Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 135i
Geekapoo - you should have bought a Lexus
Old 06-16-2013, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 135i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzi View Post
A good driver knows how to use the side mirrors and rear view mirrors to overcome blind spots. I am surprised that you purchased the car if the blind spots are such an issue for you. Maybe a Chrysler Town & Country mini-van would have been a better fit for you. No blind spots there.
Wow....are you really that obtuse?

Geekapoo

2013 BMW 135i convertible (Space Gray/black)
2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Mercedes Benz SLK 320
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 06-16-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniac View Post
Geekapoo - you should have bought a Lexus
My wife bought a Lexus IS250 once. Very dependable car with reasonable comfort but a snooze to drive. I did test drive the IS350....nicer but still nothing special. I do like the look of the sc430 but found my test drive quite disturbing....a 300hp V8 and you could not hear the engine or feel the road. Amazing how emasculated the car was....I guess nice if your idea of a good drive is the equiv of sitting in your living room chair while cruzing.

No, with no budget limitations, I test drove every car I thought might work for me and am quite happy with the 135i...if not, I'd sell it and get something else. Was tempted to get a Carrera Cabriole for the AWD but it was not particularly comfortable for me or my wife.

Too bad a select few mistake constructive criticism with unhappiness re my personal decision....or maybe they just like trolling LOL....as you've seen, I am unhappy that car manufacturers are making cars with features that put people at risk....too many WTF moments on the road and on the news about car accidents that could have been avoided. I know my skills (no crashes that were my fault or moving violations in 40 years)....but I'm sure as hell worried about the other guy/gal who is texting, on the phone, doing email or not paying attention to blind spots in cars.

Geekapoo

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 06-17-2013, 04:31 PM
iDriveU

Mein Auto: 128i
Ummm, really?
Then how do people drive cargo vans without a back window in them?????
Hello McFly - there are vehicles made with no back window at all, yet people drive them on a daily basis without issues.
Think U-Haul trucks - NO BACK WINDOW!
Every vehicle on the road has blind spots of some kind or another - but I guess us good drivers don't complain because we learn to adapt and overcome.
It's pretty simple, really.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:33 PM
iDriveU

Mein Auto: 128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekapoo View Post
Wow....are you really that obtuse?

Geekapoo
Ummm, really?
Hello McFly - there are vehicles made with no back window at all, yet people drive them on a daily basis without issues.
Every vehicle on the road has blind spots of some kind or another - but I guess us good drivers don't complain because we learn to adapt and overcome.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
Hmmmm....Geekapoo, BTW what in the hell is a Geekapoo? Doesn't sound like something I'd want to be associated with.

I can't commend your taste in cars. You buy a 135i, and you didn't get the M Sports Pkg? I guess you got the DCT unless you ordered the manual. And you've got to be kidding an Audi TT? I don't even consider that a car. I do approve of the Lexus IS250 although a 350 would have been much better.

My list of cars is much shorter and this is due to excellent tastes on my part:

1970 BMW 2002
A terrible period of time where I think I owned three horrible cars. I can't recall their names due to the trauma of the experience!
1987 Toyota Corolla FX16
1999 Mazda MX-5
2006 Mazda MX-5
2010 MB SLK
2013 BMW 135i
I'm done. The last two cars will last me forever!

The odd couple!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzi View Post
Ummm, really?
I appreciate that this site is enriched for folks who have a better understanding of cars than most and highly probable, better skills than the masses. It is the latter that are the main concern. Too many folks on the road rushing about and too many aggressive drivers. Not designing cars so as to limit the potential for mistakes is wrong, be it because of new, distracting technology or cars/trucks/vans that lack good rear or side visibility. We should not be worried about the good drivers.....the problem is that there are MANY bad drivers.

Re poor visibility, how difficult would it to be to have rear cameras as a standard in cars? Video cameras for computers/notebooks are really cheap ($20-30) and cripes, most smartphones have two cameras!

The bottom line is that profit is the bottom line, most of the big companies could give a "BestCS crap" about your safety even at the expense of a few of their pennies...unless the gov forces them to comply.

BTW, I have no doubt *cough cough* that you have mad skills as a driver..

