enthusiasts ...which is a great thing. So as long as your car makes you happy that is all that matters.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:16 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
It's not plastic, it's actually real leather. My M3 is the same way and it's been confirmed that it is in fact real leather.
Ah, ok I was hoping/thinking that HAD to be the case. Really hard to tell via pictures as I looked closely.

That makes sense then. I personally prefer the wood myself, but a quality surface is a quality surface (comes down to preference).

Old 05-26-2013, 08:08 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Re: test drive M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C. View Post
... is likely just a means of trying to antagonize Stealth.Pilot.
SP didn't grace us with his presence until post 33, but why would any of us insecure middle-managers seeking validation through our cars want to atoginize the world's second most interesting man?

Anyway, FTC might be pushing some of the M5 guys buttons a bit harder than I would, but just as there are guys who buy M5's after owning a Dinan5, there are guys that were disappointed in the M5 and kept their Dinan5. FTC is a member of the latter group. If there was a Dinan forum here at the Fest, I bet many posters would be as enthusiastic as the M guys.

From a cost perspective both cars when fully equipped would be comparable and they both depreciate heavily, with the exception of SP's Dinan5 which had an incredibly high resale.

Anyway, if RWD is your thing, the M5 is a compelling argument and if AWD is your thing, the Dinan5 is the way to go for Bimmer fans. I consider us lucky that we have so many options in finding the 5ers that meets our needs, whether it is a 528 or an M5... or in my case a two door 5er.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Your numbers are bogus. Right now I am in a stage 5 dinan 550 m sport all wheel drive, this includes ecu download, exhaust, intercoolers, CAI, sport suspension, and Michelin tires and I have $ 15,000.00 on top of the 69,000.00 I paid for the fully loaded 550. The cheapest price I was qouted for a new M5 was $ 96,500.00 after discounts. So that tells me I am $ 12,500.0 to the good. I am only 20 hp less that a m5 but I have 95 more ft./lbs. torque. And in my opinion torque is more enjoyable to drive with. Remember torque gets you there. But wait a minute I must have been trying out a 535 with a M badge on it.
Hmmm...$12,500 is peanuts to be in an M5 over a 550 Dinan. Not sure you made a good argument there. I really don't want to debate, but IF it were a matter of $12.5k I could easily see myself saying "why should I go through all these Dinan upgrades when I could have an M5". Don't take this the wrong way 550 owners, but the day is over when I try to rationalize why my car is better or more sensible than another car. It is what it is. For the record, I am not sitting here saying my 535 is the way to go. I can admit it, I wish I got a 550. Now I'm thinking M5 next so thanks!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Hmmm...$12,500 is peanuts to be in an M5 over a 550 Dinan. Not sure you made a good argument there. I really don't want to debate, but IF it were a matter of $12.5k I could easily see myself saying "why should I go through all these Dinan upgrades when I could have an M5". Don't take this the wrong way 550 owners, but the day is over when I try to rationalize why my car is better or more sensible than another car. It is what it is. For the record, I am not sitting here saying my 535 is the way to go. I can admit it, I wish I got a 550. Now I'm thinking M5 next so thanks!
$ 12,500.00 may be peanuts to you, but to me it pays alot of bills and allows me to go on two hunting trips.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
$ 12,500.00 may be peanuts to you, but to me it pays alot of bills and allows me to go on two hunting trips.
And it's a lot more than $12.5k for us leasers due to residuals.

Having said that, with the death of the 6 speed in the 550, I'm contemplating whether to buy out my 550 at lease end and Dinan it (yes, I used Dinan as a verb) vs. moving to an M5.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to sound like a rich snob (I'm not), but when you are talking $85-$100k cars, throwing in another $12k (or more likely agreeing to the extra $50-80 bucks monthly) would be REALLY easy for me to rationalize while sitting there at the dealer with an M5 and a 550 side by side. I went this weekend to the dealer just to see if I could get out of my lease early. The M5 is so friggin sexy....

Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: '13 BMW M5, '14 Audi SQ5
Quote:
I'm not trying to sound like a rich snob (I'm not), but when you are talking $85-$100k cars, throwing in another $12k (or more likely agreeing to the extra $50-80 bucks monthly) would be REALLY easy for me to rationalize while sitting there at the dealer with an M5 and a 550 side by side. I went this weekend to the dealer just to see if I could get out of my lease early. The M5 is so friggin sexy....
I have to disagree. When I negotiated my deal for the M5 we (the dealership and I) were off a few thousand dollars on the trade-in value and bottom line negotiated price to get me to a certain monthly payment with my outside lender. I basically told them that I would walk away and keep my trade if they didn't budge. We got the deal done but if I can completely understand keeping a perfectly good car (in my case a full bolt-on GT-R) if the $ numbers don't meet a certain acceptability. In my case I obviously could afford to finance a few more thousand but it was the principal of the matter as I had promised my wife that I would lower my monthly payment without coming out of pocket.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:25 PM

I completely understand everyone has different experiences negotiating and expectations on monthly payment. I am speaking from experience when it comes to me and how I can very easily become undisciplined when talking about another $100 a month and how hard it would be to walk away from an M5 for $100 per month. All this said, I would never consider the Dinan route. I just don't care enough to do all those mods. I would definitely go for an M5 if I wanted to spend that much, but the reality for me is I will get a well equipped stock 550xi with M-package next, so I should be $35k-40k under the cost of an M5.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Chitown traveller

Mein Auto: 535i X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
Actually I have wondered this myself. Seems a helluva lot like plastic to me. Do you mind posting a picture of your M5's trim with some stitching maybe to better reveal its leather attributes..

Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk22 View Post
Actually I have wondered this myself. Seems a helluva lot like plastic to me. Do you mind posting a picture of your M5's trim with some stitching maybe to better reveal its leather attributes..

I wanna go look at an M5 in person to see for myself as well, as the pictures which *look* like a full panel of cheap plastic just left a bad taste in my mouth. I need to turn it into a good taste.