Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i - Alpine White
I got my 2014 in Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown Dakota Leather with Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Package, Lighting Package and Premium Package. I really wish I had some place to drive right now. LOL
Old 09-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by machine27 View Post
I got my 2014 in Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown Dakota Leather with Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Package, Lighting Package and Premium Package. I really wish I had some place to drive right now. LOL
Awesome! Cinnamon Brown is one of my favs.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
Congrats! Agreed that it is an impressive ride, although the 1200 mile break-in period is killing me
Enjoy!
Me too. Two weeks, at 1100 miles. Yesterday my new 535i was in for a warning light. I asked the service advisor about doing a post break in oil change, and his response was that the engines are broken in at the factory. He said no need for an early oil change, no need to go easy during the 1200 mile break in period that the manual says.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
Me too. Two weeks, at 1100 miles. Yesterday my new 535i was in for a warning light. I asked the service advisor about doing a post break in oil change, and his response was that the engines are broken in at the factory. He said no need for an early oil change, no need to go easy during the 1200 mile break in period that the manual says.
It's difficult to know who to believe. I have a friend who recently picked up a 5 series at the performance center, and they reiterated the 1,200 mile break-in. That said, I've read that the engines are redline tested at the factory, so who knows.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 09-06-2013, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
It's difficult to know who to believe. I have a friend who recently picked up a 5 series at the performance center, and they reiterated the 1,200 mile break-in. That said, I've read that the engines are redline tested at the factory, so who knows.
Just got back from my ED - much more to say on that later. But..

Engines are "dry tested" during production and turned over after final assembly. They are not - according to the factory tour - tested or stressed beyond that.

Engines are mostly "handmade" - there's not a very high degree of automation involved. It ranges from (if memory serves) 47% for the small four cylinder to about 11% for the V8 (and zero for the RR engines), so this does tell me that there could still be tight tolerances but not a 100% expectation that it will be flawless.

I did hit about 5k RPM twice while passing, but I doubt it's an issue. I will hit 135mph under 4K RPM anyway, so in the 820 miles I drove it in Germany, no problems or complaints with the break-in "limitation."

Certainly not AS much fun - you can't really beat it like a naughty pony - but even the Autobahn has immense traffic, construction, etc. I couldn't even get up to about 120mph in most places.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535i 2011
Based on the 7/15 memo in the changelog of the pricing guide, it seems that ZL1 can now be added on ZMM. Meaning Individual Composition (ZL1) is now possible for M-Sport (ZMM) as well (alcantara headliner, aluminium window trim, individual door sill finishers, etc.)

Online configurator does not support this, but dealers should be able to submit the custom order.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Beg your pardon, but I work for a living..
$6K is a lot to pay "off the top" for (individual composition) some cosmetic options.

I'm just wondering why it's important?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:06 AM

Mein Auto:
For me flexibility in trims is important. For instance, I don't like Shadowline window trim against dark paints such as CarbonBlack or Black Sapphire. This causes a dilemma when ordering M Sport (ZMM). In the USA market it has to come with Shadowline. You cannot order M Sport with chrome or aluminium window trim and that is nearly a dealbreaker for me. When I look at the car in profile, aluminium/chrome window trim accentuates the Hoffmeister kink which is one of the defining features of BMW sedans. Profile views of dark painted M Sports with Shadowline look dull and the Hoffmeister kink is not as clearly defined. Shadowline works better on light coloured paints.

If DominikB is right, then at last I will have the chance to have an M Sport endowed BMW 5 Series which has aluminium door trim. Look, after spending money on a car that drives the way you like, is it not advisable to get that extra kick by making sure it looks just right. When you wake up in the morning and view the vehicle you take a deep breath then exhale with a smile because you know BMW at last has allowed you to get it just right!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I would never push the engine of a car before breaking it in for 1200 or so miles, but that's me. Maybe a bit extra cautious. I view it as delaying gratification a bit. Kind of like waiting 8 friggin' weeks for the delivery of a special order car because I needed to have it "just right".
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
For me flexibility in trims is important. For instance, I don't like Shadowline window trim against dark paints such as CarbonBlack or Black Sapphire. This causes a dilemma when ordering M Sport (ZMM). In the USA market it has to come with Shadowline. You cannot order M Sport with chrome or aluminium window trim and that is nearly a dealbreaker for me. When I look at the car in profile, aluminium/chrome window trim accentuates the Hoffmeister kink which is one of the defining features of BMW sedans. Profile views of dark painted M Sports with Shadowline look dull and the Hoffmeister kink is not as clearly defined. Shadowline works better on light coloured paints.

