Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
possible resolution to my Bluetooth issues with Droid

One thing that frustrated me to no end was how quirky BMW has been with regard to pairing phones and streaming audio. It seems only BMW has this issue. Last week I was in a rental crap car (tiny Toyota go kart) and was able to pair my phone and stream without issues. Works on my wife's car and two other cars I test drove (including the Audi A6)

This was such a sticking point for me that I almost didn't take delivery of my 2013 535xi. Finally after spending countless hours at the dealership and leaving the car for another day so the mechanics could troubleshoot the dealer convinced me that I'd have my car longer than the phone and tossed in an extra $200 so I could buy another phone. Sadly, I can't upgrade my phone at the moment on my company paid phone plan. So.. I've been struggling with this since Dec 2012.

About a month or so ago my Droid 4 upgraded to Jellybean. For the first time SMS messages appeared on my BMW iDrive. (woot!)

I've tried upgrading the iDrive software twice now with no success on getting streaming audio to work. Playing music through Google Play or the built in audio app works fine, but Pandora or Tunein or any other music app does not stream music. Interesting enough, the iDrive controller advances songs in Pandora.. just can't hear anything.

After the last update of BMW software a couple weeks ago, I was shocked when Pandora played right after I updated the software. As luck would have it, I haven't been able to get it to work since.

Remaining frustrated but not giving up hope, I decided to spend some time going through trial and error trouble shooting. After a couple days of trying I was able to get Pandora and all other music apps to play. It's quirky, but this is the only thing that works.

Must follow these steps exactly.

Only happens when you initially turn on the car.
Make sure Bluetooth is OFF on the phone.
Start car, click Media button and go to the Connection screen
Start Pandora on the phone. Once it starts playing you must hit Pause.
Turn On bluetooth on phone (Pandora must be in paused mode)
Quickly switch back to Pandora to ensure the app is still paused.
On the iDrive click the Connection for the Droid 4 phone and force the pairing connection (do not let the iDrive pair by itself)
Once the phone is paired, click on that connection and immediately Pandora starts playing which you can hear through the car.

During the rest of my trips during the day, if I just turn off my car while Pandora is still playing it automatically goes into Pause mode on the app. When I get back to the car and start it up, Bluetooth automatically pairs and the music automatically starts where I left off.

Kludgy.. indeed! But now I've got my Professor Longhair station going anytime I want.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 550 XI M CARBON
possible resolution to my Bluetooth issues with Droid

Can anyone tell me if text messaging and e-mail works on a 2011 5 series? Seems like it did work then it stopped? I'm unable to get a straight answer from anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
Test messaging works for me. Email does not. Using Iphone4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad wool View Post
Can anyone tell me if text messaging and e-mail works on a 2011 5 series? Seems like it did work then it stopped? I'm unable to get a straight answer from anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-22-2013, 06:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
As I'm about to retrofit (limited) 6NR functionality into my car (having iPhone 5 and the snap-in adapter), I'm deeply interested with what else I can gain (apart from some Apps). Therefore, would you mind asking to elaborate on step-by-step instruction for replying/creating SMSes?

Currently, I can read in SMSes into my iDrive's Office environment, have them read out loud, use the sender's phone number to call him, or delete them - but that's about it. I also can record my own voice memo, but lack a way to send it

Last edited by MoldCAD; 05-22-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
That's about all I can do as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldCAD View Post
Currently, I can read in SMSes into my iDrive's Office environment, have them read out loud, use the sender's phone number to call him, or delete them - but that's about it. I also can record my own voice memo, but lack a way to send it
Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Msport
To the OP: you are correct when you point out that BMW's implementation of bluetooth media streaming isn't as robust as other brands. However, much of your connectivity issues have nothing to do with the car and everything to do with the type of phone you are using and whether that phone has the requisite bluetooth MAP protocol files. For example, for Samsung galaxy phones, going into the settings and stopping the bluetooth "pbap" service from running, instantly resolved all connectivity issues for me (sprint samsung galaxy s2 on jellybean 4.1.2). So even though you believe to have found a startup sequence that works for you, I think your bluetooth problems lie more with the bluetooth services are running on your phone at the time of pairing. If you somehow correctly identify the offending service or setting and disable or enable it, then I think you would be able to dispense with the quirky start up sequence. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Raoul Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkthght View Post
To the OP: you are correct when you point out that BMW's implementation of bluetooth media streaming isn't as robust as other brands. However, much of your connectivity issues have nothing to do with the car and everything to do with the type of phone you are using and whether that phone has the requisite bluetooth MAP protocol files. For example, for Samsung galaxy phones, going into the settings and stopping the bluetooth "pbap" service from running, instantly resolved all connectivity issues for me (sprint samsung galaxy s2 on jellybean 4.1.2). So even though you believe to have found a startup sequence that works for you, I think your bluetooth problems lie more with the bluetooth services are running on your phone at the time of pairing. If you somehow correctly identify the offending service or setting and disable or enable it, then I think you would be able to dispense with the quirky start up sequence. Good luck.
Good suggestions.

I started down that path months ago. On my phone - Verizon Droid 4 (not rooted) there doesn't seem to be a way to get to that granularity of the BT services running, even using 3rd party tools. There are only a couple bluetooth services and killing any one of them tends to nuke BT altogether. I've also tried a couple different BT toolkits available online with no luck. If there's some other way to monitor which services are being used when the pairing occurs I'm happy to try.

The one thing I did not try is wiping/resetting my phone back to factory specs to see if things worked before I started piling on the apps.

Going back to your comment about being an issue with the phone vs. the car, I agree... mostly. What doesn't make sense is when many other auto manufacturers have zero issues with this phone, only the BMW has been trouble.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 530xd Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
Good suggestions.

I started down that path months ago. On my phone - Verizon Droid 4 (not rooted) there doesn't seem to be a way to get to that granularity of the BT services running, even using 3rd party tools. There are only a couple bluetooth services and killing any one of them tends to nuke BT altogether. I've also tried a couple different BT toolkits available online with no luck. If there's some other way to monitor which services are being used when the pairing occurs I'm happy to try.

The one thing I did not try is wiping/resetting my phone back to factory specs to see if things worked before I started piling on the apps.

Going back to your comment about being an issue with the phone vs. the car, I agree... mostly. What doesn't make sense is when many other auto manufacturers have zero issues with this phone, only the BMW has been trouble.
Indeed good suggestions and a good follow-up. I've also had an issue with my Galaxy S3 but streaming isn't it (works great), only the internet connection. I have the "Internet prepared" option (614) but all I get from my one month old 2013 F11 is "no data connection available". Having tried a number of things that I've asked / found on here (e.g. enable "Bluetooth Tethering" - didn't help), I'd kind of given up... Looking forward to trying the above later to see what happens!

However, the instructions I've seen here (and other forums) aren't as detailed as they could be for non-techies so just to be precise (i.e. for others who can't find the service when looking):

- Bluetooth first needs to be turned on
- From Settings, select Application manager / Running / Bluetooth Share.
- Tap on "Bluetooth Share", screen with 3 services will come up.
- This is where the "BluetoothPbapService" will show up!
- "Stop" this service.

Note that this service will keep restarting itself every time Bluetooth is (re)started, not only at phone reset (which I've seen written elsewhere). It'll be a pain for people like me who generally run with Bluetooth off to conserve battery (only enable when needed) but if it works, I'll be very happy!

Gary
Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gxprice View Post
Indeed good suggestions and a good follow-up. I've also had an issue with my Galaxy S3 but streaming isn't it (works great), only the internet connection. I have the "Internet prepared" option (614) but all I get from my one month old 2013 F11 is "no data connection available". Having tried a number of things that I've asked / found on here (e.g. enable "Bluetooth Tethering" - didn't help), I'd kind of given up... Looking forward to trying the above later to see what happens!

However, the instructions I've seen here (and other forums) aren't as detailed as they could be for non-techies so just to be precise (i.e. for others who can't find the service when looking):

- "Stop" this service.

Note that this service will keep restarting itself every time Bluetooth is (re)started, not only at phone reset (which I've seen written elsewhere). It'll be a pain for people like me who generally run with Bluetooth off to conserve battery (only enable when needed) but if it works, I'll be very happy!

Gary
I've gone through this up to the point where I stop the Pbap service, and then chickened out when I got the dire warning "If you stop this service, some features of your device may stop working correctly until you power it off and then on again."

Any insight into what bad things might happen??
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Raoul Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxprice View Post

- "Stop" this service.
Thanks for the info. I found the service and have yet to try it. Unbelievably, the Droid 4 is now working fine streaming audio no matter what I do. Gotta love buggy systems.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
I've gone through this up to the point where I stop the Pbap service, and then chickened out when I got the dire warning "If you stop this service, some features of your device may stop working correctly until you power it off and then on again."

Any insight into what bad things might happen??

Nothing whatsoever. I do it all the time and it allows my galaxys2 to connect to the car via bluetooth. text messages, music streaming, phone book, and phone calls all work. The only drawback, as mentioned earlier, is that you have to stop the pbab service every time you turn off bluetooth on the phone (i.e. restart phone or switch bt off).
Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 530xd Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkthght View Post
Nothing whatsoever. I do it all the time and it allows my galaxys2 to connect to the car via bluetooth. text messages, music streaming, phone book, and phone calls all work. The only drawback, as mentioned earlier, is that you have to stop the pbab service every time you turn off bluetooth on the phone (i.e. restart phone or switch bt off).
Yes, agree. Nothing untoward happens so no risk to the phone or your settings etc...

Following from my note yesterday, I tried the trick yesterday evening and still couldn't get Internet to work (stationary). As has been mentioned to me on here before though; others have tried with the S2, S3 and S4 - Internet is not possible!

Time to purchase an "in-car", dedicated, iphone 4 just for the Internet. Once my coding is done, I (or more specifically, my passengers) should be able to watch DVD's as well as surf on the go
Old 05-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Raoul Duke

Now I can't get my phone to stream audio via BT no matter what I do.. including shutting down the Bpap service. Suck!