Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
Newbie to Bimmerfest

Hey guys,

I am a newbie to Bimmerfest and recently acquired a 2009 BMW X3. I've lurked the forums for a few weeks before purchasing. Here's just a few questions I have. The bimmer I got only had 16500 miles on it, well under the 50k. I have less than one month of the original warranty left with the option through BMW to extend to 6yrs./100k for $1850.00 (though I believe it is just the maint. plan). I have also been contacted by EasyCare via the dealership who offered an extended warranty for $2900 (5yrs/75k). My question is what's the difference and which is better? I already know EasyCare doesn't replace brakes, batteries, and other "consumable items," whereas the BMW plan does. Would I actually see a return on investment in purchasing these warranties?

Secondly, I'm no mechanic, but am somewhat capable of doing minor work (oil changes) on my other car. Are brake jobs for the X3 really that intrusive? It looks like something manageable so I can save some $$$. I already took the X3 into the dealership to get it looked at and address two issues (seat belt sensor and vapor barrier) while its still under the warranty.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by recon_tim View Post
Would I actually see a return on investment in purchasing these warranties?

Are brake jobs for the X3 really that intrusive? It looks like something manageable so I can save some $$$.
If it could be predicted with any certainty that you would get a R.O.I. they wouldn't be selling those insurance policies at that price.

Anyway, you shouldn't have to be concerned about brake replacement for another 50K miles or so.
Maybe an annual brake service to make sure everything is working as it should, including the parking brake.
And a brake fluid flush every 2 years.

Low miles is nice, but you might need to keep an eye on things if it didn't get annual oil changes. (Service record should show at least 3, maybe 4 oil services.)

Hope vapor barrier issue was properly fixed with new parts if it was damaged during dent removal or window winder repair.

You are on the right track coming to this forum in becoming able to know how to do your own maintenance and repairs.

Personally I wouldn't go for the service package or the 3rd. party warranty but I wouldn't want to advise you and then you have an expensive repair, like the electric water pump fail.

Others will have different advice.

Sounds like a good find. Enjoy it.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the info bro. Indeed, it was a rare find... gotta love old ladies who trade in their grocery-getters while still under warranty lol
Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Evil cider brewer

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
On our first Bimmer (E90 325i) we got the extended service plan. I got 3 oil changes, a set of wiper blades, brake fluid change, and 2 brake jobs out of the 3 years left on the plan, all things that I could have handled myself if I wasn't brand new to BMW's, and had taken the time to learn. We also had 3 repairs under warranty. When I bought the 335 as a CPO it had 2 years left on the warranty, but I decided that I will service the car myself and save the money and the head-ache of trips to the dealer. There is so much good DIY info for these cars on the internet now!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 AM

Agreed bighorns, I have found youtube videos for just about every DIY project I would want to embark on lol