Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F30, 704 SS option
Oooops! Please delete my posts as I realize that I have been posting in the wrong forum!

Sorry!

Last edited by RobertaZ; 06-25-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35i Sport Activity
34 MPG on 2nd tank

34mpg @ 74mph? I call BS on that. I'm sorry. Please post your trip computer screen shoot next time with average speed. That is impossible, or you had an amazing tail wind, had no traffic in front of you so never had to decelerate and re-throttle. It just isn't realistic.

I drive my X1 x28i to and from work every week, it's 70% freeway, and a total of 500 miles each week. When conditions are really nice I can do 28 on the highway doing 78mph. Over 12,000 miles with 70/30 split, I've averaged 23.5 mpg. I am very disappointed, the truth is that in the city the N20 just sucks too much gas and in the freeway it's very hard to get over 30mpg.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

- 2013 X5 35i Sport Activity (Born 08/12) - Titanium Silver /Oyster Nevada /Dark Bamboo - ZCV /ZCW /ZPS /Sport Package /Adaptive Drive /Soft-Close Doors/Running Boards /HUD /Shift Paddles /Comfort Seats /6NR /6NF
- 2011 535i (Born 08/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota /Anthracite - ZCV /ZCW /ZPP /ZP2 /6FL /6NF (Sold 08/12)
- 2010 335i (Born 02/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota - ZCW /ZPP /6FL (Sold 09/10)
- 2007 328i (Born 07/07) - Jet Black /Black Dakota - ZSP /ZPP /6FL (Sold 04/10)
Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1x28i
High Mileage

I don't know how you get these high numbers? My driving is all city and I try to be very light on the gas pedal. At present my milage reads 21.1. I cannot get any higher with all city driving.
I'd like to get some of the numbers you guys are posting.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:28 PM

34 MPG on 2nd tank

That's what I'm saying man. The numbers are very low. In the it's forget it. It's terrible. Eco Pro is not worth it in my opinion, I've given up on AS/S due to how rough it is and the low savings j was getting anyway.

This car just isn't the fuel sipping goddess I was hoping it was. That said I love it. It handle incredibly well, it is versatile, it has great fit and finish and I just love how it feels in my hand. I've had several BMWs before this, I also have an X5 at the moment, and I have to say this is my second favorite BMW ever. I just really wish the fuel economy were better.

- 2013 X5 35i Sport Activity (Born 08/12) - Titanium Silver /Oyster Nevada /Dark Bamboo - ZCV /ZCW /ZPS /Sport Package /Adaptive Drive /Soft-Close Doors/Running Boards /HUD /Shift Paddles /Comfort Seats /6NR /6NF
- 2011 535i (Born 08/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota /Anthracite - ZCV /ZCW /ZPP /ZP2 /6FL /6NF (Sold 08/12)
- 2010 335i (Born 02/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota - ZCW /ZPP /6FL (Sold 09/10)
Old 07-07-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 1x28i
34 MPG on 2nd tank

I also do not care that much about the mileage, I just don't understand those numbers.
My daughter has an X5 and I drive it a lot. I must say this x1 is one of my all time favorite cars too drive. It's so much more fun then the X5.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilodan View Post
34mpg @ 74mph? I call BS on that. I'm sorry. Please post your trip computer screen shoot next time with average speed. That is impossible, or you had an amazing tail wind, had no traffic in front of you so never had to decelerate and re-throttle. It just isn't realistic.

I drive my X1 x28i to and from work every week, it's 70% freeway, and a total of 500 miles each week. When conditions are really nice I can do 28 on the highway doing 78mph. Over 12,000 miles with 70/30 split, I've averaged 23.5 mpg. I am very disappointed, the truth is that in the city the N20 just sucks too much gas and in the freeway it's very hard to get over 30mpg.

The display photo showed an average mpg of 34 at the end of the tank of gas as you can see. The calculated mpg based on the amount of fuel added was .2 less or there abouts. The front part of the trip was two lane road along the Mississippi River and no I was not cruising at 74, more like 62 or 63, the back side of the trip was on the interstate and I set the cruise at 74, which I am informed is probably more like 70mph.

I have not been able to get 34 since then but have been averaging about 30 mpg 90% highway driving with an occasional hypermile stretch on long hills.

Because I live in a predominantly rural area I do not do a lot braking and accelerating between stretches as many of the city folks do. This has a big effect on gas mileage.

Have said that I take issue with your comment that these results are somehow fudged...not so.

The bottom line with this car is if you drive it conservatively (?high treason for a Bimmer) it gets great gas mileage. If you drive it like a BMW 24mpg - 25 mpg is reasonable. I might add that I think it is much harder to attain EPA numbers with X-Drive due to the nature of the beast.

