Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota 4Runner
07 530 xi 96,000

This is my first BMW and I have owned it for 6 months so far and I am quickly reaching 100,000 miles and would like to know what I should plan on doing to maintain this vehicle.

When I look in the service menu I see that the spark plugs will need done at 100,000 miles and the oil says it can go for another 9,000 which would mean it hasn't been changed for 15,000 miles. Does that sound like a reasonable amount to time between oil change intervals? I am new to the "bmw" brand and this may be very normal but coming from the previous mentality that I need to change every 3,000 miles is a bit hard to adjust to.

I have had the following checked, done or repaired under the CPO warranty, which is now expired to to timing.

Tires are new
Brakes are new
brake oil - good
Radiator is new
Oil filter housing replaced due to leaking
Firmware updated on whole vehicle

Things I am considering or would like opinions on:
Water Pump
Transmission Fluid Flush
Front and Rear Diff Flush

Are there any other thing that I should replace or is there a site or location that I can go and look at failure rates on components for my vehicle?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1824.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	378075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1839.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	378076  
Ads by Google
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Water pump, thermostat, and starter should be near the end of their useful lives, if they haven't been replaced yet. Trans fluid and diff should be changed as soon as possible or not at all, there are varying theories, but most of the techs I know have said: Even though BM calls it "Lifetime Oil" in the trans it should be changed by 100k miles or not at all, changing after 100k miles can do more harm than good. Diff fluid should be done around every 75-100k miles. After that, check hoses and belts, belt tensioner, check for leaks. Check control arms all around, they should be almost done and are fairly easy and cheap to replace (so don't bother just getting the bushings). Oil changes are "recommended" by BMW for every 15k miles, but I don't know too many members here that push it that far. I usually do mine around every 7500 miles, since your car has a lot more miles (mine has 23k), I'd definitely start changing the oil more frequently.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 PM

07 530 xi 96,000

Thanks for that info! I appreciate it.

Does anyone else have anymore information? Please let me know especially if you have the same model.

If anyone know of a location to find parts that fail most often on this model please share. I am really relying on the groups expertise!

Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 530xi, '01 525iT
Re: 07 530 xi 96,000

I have the same car as you - same color and everything - but I only have 70k on mine. Bought it at 50k. I change the oil every 7500. I had to do the front brakes at 62k. Easy job. Only problem has been an intermittent TPM malfunction. Pretty sure one of the wheel sensors is dying. That's been it for me though (knocking in wood). I plan on changing the diff oil, ATF, and X drive transfer case oil soon. I'll probably also flush the cooling system and brake fluid one of these weeks. It's been a good car so far.

Last edited by bschmidt25; 05-24-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: E46-325xi; F34-328GT
My maintenance experience up to 116k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxvader View Post
Does anyone else have anymore information? Please let me know especially if you have the same model.

If anyone know of a location to find parts that fail most often on this model please share. I am really relying on the groups expertise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschmidt25 View Post
I have the same car as you - same color and everything - ... I plan on changing the diff oil, ATF, and X drive transfer case oil soon. I'll probably also flush the cooling system and brake fluid one of these weeks. It's been a good car so far.
Mine's an '07 530xi also (3/2006 build). 116k miles. What I've done (I am a DIY guy) so far:
  1. 63k miles Differentials (both) drain and fill.
  2. 63k miles Transmission drain and fill, with new filter. You replace 6 quarts of 9+ quart capacity, which I'm OK with.
  3. 67k Spark plugs. The maintenance schedule says 100k but I like replace more often.
  4. 67k miles Axle reboot (front left) -- oozing at the radial seal. Rebooted only because I wasn't sure where the leak was on the inner CV boot. I replaced both boots and radial seal.
  5. 70k Transfer case, drain and fill, using the $costly$ BMW juice from the dealer. This required dropping the exhaust system, which isn't too hard.
  6. 85k Mechatronics sleeve -- This is a $20 plastic cylinder with 2 o-rings. Its job is to allows electrical wires into transmission without leakage. I was getting globs of oil in the garage. This job is best done along with a) transmission service, b) transfer case fluid change.
  7. 94k Cooling system overhaul. $900 job when I did it myself. I replaced $electric water pump$, thermostat, 8 coolant hoses, and various fittings. I did it for peace of mind when there were no problems. See my DIY that I posted.
  8. 98k VANOS solenoid--Exhaust side. Easily accessible.
  9. 100k #1 DISA valve replacement (broken flap). SES codes pointed right too it.
  10. 102k O2 sensor (after cat, bank 1 (cyls 1-3).
  11. 113k Rear window sealing trim. $37 and 1 hour. The trim falls apart and looks terrible but it's a straightforward job.
  12. 115k O2 sensors (the 3 remaining). No codes but this service is due around 110 or 120k. My car idles very smoothly now. I think the pre-cats are the most important for performance. The cost for all four was $560, parts only (Amazon and ECSTuning). Those on Amazon sell for less than $110 while the parts houses sell them for ~$180. I got a couple at $106 but others weren't immediately available on Amazon. OEM Bosch brand, exact replacements, of course.
  13. 115k Tension struts (front). Also called "lower control arms." The rubber bushings were beginning to break apart and alignment could not be done until replaced.
Wow! That's a lot of maintenance now that I list it this way. But it's such a joy to drive it doesn't seem so bad.

