Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-22-2013, 03:22 AM

Mein Auto: Accord 2007
Any idea if the Throttle response delay solved in the new 2014 faceleft

Hi All,

Do you have any idea if the issue of the Throttle Response Delay or gap is solved in the new 5 series 2014. I am planing to buy the 530i or 535i. But, if I were sure that the issue has been resolved.
Ads by Google
Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Of course there's no info on that. BMW has never admitted any throttle delay to begin with.

To me, the 2013 models have solved it. In Comfort Mode you will feel a bit, but IMO it is by design as Mercedes does the same thing.... it's just like that for smooth and luxurious takeoff.

In Sport Mode I experience the opposite of throttle delay.... the throttle is almost ahead of what I do, like it knows I'm about to press it and has already reacted. Not really, but IMO no throttle delay whatsoever in Sport.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Of course there's no info on that. BMW has never admitted any throttle delay to begin with.

To me, the 2013 models have solved it. In Comfort Mode you will feel a bit, but IMO it is by design as Mercedes does the same thing.... it's just like that for smooth and luxurious takeoff.

In Sport Mode I experience the opposite of throttle delay.... the throttle is almost ahead of what I do, like it knows I'm about to press it and has already reacted. Not really, but IMO no throttle delay whatsoever in Sport.
Not in the 2013 I drove.

You want to avoid it? Order SAT. Likely you won't have it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 AM
Dark Knight

Yeah I have SAT. Maybe that's why I don't feel it at all in my car. Comfort Mode, maybe a bit, but no more than the Mercedes I had, which I feel is by design for smoother takeoff. In Sport, no lag whatsoever with my SAT car.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Funny how some of you guys expect us to predict the future about the 2014 F10 that isn't even produced yet lol

Likewise my 2013 with SAT does not have any throttle lag in sport mode.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 05-22-2013, 06:25 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Unfortunately, I still have it in my 528xi (build date: Oct 25, 2012). And - opposite to what K-A says - I actually hate it more in Sport/Sport+ modes than in Comfort, as it's more 'counter-intuitive' when I really want my car to obey It usually does, but - even when using paddles and the SAT in M/S - I have to wait split second after flooring the gas pedal and before the car reacts furiously. BTW - this is a proof it really is a throttle delay, and not a tranny hesitation about which gear to engage (the latter happens too, but that's sort of understandable - a car cannot read one's mind - and can be worked-around by skillfully operating the (S)AT and gas pedal).

Using the 'luxury sedan incarnation' of my F10 (i..e. driving nice and easy, like when I have my wife and/or daughter on board) I don't even expect sudden accelerations as I never floor the gas pedal as quickly as I do in Sport mode, so it bothers me less.

Last edited by MoldCAD; 05-22-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04

I had a loaner 2013 528 and it felt lazy in comfort mode, but then I had a 2013 x3 2.8i and it felt amazing. Absolutely no delay in comfort and it had about 4k miles. I was so impressed and felt like there is hope!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldCAD View Post
Unfortunately, I still have it in my 528xi (build date: Oct 25, 2012). And - opposite to what K-A says - I actually hate it more in Sport/Sport+ modes than in Comfort, as it's more 'counter-intuitive' when I really want my car to obey It usually does, but - even when using paddles and the SAT in M/S - I have to wait split second after flooring the gas pedal and before the car reacts furiously. BTW - this is a proof it really is a throttle delay, and not a tranny hesitation about which gear to engage (the latter happens too, but that's sort of understandable - a car cannot read one's mind - and can be worked-around by skillfully operating the (S)AT and gas pedal).

Using the 'luxury sedan incarnation' of my F10 (i..e. driving nice and easy, like when I have my wife and/or daughter on board) I don't even expect sudden accelerations as I never floor the gas pedal as quickly as I do in Sport mode, so it bothers me less.
You should definitely go back to the dealer and get the software updated (there is one released this year). It will help with the throttle delay, but I still don't find it perfect.

