Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 PM
RBinDC RBinDC is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 984
Mein Auto: 335is Coupe
Low battery Icon - redux

Several months ago I had a low battery icon show up. I bought a CTEC 3300 battery tender and hooked it up. The icon never came back on but the CTEC never indicated the battery was fully charged even after 72 uninterrupted hours of charging.

Yesterday I took the car in for the recall and asked my SA to check my battery. The report came back stating that it was discharging because I had left my iPhone charger plugged into the power outlet in the center console. Apparently just plugging it in causes the system to not fully shut down, slowly draining the battery.

The lesson is to not leave anything plugged into the power outlet when not in use.

Time to hook up the CTEC again and see if it fully charges the battery now. If not, it's going back to the manufacturer for a check-up.

Last edited by RBinDC; 05-23-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Tom K. Tom K. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,569
Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
While I don't recharge stuff from the car, that's very useful info. It really seems like BMW could have included a simple voltage readout in the OBC, given the complexity of their electrical systems.

At any rate, let us know if the battery finally gets fully charged.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2013, 05:11 PM
RBinDC RBinDC is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 984
Mein Auto: 335is Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
It really seems like BMW could have included a simple voltage readout in the OBC, given the complexity of their electrical systems.

Tom
There is a way to check the voltage from the iDrive or the stack on the steering column but it involves going through a series of steps that are cumbersome.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM
pointandgo's Avatar
pointandgo pointandgo is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,753
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBinDC View Post
Several months ago I had a low battery icon show up. I bought a CTEC 3300 battery tender and hooked it up. The icon never came back on but the CTEC never indicated the battery was fully charged even after 72 uninterrupted hours of charging.

Yesterday I took the car in for the recall and asked my SA to check my battery. The report came back stating that it was discharging because I had left my iPhone charger plugged into the power outlet in the center console. Apparently just plugging it in causes the system to not fully shut down, slowly draining the battery.

The lesson is to not leave anything plugged into the power outlet when not in use.

Time to hook up the CTEC again and see if it fully charges the battery now. If not, it's going back to the manufacturer for a check-up.
Interesting...thanks for the post. Other than the info you've posted, do you put many miles on the car on a daily basis? Short commutes?
__________________
F30 328i
E90 328i
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
unrealii unrealii is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
I plug in under the passenger side console and that shuts off when my car shuts off. Can you keep your charger plugged in and see if its still active after the car is off?
__________________
2009 335i 6MT M-Sport AW/CR Convertible & Border Collie
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM
RBinDC RBinDC is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 984
Mein Auto: 335is Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
Can you keep your charger plugged in and see if its still active after the car is off?
When I shut the car down the charger is not active, i.e., it won't charge my iPhone. However, according to the dealer, the computer does not fully shut down because it is aware that the charger is plugged in. It's the slow trickle of energy that the computer consumes in this standby mode that runs down the battery over time.

That's my understanding of what my SA told me. Is it true? Who knows.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms