Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-20-2013, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: F10
Do I need a lemon law Lawyer???

2012 BMW F10 528i. Started having problems about 9 months into my lease at 11,000 miles. Took it in the first time for service, fuel gauge not reading full, camera issues and DSC light coming on. They did the service, said the fuel gauge was fine, nothing with the camera, and said no faults for the DSC light coming on. Then took car in again about two weeks later for fuel gauge issue, and DSC light and air bag warning light. This time, they replaced the sender, and contacted PUMA, there engineer helps line, and did a fluid level check for the DSC light because of some faults. Then gave me the car back. DSC light came on again and airbag warning light three weeks later and this time the shop foreman worked on it and found a wiring grounding out at the driver kick panel. Now two weeks later the Air bag warning lamp is on again after my Fiance moved her seat back and down. Light wont go off and car is back in the shop. The has been down total of 21 days, in three times for DSC light, 2 times for fuel gauge, 3 times for Air bag light. Do I need an attorney at this point or just contact bmw NA. I have read on here that you can't have a case open with BMW na by yourself and then have an Attorney. This car is not safe to drive anymore and my fiance won't ride in it. What should I do????
Please, any advice from people who know about this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_2012F10 View Post
2012 BMW F10 528i. Started having problems about 9 months into my lease at 11,000 miles. Took it in the first time for service, fuel gauge not reading full, camera issues and DSC light coming on. They did the service, said the fuel gauge was fine, nothing with the camera, and said no faults for the DSC light coming on. Then took car in again about two weeks later for fuel gauge issue, and DSC light and air bag warning light. This time, they replaced the sender, and contacted PUMA, there engineer helps line, and did a fluid level check for the DSC light because of some faults. Then gave me the car back. DSC light came on again and airbag warning light three weeks later and this time the shop foreman worked on it and found a wiring grounding out at the driver kick panel. Now two weeks later the Air bag warning lamp is on again after my Fiance moved her seat back and down. Light wont go off and car is back in the shop. The has been down total of 21 days, in three times for DSC light, 2 times for fuel gauge, 3 times for Air bag light. Do I need an attorney at this point or just contact bmw NA. I have read on here that you can't have a case open with BMW na by yourself and then have an Attorney. This car is not safe to drive anymore and my fiance won't ride in it. What should I do????
Please, any advice from people who know about this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Contact the dealership - they may be willing to do the right thing, like swap you into a new car. If that doesn't work, write a letter to the dealership GM and send a copy to BMWNA. If neither helps, research your state's Lemon Law, you may get help or at least clear guidelines on how to proceed from a state website. If all fails - then get an attorney - not sure who has to pay for it... My car got swapped at step 2 - letter to GM with a copy to BMWNA.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Write a nice and concerning letter to BMW NA Customer Relations along with all copies of your service invoices relating to the repeated issues you stated. We did this for our E60 and they ended up buying our car back. That said, it doesn't guarantee anything since each situation is different. I do know that BMW NA is very responsive with these issues relating to vehicle safety and they will get in touch with you.

As for an attorney, that may cost you more than what the vehicle is worth.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Do a google for your states lemon laws.

Examples from Washington State lemon law brochure.

1) "What Will Arbitration Cost?

You paid a $3.00 Lemon Law Arbitration fee with the other licensing fee when purchasing or leasing your new motor vehicle in Washington. Arbitration is available to consumers and manufacturers at no additional cost."

2) "What is a Reasonable Number of Repair Attempts?

A "reasonable number of attempts" for most eligible vehicles when one or more of the following have occurred:
1. Diagnosis or repair of the same "serious safety defect" has been attempted two* or more times (with at least one during the "eligibility period") and the defect continues to exist;
2. Diagnosis or repair of the same "nonconformity" has been attempted four* or more times (with at least one during the "warranty period") and the defect continues to exist;
3. A vehicle has been out-of-service for diagnosis or repair of one or more nonconformities or serious safety defects (whether or not repaired) for a cumulative total of 30* calendar days, with at least 15* of those days occurring during the "warranty period."
4. Within a twelve-month period, two or more different serious safety defects, each of which have been subject to diagnosis or repair one or more times, where at least one attempt for each serious safety defect occurs during the period of coverage of the
applicable manufacturer's written warranty and within the eligibility period."

3) "To start a Lemon Law claim

you must send the manufacturer a written request to repurchase or replace your defective vehicle. If your vehicle is a motor home see MOTOR HOMES for additional requirements. After receiving your written request to repurchase of replace, the manufacturer has 40 days to respond. A Request for Arbitration Form must be received by the Lemon Law Administration within 30 months of the vehicles' original retail delivery date whether or not the 40 day reply period has expired."

http://www.atg.wa.gov/uploadedFiles/...ure%204-09.pdf

This is probably the best way to start.

[QUOTE=Decboy;7599496]Write a nice and concerning letter to BMW NA Customer Relations along with all copies of your service invoices relating to the repeated issues you stated.[QUOTE]

Last edited by Norm37; 05-21-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM

delete

Last edited by Norm37; 05-21-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM

delete double post
Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
In my life experience, when somebody asks "do I need a lawyer?", the answer is invariably "yes".

And I am not a lawyer.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
It sounds like the interior became wet and the electronics are shorting out. Possibly the sun roof was left open and the interior became saturated with water. The odds of all those problems occurring are incredibly incredibly small.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 05-21-2013, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
I would talk to the service manager and make sure the general manager knows about it. you must convey to them how many defects there are, how many unresolved issues, and the amount of time that's bee spent on it. you are going to have to call BMW corporate. If the dealer wants to go to bat for you, they may initiate a *****back.

Times, dates, records all necessary. I don't think it would hurt for the research a lawyer. However BMW should want to keep you as a customer, so getting the service manager and general manager involved is important. Since a PUMA is in place, there should be some movement already. If they give you crap, just lawyer it. If you are willing for a replacement BMW, then they should be willing to help you out. If you want your money back, then it's probably lemon lawyer time. Good luck!