S-Drive 28i.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 x28i MSport, Miata
The only big question in my mind is whether the 35, when driven at the same rates of acceleration (not measured by pedal, but by car acceleration speed) as the 28, gives similar numbers. If that's the case... The choice would be a lot harder between them, I will say. I suspect on a pure highway no traffic stretch the 28 still wins by a nice margin, and I love being able to get 400+ miles on a tank. From where I came from it's a car with an engine putting out almost the same numbers as my old wrx that it replaced, but getting much better mileage doing it. I did 27.something on one trip during break-in which was an impossible number to achieve in the wrx.

Well, I still love the transmission and the weight distribution. I do wish I had the brakes of the 35, but it's not a slow car and it gets great mileage for what it is, so I'm still very happy with my choice.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: 525 & 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteatwo View Post
I do not doubt this. Actual MPH was not verified and it is probably in my best interest to have the speedo make me think I am going faster than I am really going.
Yes, it is better to think you are going faster than you are, cause that is what the Highway Patrol will think or tell you.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:29 AM

34 MPG on 2nd tank

@forte - now your starting to clarify your original post and why I said that posting hour average speed along sign average consumption is the best thing to do. That first part of the trip in the 60s is definitely playing a big role here.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:33 AM

34 MPG on 2nd tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supagoat View Post
The only big question in my mind is whether the 35, when driven at the same rates of acceleration (not measured by pedal, but by car acceleration speed) as the 28, gives similar numbers. If that's the case... The choice would be a lot harder between them, I will say. I suspect on a pure highway no traffic stretch the 28 still wins by a nice margin, and I love being able to get 400+ miles on a tank. From where I came from it's a car with an engine putting out almost the same numbers as my old wrx that it replaced, but getting much better mileage doing it. I did 27.something on one trip during break-in which was an impossible number to achieve in the wrx.

Well, I still love the transmission and the weight distribution. I do wish I had the brakes of the 35, but it's not a slow car and it gets great mileage for what it is, so I'm still very happy with my choice.
Don't even think about it. I used to have an E90 with the same engine and transmission as the 35 and I'm here to tell you that the fuel economy is just terrible on that thing. I mean dismal. The six speed kills it, it is a real issue. You were lucky to get 25 mpg on the highway, going perfectly straight, in cruise control, at 80. This is something that annoyed me so much, I got the F10 with the 8 speed and though much heavier, got much better fuel economy.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 AM

34 MPG on 2nd tank

And I agree with you on the breaks. It's my only BIG complaint about the 28. What the hell was BMW thinking with these brakes? They are ridiculous. I've never had a BMW that brakes so poorly and requires so much effort.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 x28i MSport, Miata
I hooked my OBD reader up and put it on cruise at 80 indicated in 8th gear and on the flattest portion of highway I could find it read between 2.7 and 3 gallons per hour which works out to 26.6 to 29.6 mpg, which is in line with the 27.3 that it read when I did a long highway trip. Still only 1600 miles on the clock so I expect it'll improve in the future but still not bad.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supagoat View Post
I hooked my OBD reader up and put it on cruise at 80 indicated in 8th gear and on the flattest portion of highway I could find it read between 2.7 and 3 gallons per hour which works out to 26.6 to 29.6 mpg, which is in line with the 27.3 that it read when I did a long highway trip. Still only 1600 miles on the clock so I expect it'll improve in the future but still not bad.
Wow, getting 27mpg going 80 is insane... Drag increases with the square of velocity so the difference between 70 and 80mph is huge... I think it's totally unreasonable to expect to get the reported 27/34 unless you keep in below 70... And even then... But 27mph going 80 is just crazy
Old 08-24-2013, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3CIFT View Post
I have had my 2014 X1 for about a week and a half now. Yesterday i took it for a long drive. Not a road trip by any means, but a nice 386 mile round trip. Road conditions were good, no rain or heavy winds and relatively flat. I set the trip computer at the start and at the end, it registered 32.3mpg. Gas tank took 11.8 gallons with a couple extra clicks. 386 / 11.8 = 32.7. I am pleased with the result. Yes, i had to be conservative to get it..but those numbers were not achieved by the EPA while having fun, however, it is possible get the result. Your results may vary!

Is your x 1 s drive or x drive? I spoke with a service manager at a lexus dealership and he has the x1 x drive i28 and he averages close to 35 mpg highway only.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:07 AM