Meanwhile, you can do the adaptive reset procedure (search). It does help, but the lag will come back again in a week or so.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i
My cars still a little new to comment, and as such, haven't had the chance to spirited driving as of yet. That said, for standard break in, I have not noticed any lag at all. Perhaps this is more where I was coming from; my previous A4 was FWD and CVT. The RWD and 'regular' transmission already give this car a substantially better feel (plus all the other benefits).

Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Fplanner2000

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix Mpkge,etc; RRv
I have a 2011 550ix. If I ever had any sort of throttle delay, it might have been for literally a fraction of a second. Funny thing - now that I have the Dinan 2 software upgrade, such "delay" seems to have disappeared... I just sayin..... :-)
550ix, Dark Graphite Metallic II, M-package, Dinan Stage 2, 20" wheels, conven pkge, cold weather pkge, Prem Pkge 2, Paddle Shifters, vent seat pkge, sport transm pkge, fold-dn rear seat, etc. Black Dakota Leather, Light Wood trim
Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
Dont own an F10 but personally i think this is not really a problem, its just how BMW mapped the throttle.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDriving View Post
Dont own an F10 but personally i think this is not really a problem, its just how BMW mapped the throttle.
Exxxxactly. Mercedes does the EXACT thing. They do this so takeoff isn't so abrupt and harsh, though it comes with a downside, which is lagging throttle delay when you really need it to snap harshly. With BMW, however, at least in Sport Mode it's instantaneous, at least in my car.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:06 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Quote:
Exactly.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 05-25-2013, 02:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
In comfort mode and transmission in normal, I might notice a slight delay (in comp. to at 997.1 911 PDK). Even in Comfort with sport engaged (move the transmission lever) there might be extremely light delay on the 550. Move it to sport, and if your transmission is set to sport, there is note--i think if you move the lever to the right it even adds to experience) there is no delay. At this point, unless you clear off any type nanny gear, there is no delay. The car just moves. I know in my 550 there is no delay. The AWD system the 550 gets you there. This is not unlike Audi's Quattro. Quattro would have your to your point with less car-nanny. I don't see a delay with the 2013 550 xdrive. I will say I think the xdive does kick in when you need to hit it to get out in traffic. That's not a bad thing. I'd like to see how Audi's S6 compares though.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:19 AM

Guys, there are two delay / hesitation / issues.

1. From takeoff.
2. Laggy response while underway.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Guys, there are two delay / hesitation / issues.

1. From takeoff.
2. Laggy response while underway.
What is the difference?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
The thing with this problem is that it does not happen across the board with all F10s. If your car does not have the lag, you will have no idea what we're experiencing. It was bad enough to make me feel that the car is unsafe to drive as the lag is unpredictable sometimes.

Last edited by douggie; 05-25-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javagenius View Post
What is the difference?

1. Feels like driving with a beginner learning to drive a clutch when you start off from a stop.

2. Very hesitant to accelerate while under a roll.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:22 AM

It seems that the problem disappears when I put the car in the sport mode.... The question is: if I choose to drive the car in sport mode always forever ,,, will this affect or impact the car?

Old 05-25-2013, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: RX350
Just got my '11 528i back from annual service, complained of laggy throttle tip-in and they performed some kind of throttle map programming miracle. It starts off from rest like any other car now, and has actually become fun to drive again.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Exxxxactly. Mercedes does the EXACT thing. They do this so takeoff isn't so abrupt and harsh, though it comes with a downside, which is lagging throttle delay when you really need it to snap harshly. With BMW, however, at least in Sport Mode it's instantaneous, at least in my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Exactly.
Spot on.
I still think its how BMW mapped the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javagenius View Post
It seems that the problem disappears when I put the car in the sport mode.... The question is: if I choose to drive the car in sport mode always forever ,,, will this affect or impact the car?
Aside from higher fuel consumption i dont think you will have any problems at all.
Just maintain your car properly and you should be fine.

Last edited by UltimateDriving; 05-25-2013 at 06:29 PM.