If DominikB is right, then at last I will have the chance to have an M Sport endowed BMW 5 Series which has aluminium door trim. Look, after spending money on a car that drives the way you like, is it not advisable to get that extra kick by making sure it looks just right. When you wake up in the morning and view the vehicle you take a deep breath then exhale with a smile because you know BMW at last has allowed you to get it just right!
If you're willing to pay for it you should speak to your CA. They may be able special order trim for you.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwildcat View Post
Beg your pardon, but I work for a living..
$6K is a lot to pay "off the top" for (individual composition) some cosmetic options.

I'm just wondering why it's important?
Individual Composition is not just cosmetic per se.

It includes the Merino individual leather, which separately is $2500.

I've had Merino sheep leather before and it's nothing like rough Dakota, Nevada or synthetic Nappa. Plus with alcantara headliner, it's exceptional to touch, creates a completely different atmosphere in the car and makes it feel like a $1 million Rolls Royce.

But of course it's subjective.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Nappa leather is synthetic? First time I've heard that...
Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiltsy View Post
Sorry -- I assume it's a real leather. The processing they apply on Nappa to smoothen it out, makes it feel synthetic and sticky to touch (for me, subjetively), when compared to Merino individual.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto:
To me that just right feeling is as important as driving dynamics. It's worth working for. It's worth paying for. I'm convinced it adds to one's self-esteem and even life expectancy. I do my exercises in the morning; take a shower; have a hearty breakfast. Stroll to the car with a zing in my step and look at the profile. The kinky Hoffmeister kink sparkles in the sun. The M Sport Five is ready, willing and waiting....so am I. At last BMW individual has apparently allowed me to merge the M Sport package with aluminium window trim. I don't want to get too excited..... I must verify this.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiltsy View Post
Nappa is real leather.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
To me that just right feeling is as important as driving dynamics. It's worth working for. It's worth paying for. I'm convinced it adds to one's self-esteem and even life expectancy. I do my exercises in the morning; take a shower; have a hearty breakfast. Stroll to the car with a zing in my step and look at the profile. The kinky Hoffmeister kink sparkles in the sun. The M Sport Five is ready, willing and waiting....so am I. At last BMW individual has apparently allowed me to merge the M Sport package with aluminium window trim. I don't want to get too excited..... I must verify this.
If you're not successful with ordering it from the factory, then you can always order the parts and have it replaced post-delivery. No problem with that.

I think starting with 2014 there are also three different trims (not sure if it was the same in pre-LCI): shadowline black, silver matte, chrome. I've seen a LCI F10 in the lot at the dealership and it had a matte silver trim.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche Boxster S
Quote:
Invoice is:
92% of the base MSRP plus 91% of the MSRP options and packages (round to the nearest $5)
$925 Destination
$380 MACO
$180 Training fee
Any idea what % for European Delivery?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringle View Post
No, I don't have any information about European Delivery.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringle View Post
I think this is all pretty close. It was in my case for Euro Delviery.
First get Euro RETAIL from US Retail by multiplying US Retail by 0.93 OF THE CAR ONLY. Then take the Euro Retail and multiply by 0.92 to get Euro Invoice and round it up to the next highest $5. This holds for the car price (euro invoice) only, options/packages handled below. Some of the price sheets also show you Euro Retail. In fact the one in the first post of this thread shows Euro Retail and confirms this .93 of US Retail.

For example
- on a US 535i US Retail is 55100. US Invoice is 55100*.92=50692-->round up to 50695 US INVOICE. (Sonic's instructions for US INVOICE)
- Euro retail is .93*55100=51295 (same as first post shows). Euro Invoice is then 0.92*51295 = 47191.4-->round up to 47195.

