Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 135i convertible
BMW on the cheap....shame on you BMW

I've had my 135i convertible for 3 weeks. Love the car but do have gripes with BMW about the following, which I assume could easily be fixed by BMW if they gave a damn..

1) A ~$50k convertible sportscar without a wind deflector. Wind deflectors came with my 3 TT roadsters, my MB SLK and my Boxster. BMW...what a cheap thing to do. Pretty pathetic IMHO.

2) Speaking of pathetic, 12G of internal memory for the tech system? Cripes, you can buy a 64G USB drive for $30! Pathetic.

3) Finally, a rather serious gripe. The 128 and 135 converts definitely have a pretty bad blind spot for rear viewing. Other companies address this issue with a rear mounted camera. In the case of the Nissan Rouge (where rear view is also seriously compromised, the rear view is shown in a small window set in the rear view mirror. IMHO, to the uninitiated, the 128 and 135 are dangerous drives for those not familiar with this issue.

As I said, overall I really like the car....but cannot say that BMW as a company impresses me with any effort to go above and beyond what they absolutely have to do...which is something I've respected with other companies (the Rouge being one example, wind deflectors that cost very little and should be standard another).

Shame on you BMW..
Ads by Google
Old 05-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
Totally agreed with you on cost cutting but in the end BMW offered 4 years maintenance free of charge where other MFG will charge you extra for services.
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 05-23-2013, 09:55 AM

Yes, I had that issue with Audi...I think they are asking $790 for 4 or 5 year coverage/service on their cars versus it being "for free" as part of the purchase of a new car. A salesman told me that the main reason for this was because the dealerships wanted it sold seperately as they thought there would be more mooney in it for them versus Audi. I never thought much of it as with the last two Audi I bought, I asked for the price I wanted and then once there was an agreement on the price, said I would not buy the car without Audi Care added to the deal....got the maintenance package free both times.

When looking at SUVs a few years ago, I was horrified by the size of the Nissan Rogue back window (very tiny) but must say I was impressed by the dealership's solution (seeing as an obvious problem and liability risk (not to mention the many reviews of the car where the inability to see clearly out the back window was noted). ALl of the Rogues on the lot had this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-to-2012...-/360450531176

With respect to my 135i convert, I will look into installation of a rear camera....or take the cheaper route of better wide angle mirrors. The BMW folks are crazy for the design of the 1 series....just one mistake (not seeing the car next to you) can irreversibly affect your's or another person's life health-wise and legally, not to mention the potential for a class action suit against BMW.

In general, I see BMW as I see Apple...nice products but a company that hustles to make a nickel and really does not give a crap about their customers. Still laugh at all those iPODs with the hard wired battery....done that way so folks would have to buy a new iPOD versus a new battery and Apple could make more $$$.

BMW skimping on a few gigabits or a cheap (material-wise) screen for wind deflection....this company certainly has not earned my loyality.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
That's because you're missing the point of the BMW loyalists. It's got nothing to do with the number of GB you can put on the hard drive for music but about the experience of actually driving these cars. Believe me, I've driven a lot of cars in my life but I have stuck with BMW for the last few years simply because they drive like nothing else. Yes, the new F30 3-series has (in my opinion) somewhat missed the mark... but I'm still willing to take a look at the upcoming 2 series.

I've not driven a vert so I can't comment on the visibility... but I've driven verts from plenty of other manufacturers and without exception the rear and rear-quarter visibility is atrocious in all of them. Visibility out of my coupe is great and I've never had a problem of someone in my blind spot. But maybe that because unlike the way most Americans seem to be taught I don't position the side mirrors so I can see part of the car.

Here's how I set my mirrors; I put my head up against the drivers side glass and then adjust the mirror out until I can no longer see the car. Then I lean over into the passenger side and do the same again. It takes some getting used to after having the mirrors maladjusted... but it makes a huge difference. For the record, I was taught this by a rally car driver.

Oh and on the subject of the 12GB of disk space... yeah that's awful... but I haven't used any of mine. I just have my old iPhone 3GS (long since retired as a phone) semi-permanently attached to my car and it works phenomenally well. Who really cares about the internal space?
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 05-23-2013, 03:09 PM

I agree with you 100%.....I also have driven MANY cars (I have only kept a car for 3 years max in 40 years) and find the 135 to be an incredible drive!!! Speaking about Apple earlier, I am also very impressed with what they have to offer.....my post was more about nickel and dime silliness these companies do about the little things...a comment I still stand by (as what I said was true and obvious).