I should also tell you that the fluid on both the transfer case and the transmission looked in very good condition at 63k miles. Knowing that now, I would wait to replace those until 80k or so.

On my "to-do" list:
  1. Passenger-side thigh support actuator motor $190 The work-around is to just push or pull the support into the position you like. I may not replace it.
  2. Spark plugs at 120k -- I did them at 67k
  3. Motor mounts -- because I'm sure they're flattening out. I replaced them in my 325xi at 130k miles and got a much better idle.
  4. Oil separator (CCV)?? No problems yet. My 325xi was done at 110k miles at which time the plastic pipes were quite brittle.

Oil changes done between 7500-9000 miles, using Mobil 1 0W-40, not quite 7 quarts. I like M1 because: 1) It's BMW LL-01 approved, 2) it's easily available at WalMart, 3) the 5 quart containers are $24.97! ($5/quart)

Last edited by latitude39; 05-28-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 AM

I forgot to mention:
Pulleys (both idler and tensioner) at 68k miles. Preventive maintenance.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:36 PM

07 530 xi 96,000

@Latitude39

How hard was it to change the transmission fluid? Do you have a sequence of operations?

Has the car ever left you stranded?

What options are on your 530?

Old 05-28-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxvader View Post
@Latitude39

How hard was it to change the transmission fluid? Do you have a sequence of operations?

Has the car ever left you stranded?

What options are on your 530?

First, the 530 has never left me stranded. I anticipated cooling system problems (I had no indications of problems whatsoever) and I rebuilt it. However, I think the E60 cooling system is more stout than the E46 ('02 325xi) cooling system, with which I have experience. Bentley manual states that the electric fuel pump will throw codes, which may give you warnings before failing.

Options: 3.0 liter, 255hp, Valvetronic engine, which has been reliable to 116k miles. "comfort seats" (the sports seats, I believe). Cold weather package; 60/40 fold-down seats; ski bag pass-thru; dakota-leather?? (I bought it used). Of course, I've taken good care of it, as you can see from my maint. list. My car doesn't have anything unusual, like the leveling system for the steering. It's pretty ordinary, I think. Drives very nice and has more than adequate power.

Transmission fluid is pretty straightforward and possibly messy: 1) Drain the tranny from drain plug, 2) Remove pan by taking out 16 or so pan bolts, 3) remove the filter, making sure that any o-rings do not remain in tranny, 4) Install new new filter, 5) bolt on new pan (which has to be replaced because the filter is built in to it), 6) Fill through the fill hole until it overflows at which time, cap it (you haven't filled it completely yet), 7) Start engine with foot firmly on brake to keep wheels from spinning, shift through gears a few times, 8) With engine still running, pump fluid into pan, which should take at least 2 more quarts, until overflow, 9) cap the fill plug.

Warning: this is done from memory while I'm not looking at my notes, which I did keep. The car needs to be level, firmly set on jackstands. PM for my notes. I have them readily available. You'll get about 2/3rds of the fluid replaced but since I anticipate your fluid is in good condition, as mine was, that will freshen up the fluid until your next change.

ctsc.com has a kit for a good price that includes the correct OEM fluid, pan filter, gasket, etc. See the parts houses that support this site too.

Let it be known that I am not a professional mechanic. I read my Bentley manual and spend quite a bit of time reading here and other sites and think I've got a handle on this type of PM maintenance. Still, I think this is all very doable by the DIY type.

While you're under there you might want to replace the mechatronic sleeve (also available at ctsc and our sponsor sites). In order to replace the mechatronic sleeve you have to REMOVE THE TRANNY PAN--the sleeve is held in place with an internal clip. With the "xi" version you also have to drop the exhaust system, which isn't too hard but you'll need new exhaust gaskets -- the gaskets below the catalytic converters.

But if the Mech. sleeve has been replaced already you can skip this step. The pan bolts below the mech. sleeve will have beads of brown tranny fluid on them if it is leaking.

Oh, one other thing: if you want to drain-and-fill the transfer case, this is time to do it. I did mine at 67k and the fluid was in FINE condition. I'd feel good letting it go beyond 100k. But if you change it, use the BMW "0870" fluid (there's a yellow label on TC), which is relatively expensive and is available at the dealership. The fill plug is INACCESSIBLE until you drop the exhaust system. I have photos.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 AM

07 530 xi 96,000

If you can send photos or a link for photos that would be awesome. I am getting ready to do a lot of PM.