Geekapoo

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 07-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
You should work for BMW. I'd bet they'd appreciate all of your insights into consumer safety issues.

The facts are that companies like Mercedes and Volvo are responsible for the major safety features in modern cars. Mercedes for crumple zones and Volvo for seat belts.

The real issues in automobile safety revolve around the nut at the wheel who is on his cell phone, texting, drunk, speeding, or not paying attention to his driving!

The odd couple!
Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestCS View Post

The real issues in automobile safety revolve around the nut at the wheel who is on his cell phone, texting, drunk, speeding, or not paying attention to his driving!
The real issues in automobile safety revolve around:

1) the inability to convince nuts at the wheel to not talk on the cell phone, text, drink when impaired and driving recklessly.

2) the inability to regulate an industry that designs cars with dangerous feature (for example, the ability to review and compose emails while driving) because of the lobby power of the automotive industry.

The good news is that we can impact drunk and other types of reckless driving through law enforcement (though efficiency can vary dramatically at a local level).

An obvious solution (though of course there are work arounds) is to eliminate enabling but dangerous functionality for automobiles (like internet in cars) and design the interior such that phone reception is not possible unless outside of the vehicle....none of this will happen...too much stupidity, too much greed, and depending on the approach...................... there are work arounds.

Geekapoo

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
BMW on the cheap....shame on you BMW

>is a mega millionaire
>brags about being a mega millionaire
>buys a poorly optioned 135i
>complains about perfectly good 135i
>compares it to TT roadster

Two different cars, two different niches. You should have bought yourself an SLK55 AMG. The only BMW that compares to two seat roadsters is the Z4, which coincidentally is a 2 seat roadster!

If you didn't buy M sport package, maybe BMW isn't on the cheap... YOU ARE. *dun dun duuuuun*

Go buy an M6 'vert and complain about that to the F12 bros.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Keepittrill; 07-15-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I didn't like spending nearly $400 on a windscreen so when my wife (friend at the time) bought hers, I suggested she get them to throw it in and they did. BMW in general charges a lot for things that are standard on "lesser" cars which is annoying. Their skimpiness on cup holders and storage space is also annoying. But those things are forgotten when I am moving in my vert.

The rear camera suggestion is good and I would like to retrofit but I don't want another screen. My Garmin 885t will accept a camera input but I have to solder to really tiny wires in the cradle and I am not that good at soldering. Maybe I will try again some day. The blind spot can be eliminated by proper mirror placement but that doesn't help backing the car. It seems silly for such a small vehicle to be difficult to back but it is. I have to be sure to look for potential issues before starting to back. I also park away from other cars when possible and that helps.

Jim
Old 07-18-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post
I didn't like spending nearly $400 on a windscreen so when my wife (friend at the time) bought hers, I suggested she get them to throw it in and they did. BMW in general charges a lot for things that are standard on "lesser" cars which is annoying. Their skimpiness on cup holders and storage space is also annoying. But those things are forgotten when I am moving in my vert.

The rear camera suggestion is good and I would like to retrofit but I don't want another screen. My Garmin 885t will accept a camera input but I have to solder to really tiny wires in the cradle and I am not that good at soldering. Maybe I will try again some day. The blind spot can be eliminated by proper mirror placement but that doesn't help backing the car. It seems silly for such a small vehicle to be difficult to back but it is. I have to be sure to look for potential issues before starting to back. I also park away from other cars when possible and that helps.

Jim
The BMW folks told me they would provide a windscreen at 20% discount....which was still a bit more than through ebay or lovetheride.com. I think we all agree...crazy prices at dealerships and skimpy with the basics so they can soak you for every penny possible.

Re the rear camera...I had assumed you could get the view through the NAV screen (assuming the car has one). I know folks with VWs who have added the feature to their NAV equipped cars.

Re the blind spot...do wish car designs were better regulated...especially the basics (like providing a good view of the road)...............so simple to simply add features that proide less risk, be it you with your car or more important....the risk from the "other" person. Driving defensively can only get you so far.

The biggest bogus bullcrap of late is the BMW ConnectedDrive...who the hell needs internet access directly from a car? Increases the potential for distraction....but BMW does not give a shat...just keeping up with the Jonses who are in a race to add features to cars that decrease safety.

