Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0
New 2007 X3 owner, need to upgrade radio/nav...

Greetings all, My name is Scott and I just inherited a 2007 X3, which I love so far.

I am sure this has been discussed, but I'd like your opinion on the latest and greatest way to accomplish the following upgrades which the vehicle does not currently have;
Navigation
Bluetooth (for hands free phone, audio)
USB port (for charging, iphone interface, MP3 playback via flash drive)

I like things to be cleanly installed, so I am searching for interface parts, etc. too.

Thanks in advance!
SDS
Ads by Google
Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
As I stated in another thread I just purchased a 2007 X3. It does not have Nav. The following are my thought with respect to your questions but only with the limited knowledge of a couple of days research.

- It appears possible to retro-fit the car with a nav system. However, it is my opinion the cost of the parts and the enormous amount of work to install it are just not justified in a six year old car. Also, the six year old Nav system will be far from what is available now. I am going to use a garmin Nuvi mounted in the lidded storage tray where the factory Nav interface would normally go.

- I have gotten spoiled by my other vehicles recognizing my iPhone via Bluetooth and automatically connecting to it to allow handsfree calls. A company called Bavarian Soundwerks markets a black box they call a Dice Mediabridge for $270. I called them today and it will provide hands free Bluetooth connected called. The radio and associated display is used to answer calls. Pushing the steering wheel voice activation button will allow using Siri to call numbers out of the phones directory.

- The car already comes with an Aux jack behind the console. This solves playing audio from the iPhione through the cars audio system. However, the media bridge will also handle audio from the iPhone using a bluetooth interface and the factory radio.

- I recently saw a cigarette lighter power plug that does not extend beyond the top of the cigarette lighter socket. It has a USB connector built in that is intended to be used for charging.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM

From what I understand, with the Dice Mediabridge (now sold by Audiovox, not Dice) the factory radio has to be on AUX mode or other...this means you cannot listen to the radio or CD and have that automatically interrupted by an incoming phone call. That's a deal breaker for me.

I am with you on not spending alot of $ on a 7 year old vehicle...I had an Alpine receiver in my Toyota Camry which I got at Best Buy for $138. It had Bluetooth phone and audio, a USB port and an auxiliary out. The phone sound was great and I had no complaints about the unit. I am thinking of getting a dash install kit and installing this in my X3. I am interested in the tray that replaces the small compartment in the middle of the dash - it seems as if i have seen 2 different factory BMW styles (one with a small "ball joint" mount and one with a dock that looks like an iphone dock).

I don't want to jump into buying anything and later find-out that there was abetter solution...I certainly would like to be able to use the controls on the steering wheel. Maybe the BMW dash-top tray adapter with a Garmin Nuvi, the BMW Bluetooth interface and the factory radio is what I need?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 OSi 3.0 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
It appears possible to retro-fit the car with a nav system. However, it is my opinion the cost of the parts and the enormous amount of work to install it are just not justified in a six year old car. Also, the six year old Nav system will be far from what is available now. I am going to use a garmin Nuvi mounted in the lidded storage tray where the factory Nav interface would normally go.
I agree. I have factory nav, but I keep a Nuvi in the car simply because it has traffic and there is no factory option for this. I wish there was a better upgrade path for Nav -- seem silly there isn't an option to upgrade this feature. The stock NAV is dated, but works.

Quote:
I have gotten spoiled by my other vehicles recognizing my iPhone via Bluetooth and automatically connecting to it to allow handsfree calls. A company called Bavarian Soundwerks markets a black box they call a Dice Mediabridge for $270. I called them today and it will provide hands free Bluetooth connected called. The radio and associated display is used to answer calls. Pushing the steering wheel voice activation button will allow using Siri to call numbers out of the phones directory.
You are brave for using Siri

Quote:
I recently saw a cigarette lighter power plug that does not extend beyond the top of the cigarette lighter socket. It has a USB connector built in that is intended to be used for charging.
That's what I use, specifically http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I don't like that it has an LED and I have to unplug it, but it does work and the ashtray will close with it in place.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:52 AM

mchova01, I had to chuckle at all two of your comments above. (This post will add nothing useful to this thread so those not interested can stop reading now)

We also have a Lexus Rx350 (I hate the damn thing). It has the factory $2,400 Nav system. As soon as the vehicle gets underway, the nav system locks itself out from all but some very minimal operations. When my wife and I take road trips we cannot use it to find restaurants and hotels unless I pull over and come to a complete stop. I did install a sort of override device but it only provides minimal and difficult to use additional functionality. As a result, we too keep a Garmin GPS on the dashboard. The RX350 also handles terribly (very bouncy and leans excessively). Mainly because of the Nav and handling, Lexus is no longer on my approved vendors list.

I hate Siri. Let me say it again: I hate Siri. I have an iPhone 5 and DO NOT use Siri. My wife insists on using the patronizing but useless bitch all the time and it drives me nuts hearing her keep repeating her queries and getting inane responses in that ever so annoying voice. I am an easy going guy but hearing my wife use Siri brings out the worst in me.