I find it funny that the people who are saying their city driving is averaging 21 mpg. I think it's definitely possible if driven correctly that 34 mpg is obtainable. I'm originally from NJ and our highways are 55 mph which means doing 60-65 is safe without getting pulled over. I know a few people who drive 60 mph with x drive x1's all highway (to and from work) they have all gotten over 30. Flat roads, low rpm and no city driving (which is possible) I have seen friends who have gotten around 34 mpg. Of course doing 80 mph on highways with hills would cause significantly less gas mileage, or driving city/highway 30/70 split would decrease efficiency. Not everyone drives a bmw like its a Ferrari. I had 2004 c-5 corvette with 350 hp get close to 30mpg if I drove it with efficiency in mind. It all comes down to driving habits, driving conditions and characteristics of the road. I have seen some people post on this website from areas like salt lake city(my current location) and a couple others who live at high altitude which would cause significant decrease in fuel efficiency of curse the x1 being turbocharged its not as much of a factor. My honda civic Si in Nj before moving to Utah got 32 mpg highway all day long, in salt lake at over 4000 ft above sea level I'm lucky if I get 26 both judging off of pure highway, if fuel efficiency is what I look for on certain trips i stay away from city driving as much as possible, accelerate moderately not aggressively, and I avoid the mountains here in salt lake unless I'm going for a hike. From all I have read I think over 30 mpg highway is obtainable. It does however get dragged down significantly by any city driving.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:11 AM

With that said it is tough to ask someone else what they're fuel efficiency experience is. I think bmw did a great job setting up the turbo charged 4 cylinder with a 8 speed auto trans. It a German luxury car that drives better than 90% of everything else that's out there. Everything bmw has to offer and now great fuel efficiency ( if driven correctly), well I'm sold!!! Can't wait to get my x1.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x1 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thochrun View Post
Is your x 1 s drive or x drive? I spoke with a service manager at a lexus dealership and he has the x1 x drive i28 and he averages close to 35 mpg highway only.
Mine is the XDrive. I will be doing a road trip to Wisconsin soon, and will have a good idea of how it does on a long drive. Although, I intend to have fun while driving too. Overall though, since I took delivery, it has pretty much done as advertised, and I am pleased with the results.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thochrun View Post
With that said it is tough to ask someone else what they're fuel efficiency experience is. I think bmw did a great job setting up the turbo charged 4 cylinder with a 8 speed auto trans. It a German luxury car that drives better than 90% of everything else that's out there. Everything bmw has to offer and now great fuel efficiency ( if driven correctly), well I'm sold!!! Can't wait to get my x1.
I'm with you, man!

I was looking for a small suv to suggest to my mechanically challenged wife.

I talked about Acura, and Volvo XC60; so I'm looking at a web page with the XC60 tying for 3rd place of small suv's with BMW X1.

It immediately hit me; The X1 is $10k cheaper, has same 240hp, but gets 24city epa instead of the XC60's 19city epa.

Also, my wife had been talking about BMW's which I said were too expensive, and now I see the X1 is just what I want her to occasionally drive.

I drove lots of miles up to 120mph in Germany, and average hovered around 25.5mpg.

I'll bet that Volvo XC60 averages 5 mpg less.

Americans have a much better deal than Germans on fuel use; I was paying up to $9.25/gal.

Everyone always chases gas mileage, but I don't see another car with that gas mileage, price, and power.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Re: 34 MPG on 2nd tank

As an American soldier stationed in Germany we do get a deal on gas. I pay about $4.00 a gallon for gas. I am extremely happy with my gas consumption in mt 2014 X1 Xdrive28i. Im still in the break in period and only do 80mph and average 40mpg or better. Also helps I live on top of a giant hill amd my main drive is down hill.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-25-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by american View Post
As an American soldier stationed in Germany we do get a deal on gas. I pay about $4.00 a gallon for gas. I am extremely happy with my gas consumption in mt 2014 X1 Xdrive28i. Im still in the break in period and only do 80mph and average 40mpg or better. Also helps I live on top of a giant hill amd my main drive is down hill.

Umm, up hill to get back home, no? As much as you drive downhill, you have to drive the same amount up hill if you are going back to where you started every day.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
HA!
Didn't we all used to walk to school in the snow and back, both ways up hill?

Last edited by stonex1; 08-25-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy7fx View Post
Umm, up hill to get back home, no? As much as you drive downhill, you have to drive the same amount up hill if you are going back to where you started every day.
I think uphill after the engine is warm is probably more efficient than uphill when the engine is cold.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x1 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by american View Post

Are the cars that remain in Europe free from the US mandated emission standards? If so, I would expect that would have a lot to do with the 40+ MPG. I don't think any of us here in the US could expect 40 on the best of days.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:04 AM
BJB

34 MPG on 2nd tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3CIFT View Post
Are the cars that remain in Europe free from the US mandated emission standards? If so, I would expect that would have a lot to do with the 40+ MPG. I don't think any of us here in the US could expect 40 on the best of days.
Are the European mpg quotes imperial or us gallons? Imperial gallons are about 20% bigger. European emissions controls are in line with us.
Also remember most European gasoline doesn't have ethanol

Old 08-26-2013, 04:11 AM

My X1 is US spec. I used my eco mode and do long trips. I am driving like a little old woman since Im in the 1000 mile break in period. That and my base is up 500ft higher than the place I drive so its mainly down hill driving. This is on a US gallon.