Geekapoo

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 07-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906

Quote:
I've had my 135i convertible for 3 weeks. Love the car but do have gripes with BMW about the following, which I assume could easily be fixed by BMW if they gave a damn..

1) A ~$50k convertible sportscar without a wind deflector. Wind deflectors came with my 3 TT roadsters, my MB SLK and my Boxster. BMW...what a cheap thing to do. Pretty pathetic IMHO.

2) Speaking of pathetic, 12G of internal memory for the tech system? Cripes, you can buy a 64G USB drive for $30! Pathetic.

3) Finally, a rather serious gripe. The 128 and 135 converts definitely have a pretty bad blind spot for rear viewing. Other companies address this issue with a rear mounted camera. In the case of the Nissan Rouge (where rear view is also seriously compromised, the rear view is shown in a small window set in the rear view mirror. IMHO, to the uninitiated, the 128 and 135 are dangerous drives for those not familiar with this issue.

As I said, overall I really like the car....but cannot say that BMW as a company impresses me with any effort to go above and beyond what they absolutely have to do...which is something I've respected with other companies (the Rouge being one example, wind deflectors that cost very little and should be standard another).

Shame on you BMW..
Sucks.

So that blind spot crept up on you after you bought the car?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Sucks.

So that blind spot crept up on you after you bought the car?

Of course not. I know the strengths and limitations of my cars and myself (though cannot speak for my wife, who may drive the car on occasion). My posts have been more about design flaws that can be easily and cheaply fixed....if the companies were not so cheap and actually gave more than a rat's ass about their customers besides milking them for as much $$$ as possible.

Clearer now? Cheers.

Geekapoo

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 07-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Of course not. I know the strengths and limitations of my cars and myself (though cannot speak for my wife, who may drive the car on occasion). My posts have been more about design flaws that can be easily and cheaply fixed....if the companies were not so cheap and actually gave more than a rat's ass about their customers besides milking them for as much $$$ as possible.

Clearer now? Cheers.

Geekapoo
You do appreciate the irony of b1tching mightily about a car...after you purchased it, I assume?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I appreciate that this site is enriched for folks who have a better understanding of cars than most and highly probable, better skills than the masses. It is the latter that are the main concern. Too many folks on the road rushing about and too many aggressive drivers. Not designing cars so as to limit the potential for mistakes is wrong, be it because of new, distracting technology or cars/trucks/vans that lack good rear or side visibility. We should not be worried about the good drivers.....the problem is that there are MANY bad drivers.

Re poor visibility, how difficult would it to be to have rear cameras as a standard in cars? Video cameras for computers/notebooks are really cheap ($20-30) and cripes, most smartphones have two cameras!

The bottom line is that profit is the bottom line, most of the big companies could give a "BestCS crap" about your safety even at the expense of a few of their pennies...unless the gov forces them to comply.

BTW, I have no doubt *cough cough* that you have mad skills as a driver..

Geekapoo
Awesome post.

We masses appreciate it.

PS I'm only back to page two. Fred delivers!!!

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 07-18-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestCS View Post

A car is a machine not a floating cocktail lounge. Unfortunately that idea (or fact?) is being lost as nearly all manufacturers are putting in "infotainment" systems to amuse drivers in their otherwise boring lives. Also all this electronic junk makes us less safe on the road as drivers are distracted from the road, while they email, text, brush their teeth, and comb their hair while flying down the road doing the double nickle.
Dag nab it, none of this is on my M3!!!

I wuz robbed!!?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
You do appreciate the irony of b1tching mightily about a car...after you purchased it, I assume?

Saying I'm bitching is a tad harsh. I am very critical....very very critical, but in a constructive manner...it's my job to be this way (cancer research). I'm a glass half empty sort of person who is always trying to make things better or optimize for success....which has served me very well and has led to great success with respect to drug discovery/development and my choices of company investments.

The saddest part of all this is that everything I have mentioned is so EASY and relatively cheaply to deal with. MOST IMPORTANT, the issues I raise are industry issues and general safety issues.