BAKX3, thank you for that heads up about the aux input. That's a deal breaker for me too if I cannot listen to the radio or CD and have an incomming call automatically interrupt it. I also am now somewhat put off by Soundwerks. I called them yesterday to verify that the device I referenced clearly will provide a bluetooth connected hands free function. I asked specific questions with regards to how it worked and the interface with the radio with respect to the controls and display. I was obviously not smart enough to think of the point you made and, as a result, nothing was said. I am going to call them back today to verify that.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
I might add that your X3 is prewired for Bluetooth (mic and antennae) and you can purchase a TCU or ULF and pairing button off Ebay or Bimmernav.

http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_X3_Blue...tructions.html
Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalfee View Post
I might add that your X3 is prewired for Bluetooth (mic and antennae) and you can purchase a TCU or ULF and pairing button off Ebay or Bimmernav.

http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_X3_Blue...tructions.html
Seems like the A#1 solution...l like it.
Have you used or installed this? If so, any problems or hitches?

After doing some research, I wonder why the Bimmernav kits have ULF modules versus TCU? Any idea?

Last edited by BAKX3; 05-21-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 AM

Just talked to Soundwerks about their Dice Mediabridge. BAKX3 is correct, unless the radio is in Aux, their black box is not even eneergized. Well, thats now off the list.

I am going to explore the TCU/ULF modules referred to above but I am starting out knowing nothing about them. Looks like they might restore full factory functionality but I bet the cost is very high.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Infamous06

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw x3 3.0i
ok you can by the http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavin...3/dynavin-e83/ which has the pop up nav, bluetooth, and etc.. buts its a waste of cash. you have nav on your phone nowdays, bluetooth is a waste just put the phone on speaker and sit it in your lap. or get a aux cord plug it up , and when you have a call it plays threw your speakers..... aux is my favorite mod to my x3

Black
Mans
Whip
Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkpt View Post
ok you can by the http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavin...3/dynavin-e83/ which has the pop up nav, bluetooth, and etc.. buts its a waste of cash. you have nav on your phone nowdays, bluetooth is a waste just put the phone on speaker and sit it in your lap. or get a aux cord plug it up , and when you have a call it plays threw your speakers..... aux is my favorite mod to my x3
Dynavin navigation is klugie, not easy to use and robust routing like a Garmin.

I know I can use the AUX port, but there again...no interruption of radio when the phone rings, no phone ringing/hands off if the stereo is not on in AUX position. While a cheap alternative, not a solution for me. Besides, the navigation on an iphone SUCKS moose anatomy. Nothing like functioning BT and a good nav system.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 AM

I just realized the new 2007 X3 came with the "Premium Package" and that includes "Bluetooth wireless technology for hands free calling ...". I guess I will have the factory version of what I am looking for and nothing else is needed. I just bought the car a few days ago but have not had my hands on it yet because I am in NY and the car and my home are in Florida. I will be back home in about three weeks and then I will figure out what is actually sitting in my driveway.

"sucks moose anatomy" - I have not heard that before but poor Bullwinkle.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKX3 View Post
Seems like the A#1 solution...l like it.
Have you used or installed this? If so, any problems or hitches?

After doing some research, I wonder why the Bimmernav kits have ULF modules versus TCU? Any idea?
I purchased a generation 13 (the latest) ULF off of Ebay. I purchased an aftermarket pairing button from Bimmernav for around $15. The TCU is cheaper and you don't need a pairing button. The difference is the TCU works with BMW Assist but doesn't have the voice commands (unless you have it coded).
Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalfee View Post
I purchased a generation 13 (the latest) ULF off of Ebay. I purchased an aftermarket pairing button from Bimmernav for around $15. The TCU is cheaper and you don't need a pairing button. The difference is the TCU works with BMW Assist but doesn't have the voice commands (unless you have it coded).
Do you have to hit the pairing button every time you get in/out of the car or just once when you first installed it?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKX3 View Post
Do you have to hit the pairing button every time you get in/out of the car or just once when you first installed it?
Only when you're pairing a phone for the 1st time or you get a new phone. Here's a link to the manual. The button I have lives under the console tray.

http://www.carnationsoftware.com/car...lBluetooth.pdf
Old 05-21-2013, 06:48 PM

Legalfee, would you also have a reference to the X3 "Owner's Manual for Radio/Onboard Computer"?

Interestingly the 2007 E83 X3 owners manual is a readily available download from multiple sites including BMW. However, I have not been able to find the manual for the radio. If you have a reference to the radio manual it would certainly be appreciated.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Legalfee, would you also have a reference to the X3 "Owner's Manual for Radio/Onboard Computer"?

Interestingly the 2007 E83 X3 owners manual is a readily available download from multiple sites including BMW. However, I have not been able to find the manual for the radio. If you have a reference to the radio manual it would certainly be appreciated.
Here's a link:

http://ebookbrowse.com/owners-manual...pdf-d263052834
Old 02-21-2014, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto:
Tried looking for the manual for the x3 I can't seem to find it

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-21-2014, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
http://www.irvinebmw.com/usr/theme/i...ers_Manual.pdf
http://www.irvinebmw.com/usr/theme/i...ers_Manual.pdf