Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 323is/'70 TR6 PI
Is HK in 330i same as HK in 325i?

I'm talking sedans here, and I know HK is standard in the 330i. But is the "standard" HK in the 330i really the same as the optional HK in the 325i? If this has been covered before, I apologize for posting again--just couldn't find it via search.
Thanks!
-Jim
Ads by Google
Old 08-21-2004, 09:13 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
yes
Old 08-21-2004, 09:15 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
but not in the zhp, zhp gets +10W more than the 330/325.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW

OK thanks. Just making sure as I'm going to be deciding on HK vs. non-HK today (for my ED order), and wanted to make sure that if I listen to a 330i HK system that it would be the same as the 325i.
Thanks again...
Old 08-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Waiting for the 135i!

Mein Auto: 550 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H
OK thanks. Just making sure as I'm going to be deciding on HK vs. non-HK today (for my ED order), and wanted to make sure that if I listen to a 330i HK system that it would be the same as the 325i.
Thanks again...
They both suck. Don't get the HK or if you do, make them pay YOU for it! Save your money for an aftermarket system. The HK system is pathetic, horrible trash. Please pardon me for not being more straightforward with my opinion. I'm a pretty shy person.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan
They both suck. Don't get the HK or if you do, make them pay YOU for it! Save your money for an aftermarket system. The HK system is pathetic, horrible trash. Please pardon me for not being more straightforward with my opinion. I'm a pretty shy person.
i agree with kurichan, the HK is decent but it sucks when it comes to rock music or any type of heavy bass music...

and i love my rock music.. hehe
Old 08-21-2004, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kars
i agree with kurichan, the HK is decent but it sucks when it comes to rock music or any type of heavy bass music...

and i love my rock music.. hehe

I know, and I've been down this road before. It's just that I have a 1970 Triumph that is the car I love to work on all the time. And while I expect to do a few little things with my new 3er (maybe clears, ICElink...), I would PREFER to have my 325i sound system be done (except for my ipod), when I pick it up in Munich. So the question I'll be asking myself when I check out the systems today is:

Can I live with the HK system?
- If yes, then I'm done.
- If no, then I'll get the non-HK and modify it. I just would prefer to not have to do this.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
the HK system really depends on the type of music you play on it....
for me, i like heavy bass rock music and for that, the HK system is really not up to the task and freaking tweeters always rattle...
but if you play classical music and jazz... that type of relaxed music, then the HK system is good with great sounds....

so it really depends on what type of music you play.....

if you don't listen to heavy bass music... then i think the HK system is alright...
i'll leave you to your decision.... hahaha....

Last edited by kars; 08-21-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kars
the HK system really depends on the type of music you play on it....
for me, i like heavy bass rock music and for that, the HK system is really not up to the task and freaking tweeters always rattle...
but if you play classical music and jazz... that type of relaxed music, then the HK system is good with great sounds....

so it really depends on what type of music you play.....

if you don't listen to heavy bass music... then i think the HK system is alright...
i'll leave you to your decision.... hahaha....
I am a musician myself, and I'm guessing I will not be happy with the HK. However, I'm gonna give it a try with a few of my favorite CDs, and see what happens. I'll definitely report back here.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:08 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW

The hk sucks in the zhp too, trust me I know
Old 08-21-2004, 03:13 PM

OK, I did a LOT of listening today. I brought 6-7 CDs that I'm very familiar with, so I'd have a reference as to what things should sound like. I listened to in a 325i non-HK and a 330i, and went back and forth many times.

First of all, both systems' radio tuners sound like crap, and they both sound a lot better with CDs. The non-HK sounded better than I expected with the CD in it, because I'd only listened to it previously through FM.

The HK wasn't as much better than the non-HK as I expected. The difference was only noticable on very particular CDs with really deep bass. The DSP button, or whatever it's called, only came on for long enough for me to know it sounds AWFUL, so I left it off.

All that said, the HK did indeed sound better than the non-HK, even though it's not as nice as I'd like. So I picked HK. I'd really like to not have to mod the stereo, so I'll give it a shot this way. We'll see how it goes. The extra money is worth it to me, even if it means I don't have to do mods for a few years.

So there it is. Thanks for your help everyone...