Cannot help but LOL at the self-centered folks who say this issue or that issue does not affect them becuase they know how to drive yadda yadda yadda...and the "me me me" of it all obscures the bigger picture. Of course there are also the fan boi's and the trolls....LOL, gotta love those idiots on parade

Geekapoo

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 07-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes, I had that issue with Audi...I think they are asking $790 for 4 or 5 year coverage/service on their cars versus it being "for free" as part of the purchase of a new car. A salesman told me that the main reason for this was because the dealerships wanted it sold seperately as they thought there would be more mooney in it for them versus Audi. I never thought much of it as with the last two Audi I bought, I asked for the price I wanted and then once there was an agreement on the price, said I would not buy the car without Audi Care added to the deal....got the maintenance package free both times.

When looking at SUVs a few years ago, I was horrified by the size of the Nissan Rogue back window (very tiny) but must say I was impressed by the dealership's solution (seeing as an obvious problem and liability risk (not to mention the many reviews of the car where the inability to see clearly out the back window was noted). ALl of the Rogues on the lot had this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-to-2012...-/360450531176

With respect to my 135i convert, I will look into installation of a rear camera....or take the cheaper route of better wide angle mirrors. The BMW folks are crazy for the design of the 1 series....just one mistake (not seeing the car next to you) can irreversibly affect your's or another person's life health-wise and legally, not to mention the potential for a class action suit against BMW.

In general, I see BMW as I see Apple...nice products but a company that hustles to make a nickel and really does not give a crap about their customers. Still laugh at all those iPODs with the hard wired battery....done that way so folks would have to buy a new iPOD versus a new battery and Apple could make more $$$.

BMW skimping on a few gigabits or a cheap (material-wise) screen for wind deflection....this company certainly has not earned my loyality.
THAT'S IT!! I'm going back to BMW and ask then to take out that useless 400HP V8 in my car and put in a bigger hard drive!

What is a wind deflector?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Last question OP - are you BJ's brother?

C'mon now...fess up...

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Saying I'm bitching is a tad harsh. I am very critical....very very critical, but in a constructive manner...it's my job to be this way (cancer research). I'm a glass half empty sort of person who is always trying to make things better or optimize for success....which has served me very well and has led to great success with respect to drug discovery/development and my choices of company investments.

The saddest part of all this is that everything I have mentioned is so EASY and relatively cheaply to deal with. MOST IMPORTANT, the issues I raise are industry issues and general safety issues.

Cannot help but LOL at the self-centered folks who say this issue or that issue does not affect them becuase they know how to drive yadda yadda yadda...and the "me me me" of it all obscures the bigger picture. Of course there are also the fan boi's and the trolls....LOL, gotta love those idiots on parade

Geekapoo
And we appreciate it!

IFTPC!!

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Last question OP - are you BJ's brother?

C'mon now...fess up...

LOL...now you have me curious...can you provide a link to a few BJ posts? Thanks!

Cheers.

Geekapoo

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
LOL...now you have me curious...can you provide a link to a few BJ posts? Thanks!

Cheers.

Geekapoo
Search and ye shall find.

Hey it's all good bro.

Some amount of ah, feedback on your posts are to be expected..lol.

So seriously, you a Brit?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Search and ye shall find.

Hey it's all good bro.

Some amount of ah, feedback on your posts are to be expected..lol.

So seriously, you a Brit?

Briefly looked at some posts....gotta love the rowdy ones (errrr, maybe sometimes not).

Not a brit........"not that there is anything wrong with that"....love that Sienfield quote. Love women's brit accents...makes 'em sound sexy...hmmmm, wonder what that says about me LOL.

Geekapoo

2010 VW GTI (wife's)

Past cars:
2009 Audi TT roadster
2008 Porsche Boxster S
Lexus IS250 (wife's)
2004 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi TT roadster
2001 Audi A4
Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Briefly looked at some posts....gotta love the rowdy ones (errrr, maybe sometimes not).

Not a brit........"not that there is anything wrong with that"....love that Sienfield quote. Love women's brit accents...makes 'em sound sexy...hmmmm, wonder what that says about me LOL.

Geekapoo
No worries. Enjoy the vert. Good luck with your issues.

- J.C. Watts Jr.