With respect to the blind spot. I know how to modify my habits to make sure I do not make a mistake, but would be concerned if my wife drove the car with the top up and definitely am concerned about "the other guy" with a crap view. One of the reasons Nissan made the rear view mod with the Rogue was concern about being sued by people who got smacked by a driver of a Rogue....the design flaw is obvious.

I agree that converts have the worst blind spots....and the 1 series definitely takes the prize IMHO. Have no opinion about the coup as in general, I do not drive coups (hate 'em). Having said all of this....MUCH thanks for taking the time to post your strategy for a good view. Considerate and much appreciated.

Again, a wind deflector not provided with a sports convert....yes, I repeat it is pathetic. Had one with 3 TT roadsters, an MB SLK and a Boxster S.....Audi even offered one with the S5 I was considering before deciding on the 135i. Fine if BMW does not care about brand loyality over the little things...I get it, but can crap on them just the same.

Cheers.

Geekapoo
Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 AM
135 Driver

Mein Auto: 135 Convertible

I have a 135 vert, and I agree the right side blind spot is a concern with the top up. BUT I know this, have my mirrors adjusted to the outside (as suggested in a previous comments) and double check before I change lanes.

My wife's car, however is another story. She drives a Honda Civic (till it wears out and I get her a Bimmer) and the blind spots on that thing are terrible. The heavily sloped A pillar blocks the side view up front, the B pillar blocks the side lane view to your side and the sloped C pillar hides SUV's. even a neck twisting double look an you still cant be sure of what's next to you.

My Bimmer may have a right side blind spot, but the left side, with its curved glass and no B pillar is the best I've ever driven.

Bottom line, know you blind spots, adjust your mirrors properly and when in doubt stomp on that right pedal and you'll easily get in front of anything next to you!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
Which is why I didn't buy the convertible. The rear visibility is terrible plus the car weighs 400 pounds more than the coupe plus cost about $4K more.

The odd couple!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestCS View Post
Which is why I didn't buy the convertible. The rear visibility is terrible plus the car weighs 400 pounds more than the coupe plus cost about $4K more.

LOL....sorry, but having driven a convert for the past 15 years (3 TT roadsters, 1 Boxster S and a MB SLK), I'm not about to go coupe anytime soon....would rather be driving a golf cart than a 135 coupe (or any other type of small hardtop/non-convert sports car). For me, convertibel = thrill of the road...that the 135 hauls A$$ is a bonus.

Cheers,

Geekapoo
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM
135 Driver

Mein Auto: 135 Convertible

I drove home today, top down, wind in my hair, listening to that beautiful exhaust note pouring out the back of my 135 vert...and guess what...no blind spots!!!

I win!!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 E39 M5
Quote:
Actually, it's only 331 pounds difference

Your point is well taken, but as mentioned above you can't beat the visibility and exhaust note with the top down, especially on a nice summer night.....
Old 06-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Bon Vivant!

I've got a Benz with a retractable hard top.

Convertibles are highly over rated, and I have owned several in my life. Most of the year you won't want to put the top down, because it'll just be too damn hot. With the Benz, I like early Spring and late Fall for putting the top down during the day. Another pleasure just about anytime of the year is top down driving at night.

A convertible sounds very glamorous, but there is also dark side. I have had my top slashed/sliced more than once and the car was even unlocked! You won't find it any fun getting it replaced. BTW, I recommend keep a convertible unlocked. You might save yourself some pain.

Getting back to the coupe. BTW, I bought a 1970 2002 in Atlantic Blue, so I bought its successor - well maybe. Besides being lighter, cheaper, and having better visibility, it has a much stronger and more rigid body structure. That extra 331 pounds (the point is the weight not how much) is needed to reinforce the structure. Over time, any convertible will become loose and develop shakes and rattles.

Finally, an interesting point to me is my Benz and Bimmer both weigh about the same. With the top up on the Benz, the car feels very solid, and I have friends that have the same car with a lot of miles and no rattles or shakes.

The odd couple!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I've got a Benz with a retractable hard top.

Convertibles are highly over rated, and I have owned several in my life. Most of the year you won't want to put the top down, because it'll just be too damn hot. With the Benz, I like early Spring and late Fall for putting the top down during the day. Another pleasure just about anytime of the year is top down driving at night.
Convertibles are not highly over rated to people who love convertibles, right?

I will however admit that I don't like to put the top down just so I can cook and would use one differently if still living in Florida (where I grew up) vs. New England (45-80 degrees = perfect top down weather IMHO).

Re your top getting torn, do you had a bumper sticker that saysd "STAB ME" ???

I've never had a problem in the Boston area with any of my converts. One thing I do appreciate about the retractable hard top is that the cabin is quieter...definitely appreciated the MB SLK for the quietness of the cabin vs. the relative noise-fest of the BMW 1 series (even my TT roadster with bad tires was quieter).

Geekapoo
Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Bon Vivant!

You can snicker all you want, but Boston is no different than any other American city. One day some cretin will sink his blade in you pristine top.

There is also one other factor about a coupe, and that is security. In the BMW & Benz, you can lock all the doors from the inside. If I haven't already mentioned it, the coupe has great visibility with lots of square inches of glass. BTW don't forget you have the sun roof for looking at the moon.

The odd couple!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 AM

My apologies if you think I am snickering....I am not. One's property being violated is no laughing matter. Just find it somewhat odd you've had such a problem and such concerns. In addition to my many converts without an issue, my folks had numerous converts in Florida (Miami/Miami Beach) without any issues....and all of the converts were quite striking, though none had big/fancy/glossy STEAL ME stuff inside to view. Still, a cretin or two might have found the top stab worthy but obviously didn't. The bottom line for me is that if someone stabs my top, so be it....or dinks/dents the door in a parking lot, etc. This is the trials and tribulations of owning a car. I will repat that vandalism is nothing to snicker about...sorry if you thought I was.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:00 AM

Back on thread....shame on BMW and the other car manufacturers for adding anything/everything they can to distract the driver. Email access? Pandora radio? Web browsers?

BMW and other companies will have blood on their hands as a result of driver distractions leading to injury or death. Some of what is being added to cars these days should be illegal....but it's all about making money and keeping up with the competition.:thumbdw n:
Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekapoo View Post
Back on thread....shame on BMW and the other car manufacturers for adding anything/everything they can to distract the driver. Email access? Pandora radio? Web browsers?

BMW and other companies will have blood on their hands as a result of driver distractions leading to injury or death. Some of what is being added to cars these days should be illegal....but it's all about making money and keeping up with the competition.:thumbdw n:
Disagree with that. BMW and other makers add these "things" because buyers want them. Companies have "blood on their hands"? Nonsense.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Bon Vivant!

Greekapoo seems to have a lot of issues with his BMW - the top, the visibility, and the Mfg having blood on its hands for offering various amenities. I'm sure if we got to know the poor fellow, we'd get to hear about some more.

My cat has satellite radio which is something I'd never order, but it came with the car and I'm enjoying it. My Benz has the HK radio with Logic 7 something else I'd never order, but it's great!

My Benz & Bimmer are both great cars. Only the Germans know how to build cars. I don't have any complaints.

The odd couple!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=BestCS;7648713]Greekapoo seems to have a lot of issues with his BMW - the top, the visibility, and the Mfg having blood on its hands for offering various amenities. I'm sure if we got to know the poor fellow, we'd get to hear about some more.
QUOTE]

*cough cough*...try to get it straight:

Cheapskates with respect the internal hard drive (12G)

Not providing a windscreen on a >$50k convertabile (I hear a canary chirping)

Poor visibility- not providing either a default rear camerawith car OR wide angle side mirrors

The blood on the hands bit...not a rant specific to BMW, more a general gripe and general risk to us all

Would you rather I post and contribute to threads where I talk about how the front grill looks like mighty fine kidney beans (DELISH!) or how the exhaust note gives me a chubby? I thought this was a venue for general discussion and I have something to discuss.

Oh....and to know me is to love me LOL (well, my wife feels that way so I am happy)
Old 06-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Your wife is biased......
Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Bon Vivant!

[QUOTE=Geekapoo;7649089]
Quote:
Greekapoo seems to have a lot of issues with his BMW - the top, the visibility, and the Mfg having blood on its hands for offering various amenities. I'm sure if we got to know the poor fellow, we'd get to hear about some more.
QUOTE]

*cough cough*...try to get it straight:

Cheapskates with respect the internal hard drive (12G)

Not providing a windscreen on a >$50k convertabile (I hear a canary chirping)

Poor visibility- not providing either a default rear camerawith car OR wide angle side mirrors

The blood on the hands bit...not a rant specific to BMW, more a general gripe and general risk to us all

Would you rather I post and contribute to threads where I talk about how the front grill looks like mighty fine kidney beans (DELISH!) or how the exhaust note gives me a chubby? I thought this was a venue for general discussion and I have something to discuss.

Oh....and to know me is to love me LOL (well, my wife feels that way so I am happy)
You might try posting something positive besides all of your complaints and gripes. I think you are just a whiner. A person who looks for excuses to bitches about everything from how the waiter served your cheeseburger to the sales clerk who didn't show you enough deference at the boutiques you must shop at.

A car is a machine not a floating cocktail lounge. Unfortunately that idea (or fact?) is being lost as nearly all manufacturers are putting in "infotainment" systems to amuse drivers in their otherwise boring lives. Also all this electronic junk makes us less safe on the road as drivers are distracted from the road, while they email, text, brush their teeth, and comb their hair while flying down the road doing the double nickle.

The odd couple!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 AM

[QUOTE=BestCS;7650999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekapoo View Post

You might try posting something positive besides all of your complaints and gripes. I think you are just a whiner. A person who looks for excuses to bitches about everything from how the waiter served your cheeseburger to the sales clerk who didn't show you enough deference at the boutiques you must shop at.

A car is a machine not a floating cocktail lounge. Unfortunately that idea (or fact?) is being lost as nearly all manufacturers are putting in "infotainment" systems to amuse drivers in their otherwise boring lives. Also all this electronic junk makes us less safe on the road as drivers are distracted from the road, while they email, text, brush their teeth, and comb their hair while flying down the road doing the double nickle.
What I am is very critical and hopefully constructively critical. The good news is that being this way has been one of the keys to my success in medical research, both with respect to the science and my bank account (I invest in companies with good science, which have rewarded me with multi-million $). I take cars and car shopping very seriously....have bought a new cars every 2-3 years for the past 30 years and always pay cash difference....with such large expenditures, I always carefully research a car and weigh the pros and the cons...there were obviously enough pluses to purchase my 135i (my TT roadster wasn't shabby..) but there obviously are some issues which I highlighted that could easily (and quite cheaply) make the car better. I think it's called a discussion board. Well, you obviously don't have a clue about me bestie but thanks for the laugh. My guess is that you enjoy pissing on other people's property like a dog making a statement, eh?

Re your comment about a car not being a floating cocktail machine....I could not agree more. I think with some of the new features (electronic junk), the car manufactures are putting all of us at risk for the sake of profit. The situation is messed up and only getting worse. For example, see:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles...in-the-car.htm

We need the best in technology to keep ourselves and others safe....includes eliminating electronic distracting junk in cars, regulating visibility requirements in cars, bans on texting while driving, etc. We've gone forward with having seatbelts be a requirement and installation of airbags. Unfortunately, the industry is going backwards in other ways that can affect health and lead to loss of life or wealth (if doing the wrong thing at the wrong time in a car and get sued).

Best regards,

Geekapoo
Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 AM

The good news is that being this way has been one of the keys to my success in medical research, both with respect to the science and my bank account (I invest in companies with good science, which have rewarded me with multi-million $).

Does it makes you feel good to boast like that? What relevance does how much money you made investing in med research companies have to do with this discussion?

It only makes your whining seem more pompous.....but, whatever, if it makes you feel superior, go for it.

Good day to you.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
The good news is that being this way has been one of the keys to my success in medical research, both with respect to the science and my bank account (I invest in companies with good science, which have rewarded me with multi-million $).

Does it makes you feel good to boast like that? What relevance does how much money you made investing in med research companies have to do with this discussion?

It only makes your whining seem more pompous.....but, whatever, if it makes you feel superior, go for it.

Good day to you.
Speaks to the extent where my being constructively critical with a "glass half empty" approach has paid dividends. I'm usually spot on with my observations..

Well, at least we are in agreement about how the addition of new tech to cars can be a big danger to us all. Peace out. Have a good weekend.

-Geekapoo
Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 PM
iDriveU

Mein Auto: 128i
Talking blind spots

A good driver knows how to use the side mirrors and rear view mirrors to overcome blind spots. I am surprised that you purchased the car if the blind spots are such an issue for you. Maybe a Chrysler Town & Country mini-van would have been a better fit for you. No blind spots there.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cp, 1st year Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzi View Post
A good driver knows how to use the side mirrors and rear view mirrors to overcome blind spots. I am surprised that you purchased the car if the blind spots are such an issue for you. Maybe a Chrysler Town & Country mini-van would have been a better fit for you. No blind spots there.
Actually, what he's complaining about is the rear view blind spot, which gets worse with longer vehicles (and is not overcome with side / rear view mirrors). Fiat 500 / Toyota Yaris / Smart car / Mini would be better.