Now for options/packages Euro retail is same as US Retail and you get Euro Invoice of options/packages for the same 0.91 times this. So for the M Sport Pkg on a 535i, $3150*.91=2866.5-->rounded to $2870 (just like it is on US Invoice).

For Euro Delivery invoice, you still pay the $925 Destination & Handling
However, you don't have MACO or Training Fees in Euro Invoice like you do in US Invoice.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gator_Bimmer; 09-16-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominikB View Post
Individual Composition is not just cosmetic per se.

It includes the Merino individual leather, which separately is $2500.

I've had Merino sheep leather before and it's nothing like rough Dakota, Nevada or synthetic Nappa. Plus with alcantara headliner, it's exceptional to touch, creates a completely different atmosphere in the car and makes it feel like a $1 million Rolls Royce.

But of course it's subjective.

Nappa and Merino are the same quality real leather - just different colors and coverage for Merino - god only knows where you heard the Nappa is synthetic - garbage info.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Loving my car.

Send a message via Skype™ to lib
Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
No, you're reading it right. I spoke to BMW today and got a confirmation.

If you want the 550i with a manual, CALL BMW AND LET THEM KNOW. The only reason there is an M5 with a stick is customer feedback. I'm hoping for the same outcome from us 550i/6-speed drivers.
I dread the day I part with my manual transmission. I held onto my car for a while because I wanted to see what the F10 would offer for manuals - I badly want to move into an M.

My wife and I are starting a family, so the M5 won't happen for a while..... I feel defeated by the computers - which of course do a great job... but it doesn't feel like I am driving otherwise.

The electronic steering of my X3 makes me think that perhaps BMW should just give us a fake clutch pedal to make us feel like we're still doing something there.......

Old 10-31-2013, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
A basic No-Line LCI 535i beats out the brand-newly motor'd E400 with Sports (or Avantgarde) package which is gonna come to the U.S in 2015 apparently as a replacement to the E550, so it's especially impressive for the 535i which is will likely be a cheaper car. It's especially impressive that the N55 pretty much puts up neck and neck numbers with the brand new TT V6 from M-B which again is *supposedly* going to replace the E550's V8TT.

Apparently they say the 5er: Has better interior quality (duh), better gearbox (duh). equally comfortable with better and sportier driving dynamics, has better seats (duh), has better steering feel (duh), and better handling (duh). Apparently the E gets better fuel economy though. Again, very impressive for a 535i which is supposed to compete with an E350 (and of course excels past it enough to where even an E400 won't compensate for the W212's inherent shortcomings to the F10).

Of course, this isn't an M Sport F10 so I'd expect the results of that to further weigh in the 5ers favor. Also of course, they have strong enough eyes to notice the 5ers design superiority over what is the (IMO) hapazard mess of a joke that is the E Class facelift "mashup" design.
An interesting article. It is really surprising how close are both cars. Obviously BMW is a leader, but it will cost you 5 grands more, and it is worth every penny. Since BMW is highly demanding car it is hard to find any configuration you may like out of a lot. Since I was a little short in time I stuck with E class. But I selected short term lease to switch to a bimmer soon. So I started reading the forum to get better knowledge of the car.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 550i
Re: Official Pricing and Ordering Guide for 5 Series (F10) Model Year 2014

So i placed an orderon dec 19/2013 for alpine white 550i (rwd) m-sport, exec pkg, cold weather pkg and lighting pkg. Got my production number the next day, and on web or phone says that it is scheduled for production, but no confirmed day yet. Any info on how long does it take for actual built to start, or maybe holidays pushing this on later date?

Sent from my VS980 4G using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-27-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniely30 View Post
So i placed an orderon dec 19/2013 for alpine white 550i (rwd) m-sport, exec pkg, cold weather pkg and lighting pkg. Got my production number the next day, and on web or phone says that it is scheduled for production, but no confirmed day yet. Any info on how long does it take for actual built to start, or maybe holidays pushing this on later date?

Your order should have a scheduled production week. Your Dealer can get that for you via an online order inquiry.
20/80 Highway/City

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 12-27-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 550i
Re: Official Pricing and Ordering Guide for 5 Series (F10) Model Year 2014

I spoke to dealer, they have nothing. Its code 112