Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Windshield wipers quit working

Brand new to the site and been trying to find this specific issue, without success.

I have a 2006 330xi and after heavy rain for a few days (during which my wipers performed flawlessly) I tried using them for a moment the next day and they would not come on. I suspected a fuse, but did could not find the fuse diagram where my manual said it was supposed to be, so I Googled it and found one. The only thing that even represents an icon for a wiper fuse is in slot #48 and my car does not even have a fuse in that slot (as well as some others.)

A friend of mine suggested that it could be a relay, but typically a relay will allow the wipers to work after some time passes, and mine still does not work a few days later.

My question is three-fold: 1.) Is there a fuse that I am not aware of that I should be checking, and 2.) Would the relay be the first thing I should consider replacing after that? and 3.) To get a relay, must I go through a BMW parts supplier, or is that a universal part that should be available at any parts supply store?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by haf2ref View Post
Brand new to the site and been trying to find this specific issue, without success.

I have a 2006 330xi and after heavy rain for a few days (during which my wipers performed flawlessly) I tried using them for a moment the next day and they would not come on. I suspected a fuse, but did could not find the fuse diagram where my manual said it was supposed to be, so I Googled it and found one. The only thing that even represents an icon for a wiper fuse is in slot #48 and my car does not even have a fuse in that slot (as well as some others.)

A friend of mine suggested that it could be a relay, but typically a relay will allow the wipers to work after some time passes, and mine still does not work a few days later.

My question is three-fold: 1.) Is there a fuse that I am not aware of that I should be checking, and 2.) Would the relay be the first thing I should consider replacing after that? and 3.) To get a relay, must I go through a BMW parts supplier, or is that a universal part that should be available at any parts supply store?

Thanks!

Have you tried HERE?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM

Well, that is a Google link to the fuse location, which I already have. I am looking for answers to my questions about the wipers not working
Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf2ref View Post
Well, that is a Google link to the fuse location, which I already have. I am looking for answers to my questions about the wipers not working
Got power to the fuse?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
have 2006 330xi my wiper stopped working, replaced the relay fixed it. The part is under $15 and plugs to the fuse box inside the glove compartment.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 PM

As to the fuse question, the one that shows for a wiper (#48) does not even have a fuse in it. Is it possible it only has a relay and not a fuse?

On the relay answer, do I have to get it from BMW, or are they fairly generic and any parts store will have?

Thanks Guys
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM

Yo!
If you've located the JUNCTION BOX [Page 17 of the PDF], you've located the wiper relays. Relay #1 [Position 12] is plug-in; relay #2 [Poistion 13] is soldered on a PCB.

From what I see so far in Bentley, both Junction Box relays are operated by transistor switches - that would be a signal originating in the stalk switch. But both relays appear to be solenoids or reeds. Those relays operating nothing but the wiper motor.

No guarantees but pin 30 at the Junction Box appears to be power in, wiper motor sys only - careful! Mucho current but should be 12-13v. Try the Junction Box fuse @ Pin 30 first - 30 amp. Appears to provides power to the wiper motor through the relays. If power there + fuse good, work your way downstream....toward the wiper motor.

Junction box Pins 9 and 10 appear to be power out to the wiper motor corresponding to pins 3 and 4 at the wiper motor. Check for voltage. Again, careful careful careful! Don't want to accidently short anything or solid state components may be damaged. Also, on Page 20, there are dianosis ports for Wiper Sage 1 and Stage 2. If you know something of electronics, it will be an interesting study to scope diagnostics. But, this ol' boy's got plenty to do and that's something strictly recreational with no time t'chase.

Suspect Relay #1, the one that plugs in....we sure hope so since that's the easy fix.

Of course most might just try a new relay and not go to work with a multimeter & scope. Hey, in a pinch, that's what I'd do....

How's it working out?

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 05-23-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 PM

I'll try the relay first....